Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Mine came in at 7.1 lbs.

A123 1100mah Rx Battery
6s 4000mah
1 hs75 retract servo
hxt 5010s all around
50-55 Sk

No weight added.. but I did have to gut almost all of the wood in the nose to be able to slide the battery as far forward as possible. Yes.. it does have a fairly heavy wing loading but it surprises me how slow you can bring it in for landings.

I ordered a few rolls of Solartex and will be re-covering/re-painting the entire plane soon since there are so many holes and rips. I was given a new airframe from a club buddy that I'm going to keep stock, so i'm looking for a totally different scheme for this one. I think i'll do one of the clipped wing low level fighter versions.

I really like that Balsacraft Spitfire!

Congrats on the maidens guys and CaptE the flaps look great!
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:40 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Where are you balancing your planes, guys? Mine is as per the instructions. At the wing root next to the fairing of the wing, that puts it a little bit behind the panel line that comes down the side of the fuselage at the fairing. About 1 cm behind that panel line. I had to add quite a bit of down elevator to compensate for the tail-heavyness. And I added an entire stick of lead to the side of the motor and an extra 750mah lipo on the other side of the motor in the nose just to get it that close.

My setup is about the same as HKing_PwnsMe. I did add a little pilot, and I did a pull-pull system for my rudder because I figured it'd save tail weight over that metal/carbon rod setup.

It makes no sense to me. I'm going to be adding another 3 or 4 ounces in the nose.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:55 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
lol..

My plane actually balances a bit forward of where you have yours WOC..

I really don't know what the deal is.. but I do have a full motor mount assembly up front (four Hobbyking Standoffs and an X mount). My A123 Rx battery is mounted up front and ESC is mounted in the front cowl as well.

My battery is as far forward as possible, it butts up against the scoop assembly. It balances fine.. in fact.. we all know what would have happened if it were even a little tail heavy.

I'm hoping to get started on that new airframe soon.. i haven't taken my old spit out in some time so i think i'll give her a few circuits tomorrow.

Happy flying all!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:16 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Where are you balancing your planes, guys? Mine is as per the instructions. At the wing root next to the fairing of the wing, that puts it a little bit behind the panel line that comes down the side of the fuselage at the fairing. About 1 cm behind that panel line. I had to add quite a bit of down elevator to compensate for the tail-heavyness.
How far from the leading edge is this mark?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Mike-- I'll measure and post it for you tomorrow. I think its 4".
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:36 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,936 Posts
Don Blakeslee 133 Eagle Sqn

Latest update on my build:

Picked up some latex paint samples at Lowes as near as I could to match - the later camo scheme of Dk Green; Med Sea Grey; Ocean Grey; Sky (spinner,fuse band & code)
I'll be lightly sanding the orig finish and feathering the invasion stripes next, then adding the new paint.
The plan is to detail it representing Don Blakeslee's Mk.Vb when he was with 133 Eagle Sqn. and complement a future P-51B ARF, (Don Gentile's Shangrila) e-Flite's introducing this month.

There's some exciting work to look forward to carrying out yet and except for the paint prep I'm really itching to get after it.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:46 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I've never had a painted plane have the paint chip like this one. I idon't really mind, because it looks so good....so far.

Got my retracts returned from Horizon... will have the 3rd flight tomorrow. We are lucky to have 65F days this late in the year.

Also received the aluminum H9 spinner, looks pretty good. Will leave it unpainted. But if i were flying electric I'd paint it for sure.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:46 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Flew it today in 10mph winds. It doesn't mind that wind whatsoever.
The aluminum spinner rubbed the cowling a bit. I knew it was going to be close. I'll have to add a shim of sandpaper or something to stand it off another millimeter or so. For now I'll use the stock spinner. It looks not bad. The stock spinner is a slightly larger diameter.

bounced 1 landing all the way down the runway. Eflite .25 retracts had no issues.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:11 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
I dont know if any of you chaps have seen these, fairly pricey and a bit on the large side for this particular spit....but hey, who knows what projects the future may hold!

http://www.inzpan.com/Supermarine_Sp...kpit_s/130.htm

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:32 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Also received the aluminum H9 spinner, looks pretty good. Will leave it unpainted. But if i were flying electric I'd paint it for sure.
Have you considered getting it powder coated? I have the Prospin aluminum spinner and enquired locally about getting mine powder coated and was quoted about 6. I dont know if this could cause balance issues?

John
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:16 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I looked for someone to powder coat it and was unsuccessful. I will look back into that.
That is a good idea.

I just watched "Color of War". I might get it powdercoated RED if I ever get a chance.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:16 AM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Hey guys..

Just wanted to chime in.. the paint issue.. yeah.. if you can I say get some Krylon Matte finish and it should curb the peeling/chipping issue a bit.

I used it on my CMP Mossie, CMP 109, CMP P 40 and my 50 CMP Zero as well as my 120 sized one and it really helps hold that paint on. I figure CMP uses the same painting process on most of it's warbirds.

I also took a few pics this weekend... decided to get a few flights.. I lost count but it's up there! Still using my $3 3.25" Astral Spinner (Dubro clone?).. it's amazingly smooth and perfectly balanced..

All your Spits look great! Hope to see more pics/video...

Anyway.. here's my battered/paint chipped, burnt up-hangar rashed beater..
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:18 AM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
I looked for someone to powder coat it and was unsuccessful. I will look back into that.
That is a good idea.

I just watched "Color of War". I might get it powdercoated RED if I ever get a chance.

I loved "Color of War".. that chapter on the air war was amazing. I need to find an Avro Lancaster!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
I loved "Color of War".. that chapter on the air war was amazing. I need to find an Avro Lancaster!
What is this "Color (spelt incorrectly ) of war" you speak of?

John
Old Nov 21, 2010, 01:36 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
What is this "Color (spelt incorrectly ) of war" you speak of?

John
Lol.. Well 'Colour of war' for you abroad.. Is a WWII documentary from the History Channel. It's great footage, a lot of it unseen and in colour of course. It's several hours.. And Netflix has it on instant streaming. I watched the entire thing on my plasma through my playstation 3 online. Amazing aviation footage.. 109s strafing b17s.. The RAF night bombing footage etc..