HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Lol.. Well 'Colour of war' for you abroad.. Is a WWII documentary from the History Channel. It's great footage, a lot of it unseen and in colour of course. It's several hours.. And Netflix has it on instant streaming. I watched the entire thing on my plasma through my playstation 3 online. Amazing aviation footage.. 109s strafing b17s.. The RAF night bombing footage etc..
Sounds great, PS3 fired up!

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:30 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys..

Just wanted to chime in.. the paint issue.. yeah.. if you can I say get some Krylon Matte finish and it should curb the peeling/chipping issue a bit.

I used it on my CMP Mossie, CMP 109, CMP P 40 and my 50 CMP Zero as well as my 120 sized one and it really helps hold that paint on. I figure CMP uses the same painting process on most of it's warbirds.

I also took a few pics this weekend... decided to get a few flights.. I lost count but it's up there! Still using my $3 3.25" Astral Spinner (Dubro clone?).. it's amazingly smooth and perfectly balanced..

All your Spits look great! Hope to see more pics/video...

Anyway.. here's my battered/paint chipped, burnt up-hangar rashed beater..
I still think your plane looks pretty good....
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
These oleos are the perfect length and are dirt cheap.
http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...roducts_id/679

They fit in these dirt cheap retracts.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-91-ere...-onepiece.html
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:21 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
These oleos are the perfect length and are dirt cheap.
http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...roducts_id/679

They fit in these dirt cheap retracts.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-91-ere...-onepiece.html

Geez.. that's a great find.. I'm going to order a couple sets. Especially at that price!
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Sounds great, PS3 fired up!

John
Awesome! I know you'll love it.., it was the first time I felt having Netflix was worth the cost!

It really was an incredible documentary series. I wasn't even born here but this crystallized the amazing sacrifices that generation made during WWII.

It's discouraging when a lot of my friends and co-workers don't even know who was fighting on what side, how significant the war was and the impact it had shaping the world powers.

I hope you enjoy it, i guarantee 'The Air War' will amaze you!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:29 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I still think your plane looks pretty good....
Thanks buddy!

I want to retire her soon.. but i just can't bring myself to do it... I'm going to have a friend of mine take some video of it during the Thanksgiving holiday... don't worry.. i'll put her through her paces!

BTW: Happy Thanksgiving everyone.. I hope all of you have a wonderful time with your fiends/family or both!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:19 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
Top Cowl

Quote:
Thanks buddy!

I want to retire her soon.. but i just can't bring myself to do it... I'm going to have a friend of mine take some video of it during the Thanksgiving holiday... don't worry.. i'll put her through her paces!

BTW: Happy Thanksgiving everyone.. I hope all of you have a wonderful time with your fiends/family or both!
HK - I think I understand how you feel - especially if she still flies so well. We'll look forward to the video...

Are you guys ready for this....the top cowl was cut and separated from the bottom cowl this afternoon. It was a wild idea I had some time back but was very hesitant to follow through on it. The theory was to provide easy access for motor and Rx batteries and move weight around to adjust CG. My preliminary balance indicated a definate tail heavy attitude.
Anyway it's done and it came out pretty well. It'll be re-enforced along both ends and sides with 2oz fb and light ply and magnets securing it in place.
I need to install a tray for the motor bat, but the Rx bat should will lay flat on top of the internal framework and as far fwd and necessary.
Originaly I'd planned on painting it today.......right.

Happy Thanksgiving

keep-it ta gether
keep-it-ta-gether
keep-it-ta-gether
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 21, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
Who thinks of crazy crap like that?!

CaptEasy, that's who!

"Yours are way bigger than mine" is all I can say!

It turned out better than I would have imagined. It'll be interesting to see how you like it after flying it's while.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:33 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
That is some amazing work CaptE!

It'll make things easier that's for sure. It's always a hassle getting my battery to fit and when I need to work on my motor.

Looks great, almost like it was done in the factory.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:50 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Nice work again Capt. What did you use to cut the cowl with so accurately?

What diameter wheels do you guys suggest would be the most scale for this model?

Thanks, John
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
More mods

....yeah, it was crazy for sure. I really was unsure about it but glad I did it. The main battery fits a whole lot better and further fwd now and I'm very pleased so far.

A sharp, fine tooth razor saw was used. The hardest part was cutting the fwd edge along the top of the firewall but if you're carefull and take time it's dead easy. Masking off all the edges with some blue tape helps to guide the cut.
After studying the internal structure, the ply bulkheads were separated and the top cowl removed and cleaned up. Before leaping off onto this crazy idea, the exhaust ports were opened up a while ago, and I could see what needed to done a little easier.

The stock wheel inserts are too shallow for my stock gear to lock in the up position so now it looks like they'll have to be modified. The soluton may include using a portion of them combined with some small, plastic 4 oz. yogurt cups I've saved and discovered of similiar dia....this will also easily allow larger dia tires of at least 57 mm or more. After that maybe I can finally get some painting. Inbetween, there's also a turkey waiting to be cooked.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 22, 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:18 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
CaptEasy-- Why bother with the stock inserts at all? They only add weight and really do nothing for the looks. A little balsa or cardstock Cya'd in place top to bottom around the opening and you're done. That's what I'll do after getting the etracts in place. OOS at HK. Waiting patiently.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I use 2.75" wheels without wheel wells perfect fit.. Even without wells the gear does not extend to the stop. No worries for my e-flite retracts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Thanks for the reply Capt re the razor saw, I haven't used one before and have just been checking them out, how many TPI is the blade you used? Thanks too Mike, do you have any pics/vid of your retracts in action?

John
Last edited by johnUK66; Nov 22, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:35 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
yeah, somewhere in this very thread, I think