HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:53 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Hey Capt, thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Do you have plans for the LG?

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,762 Posts
All - Thanks for all the kind comments. Although I lied when I said I'd been flying RC for 18 months - it's more like 2 1/2 years. However I've always enjoyed building models since I was kid.

John - The retracts will will remain as stock for now as they seem to funtion okay for now. I'm using a single Bluebird low profile high torque 705MG std servo. Some detail will be added to the main gear doors -
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:11 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
All - Thanks for all the kind comments. Although I lied when I said I'd been flying RC for 18 months - it's more like 2 1/2 years. However I've always enjoyed building models since I was kid.

John - The retracts will will remain as stock for now as they seem to funtion okay for now. I'm using a single Bluebird low profile high torque 705MG std servo. Some detail will be added to the main gear doors -
John-- Did I miss it or did you post a pick of your retracts servo set up?

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Ok so nothing too indepth here but I think pretty self explanatory from the pics. My plan was to remove the top part of the leg that fits into the retract on the new suspension LG as shown in 2nd pic, it is held in with 2 x hex grub screws. Then cut the top of the original LG and swap them over to save having to bend the new one. Unfortuanately the suspension LG leg is 4.96mm Dia and the orig LG is 5.02 dia, albeit not alot of difference unfortunately it will not fit without modification into the brass bush in the end of the new suspension LG. I guess I have 3 options

1. bend the new leg to fit (I think quite difficult to bend exactly)

2. get the orig LG leg down to the correct Dia

3. drill out the brass bush (maybe easiest)

John
Thats all I've posted of my LG so far, Im waiting for some of those electric retracts from HK.

John
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Hey Capt, thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Do you have plans for the LG?

John
I might add that eventually my intention is to install some spring type struts similiar, if not the same to your set up. I ordered some from Hobby City but they're on BO along with most everything else I needed including servo-less retracts. Whether it'll be the wait that remains to be seen.

Also, I did tighten up the stock retracts by dissassemling and sanding both the inside halves and reassembling. You just need to grind the screws back down or they'll bind as they move up and down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:34 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,471 Posts
capteasy....have you ran that motor yet? reason i ask, is i got one for my CMP P-51 to run a 15x12 4 blade on 4s. i had a 42 50 in it before, and i had a number of magnets let go, so i decided to upgrade...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:46 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
capteasy....have you ran that motor yet? reason i ask, is i got one for my CMP P-51 to run a 15x12 4 blade on 4s. i had a 42 50 in it before, and i had a number of magnets let go, so i decided to upgrade...
I ran it up a few times just as a quick function check and it was ok, but I don't think it was run WOT....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:50 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
HK Digital servoless retracts. They're back in stock....be quick.... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14838

John
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:12 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post

Ah.. this reminded me..

CaptE.. one thing I THINK has contributed to the many flights I've had with my conversions.. especially this Spitfire has been opening up my larger electric motors and checking everything over. In fact, with these Turnigy motors, I have unseated and reglued the magnets (with Hysol or JB Weld) and checked, replaced or lubed the bearings before re-assembly.

This didn't used to be a problem with Turnigy motors 6 months ago.. but a lot of my newer motors (63-64, 42-60, 50-55s, and the 63-74) have had issues.

I know it may be okay.. in fact if everything is fine after a few static tests running 5 mins or so then you don't need to go through the hassles. I just check for the obvious.. weird noises, REALLY HOT motors after flights and mainly the can coming loose or the magnets starting to slide backward.

You've got such a nice scale plane there with a lot of work .. I just didin't want something like this to ruin it.

HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:51 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Ah.. this reminded me..

CaptE.. one thing I THINK has contributed to the many flights I've had with my conversions.. especially this Spitfire has been opening up my larger electric motors and checking everything over. In fact, with these Turnigy motors, I have unseated and reglued the magnets (with Hysol or JB Weld) and checked, replaced or lubed the bearings before re-assembly.

This didn't used to be a problem with Turnigy motors 6 months ago.. but a lot of my newer motors (63-64, 42-60, 50-55s, and the 63-74) have had issues.

I know it may be okay.. in fact if everything is fine after a few static tests running 5 mins or so then you don't need to go through the hassles. I just check for the obvious.. weird noises, REALLY HOT motors after flights and mainly the can coming loose or the magnets starting to slide backward.

You've got such a nice scale plane there with a lot of work .. I just didin't want something like this to ruin it.

Thanks buddy...and I appreciate that. I'll take your advice seriously. I have a TGY 6364 mounted in a 15 lb P-6E Hawk so that will get a good once over prior to maiden as well.
Thanks again.

Man wx looks good here tomorrow...might have to try the other Spitty out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:18 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,551 Posts
Awesome..! I love that 63-64 SK motor.. but I was cursing HK as I was unseating each magnet... applying alcohol.. cleaning out.. applying hysol.. reseating.. pressing down.. cleaning up.. on ALL 14 Magnets!

But with a little work these $60 motors run as well as those expensive AXIs..

Sure enough.. on my CMP Mossie's 2nd flight, one of the 42-60 SKs locked up.. i was insanely lucky to get her down with full opposite rudder. Damaged one gear bay mount but i'll take it since I haven't seen many successful saves when a motor quits on these heavier twins..

I couldn't believe four magnets slid out.. one smashed the stator. I'm not sure what's going on with HK.. most of my older motors ran fine.

Oh well..

A P6 huh? Nice! I don't see those much... best of luck..

I'm hoping to maiden my ESM BF 110 early next year... need to lighten her up though I think she's coming in at around 24lbs.. yikes..

Merry Christmas all!
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Dec 24, 2010, 04:26 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Merry Christmas t'y'all too!

John
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:23 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Question about this magnet issue:

I've got a couple of these 63-64 motors. Haven't flown either of them yet, but have one of them mounted in the CMP Me109 that I'm working on. I'm new to this whole magnet repair thing. Is there any reason you couldn't just run a good coat of epoxy around inside the entire bell, coating all the magnets in one thin sheet of epoxy? What you guys are doing seems excessive to me.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:32 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,471 Posts
ive never had a problem with the 63 64's. ive onlyhad issues with the 42 range motors. ive been flying my 230kv 6364 on 8s and 9s for over 3 years now. 0 issues. even had a pretty bad crash, dusted it off, and kept using it. ive got a 280kv 63 64 ive been running on 8s at 2600W in my BH corsair, and ive never had a issue, probably 100 flights or more. that one is about 10 monthsold. i jus ranmy first SK motor last night the 50 55 580. ran on 4s with a 15.5" 4 blade in mycmp p-51. so far so good....if the wind isok, ill test fly it today and let you know. if its going to happen, it seems to happen right off the bat
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:56 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
So you're saying just stick any new SK motor you have on the bench and run it for five or ten minutes just to see if the magnets toss? It takes that much time to run some epoxy in there to make sure it doesn't.

But regardless, back to my original question. If you decided you wanted to epoxy one of these things for any reason, rather than peeling all the magnets off, using alcohol to remove excess whatever, then using hysol to stick them back on, would it be okay to just use 5 minute epoxy to lightly coat the entire magnet bell? The reason I ask is that after hearing about so many people losing magnets, I figured I'd just glue them in to start with and already did the 5 minute epoxy on my first 63-64, which is already mounted in the plane and ready to go.

I don't want to pull that motor off unless somebody tells me I shouldn't have used epoxy in the manner that I did.

Make sense?

Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member