HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:41 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Okay sounds like the wheel wells get put aside then...I'd like to install some slightly larger 57mm wheels anyway. I had some 57mm (2-1/4") Hanger 9 Pro-Lite narrow-width scale wheels that would look great, but the hubs won't allow to be drilled out large enough for those huge stock axels. Bugger.

The main gear seems to be operational now...so the wing is epoxied, and joined up. Tomorrow I hope to fit the wing to the fuse and line everything up before drilling and epoxying the blind nuts.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:27 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
It sounds like I'm at the same point you are Capteasy. Everything's done on my second Spit except mounting the wing, which I hope to do in the morning.

If everything goes well, I'll maiden Friday morning and fly it all weekend at the warbird event down in St. George, Utah. I can't wait!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:07 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
It sounds like I'm at the same point you are Capteasy. Everything's done on my second Spit except mounting the wing, which I hope to do in the morning.

If everything goes well, I'll maiden Friday morning and fly it all weekend at the warbird event down in St. George, Utah. I can't wait!
Excellent...hope you get it ready in time.
I was in St. George a long time ago while in the Utah National Guard and found myself at the airport watching a big old TBM Avenger taxi in. It was being used as a Fire Bomber or an Ag Plane, I can't remember, but I never forgot the impression it made.

I hope you have a ball this weekend. Post some vid or photos for us if you can....

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 17, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:02 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Yeah baby. We'll be staying right there by the airport in St. George. The new club airfield (I mean NEW - they just barely finished putting it in) is a couple miles form the GA airport. Their old club airstrip got taken over by the city to build a bigger airport that can handle airliners. I'll definitely post some pics, and possibly some on-board video from the Spit.

The wing is glued together & hatch is in, just gotta glue in the nuts to bolt it down and I'm done. Hour or two max. Then it's pack and drive for four hours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
... Herb-- She does like to glide on and not slow down. She could use flaps alright. Mike
I did have one perfect (very short) landing before I put in the "gear doors" (if they might be called so ).

After I put the gear doors in, she started to get a bit more unstable in the landing pattern so I did not want to slow her down too much.

It's my 4-th Spit - and possibly the one with the highest wingloading.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:12 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I was probably already noted before, but Z-FU was a Mk. IX. The paint scheme is nice but a bit "phantasy"...

Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:34 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
What color would call the spinner? I have an aluminum one and need to decide what color, if any, to paint it.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:12 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Spinnier Color

There were variations depending on Theator of Opn but it would be correct to paint the spinner either Black or "Sky". Early Mk's I-V could be one or the other. The attachment represents RAF "Sky"....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:30 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I did have one perfect (very short) landing before I put in the "gear doors" (if they might be called so ).

After I put the gear doors in, she started to get a bit more unstable in the landing pattern so I did not want to slow her down too much.

It's my 4-th Spit - and possibly the one with the highest wingloading.

What's the AUW on your CMP Spit....?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:48 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
What do all of your planes weigh? Mine is around 7lbs full of fuel
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:21 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
My finished Spit was 7 lbs 8 oz. I don't know why it came in heavier than everybody else's. I just built it stock, but I had to put a TON of lead in the nose to get it to balance, and I still couldn't get it right. I had to just fly it a little tail heavy. Got five flights in this weekend with it. Flies great. My first landing the gear collapsed (not sure why, I may have just bumped the switch), which roasted my 3-blade prop. So I pulled off the spinner and flew with with a 2-blade 12x10.

I'm flying with a 6S 4000mah battery, but it's coming down too hot, so I'm gonna change to a 12x8 3-blade and put my spinner back on, then cut a hole in the hatch for air to get in.

I forgot to get pictures of it at the fly-in this weekend, sorry. Every time I went to fly it, my buddies all wanted to fly at the same time because we always do formation flying. We had four guys doing formation patterns together (3 spits & 1 me109). Sweet!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
7.1 lbs rtf

6S 3000's, no lead in the nose
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:29 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Herb, what motor are you using?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:11 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Mine weighs in at just under or about 7 lbs less a servo regulator, BEC and Rx battery.

Turnigy SK 5055-580 4s 5000 80 A ESC

What size lipo Rx batteries would be the best?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:54 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
My Spitty weighs in at just about 7 pounds AUW. I didn't have to add any lead to the nose at all in fact I had to move the lipos back a little to attain CG. Only change from the photos in the link below is that I ended up using two 3s 4000mah packs for 6s. I also use a dedicated RX pack and not a BEC. I don't have a retract servo in place. The gear is fixed for now until I get the etracts for it. Weight won't increase with etracts. I bet that they're lighter than the mech retracts and associated servos.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=438
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303