HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,946 Posts
No maiden today. Way too windy. Maybe during the week. Congrats on your successful maiden.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Props
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:11 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Mine is ready to fly. But the weather is crap. Wrong time of the year....for a long time. Maybe I'll get lucky with some dry, low-wind days soon. Might as well order the H9 P-51 spinner. Not sure if I will paint it or leave it bare.

Watched a show on the history channel from the DVR. They had a Spitfire with 3 blades on there. Did not know they existed. They ALSO had a still-flying Hurricane with a bare-metal spinner. Even though they probably didn't use them in the war, at least I can tell people that bare spinners are scale!

Since I am going 4-stroke, I usually use an electric starter. That will mar the stock plastic spinner and cause grief with painted spinners. For now, I will use the stock spinner (it looks great) and hand start it perhaps.

I found the H9 P51 spinner for 26 dollars, or I'd have spent 70 or so for the TruTurn 3-blade anodized. Dang, that's expensive.

Has anyone sanded the stacks down so they don't stick out so far? Or does it look better than I think does, sticking out that far?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:50 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Mine is ready to fly. But the weather is crap. Wrong time of the year....for a long time. Maybe I'll get lucky with some dry, low-wind days soon. Might as well order the H9 P-51 spinner. Not sure if I will paint it or leave it bare.

Watched a show on the history channel from the DVR. They had a Spitfire with 3 blades on there. Did not know they existed. They ALSO had a still-flying Hurricane with a bare-metal spinner. Even though they probably didn't use them in the war, at least I can tell people that bare spinners are scale!

Since I am going 4-stroke, I usually use an electric starter. That will mar the stock plastic spinner and cause grief with painted spinners. For now, I will use the stock spinner (it looks great) and hand start it perhaps.

I found the H9 P51 spinner for 26 dollars, or I'd have spent 70 or so for the TruTurn 3-blade anodized. Dang, that's expensive.

Has anyone sanded the stacks down so they don't stick out so far? Or does it look better than I think does, sticking out that far?
The earliest Mk.Ia Spits actually had two blade, fixed-pitch wooden props. Improvements quickly led to Two-Position Three Blade, and Constant Speed Three, and Four Blade. Eventully to Five-Blade and Contra Rotating Six-Blade.
It just goes to illustrate how much this airplane's original engineering lent itself to continual upgrades....
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:00 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,687 Posts
I had intended to get some video and pics up with the flap mod but came down with flu or something.
The flaps are installed but I'm not satisfied the current CA Hinges allow enough free movement. They're too stiff I think and bind a little bit in the full up and desired full down position (45 deg +/-), causing the servos to protest a little. So, I intend to change out the CA Hinges for some small Nylon Pinned Hinges and get it right. Probably will put in a servo speed regulator also.

Following that, the UC will be installed with a single proportional rate servo and TGY servo speed regulator. The wing will go together, and attached to the fuselage. Final painting, decals and any last details will be made following taxi and flight testing.

getting closer...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 04, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:51 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,946 Posts
I almost maidened her yesterday evening when I thought that the winds had slackened some. I tossed up the Sea Fury to "test" the air. No too bad so I did a few circuits to warm up my brain and limber up my thumbs. Landed her and powered up the Spitty. With the 800-900w on tap she has plenty of go. Did some quick taxi testing and found that my free castoring tail wheel was a bit too free castoring on the smooth runway (baseball diamond infield). Drove around for ten minutes trying to get a feel for the handling which was about eight minutes too long. I'd lost daylight enough to fly a get plane in a very sky. No go. Before packing up and walking home I thought to give her a go in the grass. Pretty darn good. Either I have to rework the tail wheel set up or stick to the greens.

Maybe Saturday. Have to remember to top up the lipos after work tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2010, 01:04 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,687 Posts
A few questions:

1. Were the stock retract control rods pre-bent at all - I just noticed they need to clear the bottom of the stock retract body

2. Any issues with the stock retracts?

3. How did weight and balance come out maintain CG 4.0" +/-
using the Turnigy SK50-55 and 4s 5000bat

4. Was there a supplied tail wheel...?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 05, 2010, 01:24 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,779 Posts
CaptEasy,

The stock retracts do have minor issues. The metal rod itself needs to be bent slightly to clear the plastic body of the retract. Also, depending on the height of your servo head and position of the servo arm, you may need to cut away some of the center balsa formers so that the metal rod going to the servo can move unobstructed. The retracts themselves are good, and hold up fine.

They just need a little adjustment to get the motion of the metal rod moving cleanly and without obstruction.

Mine came with a tail wheel.

CG is always an issue of where you place your main battery on electrics. Not sure about you gassers.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2010, 01:31 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
The tail wheel is in the fuel tank bag....
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:09 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Here's my retracts with 2 3/4" wheels:

Eflite retracts on CMP Spitfire .50 (0 min 20 sec)
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Pic

Heres a Pic of mine cobbled together ......

Its an ASP FS61AR (4 stroke) and PRO SPIN 3 1/4" Aluminum Spinner

I understand this isnt a nitro build thread but anybody know if the ASP FS91AR will fit in?

Thanks, John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:07 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
It'd fit one way or another. It could certainly use the weight.
Added advantage is your can swing a larger 3-blade prop...
Old Nov 06, 2010, 02:20 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,946 Posts
Guess what I just did? I just got back from maidening my Spitfire and she flies great! My mod for a free castoring tail wheel seemed to work ok this time. Only a pita during taxiing I guess. Now for the blow by blow: Did a thorough preflight, all surfaces moving correctly, tugged on the hinges, checked alignments, run up to WOT. A-ok. There's a slight 3-5 mph crosswind from the left quarter but I decided that at a little over 6 1/2 pounds and around 900w she'd be fine. I wanted her heading out over the longest part of the field for this flight and I wanted to take off from the baseball diamond and started at 3rd base. She's lined up just right headed for 2nd base, I ease on the amps and she tracks straight for the first 10 feet then starts the I-like-NASCAR-let's-go-left-now curve, I only correct with a little right rudder because I'm afraid she'll want to ground loop and she's already cooking along at a pretty fast pace. She makes it to almost 90 degrees from the original heading, gets to the edge of the grass, gives a little hop at the grass verge and she's flying. I didn't do anything but keep the wings level as she climbed out. I fed in some right aileron to steer her away from the tree line and did a few circuits to let her climb out gently. I had to go to low rates on the ailerons after the very first turn. She likes to roll fast. I gave her a few beeps of up elevator and did a few more circuits then I gave her a beep or two of down and she was holding altitude well at half throttle. Needed a few clicks of aileron first one way then the other to fine tune and she was good. Flew for about 4-5 minutes fast and slow, high and low. Did a nice roll and then a pretty big loop, not giant but pretty darn big. Looked good and I don't think that I was even at full throttle for the climb to the top. Poured on the juice and got her up about 200 feet and then started to slow her down to find the stall. Slower and slower without any back stick and she started to wobble ever so slightly but the ailerons remained effective enough to counter the rocking. She just started doing the Spitfire mush then dropped her nose. I let her gather some speed thenbrought her around for a few low passes (low for me on a maiden is 20-30 feet up). Did another circuit or two to see whaere she needed to be for final and just brought her in just about into the wind which had changed direction a little. Not on the nose but close enough for a longish approach. She really builds up the speed coming downhill. I'd intended to fly her all the way down with some power but she just cruised along in ground effect for about 50-60 feet so I eased off the throttle but was ready to ease it back on if needed. She finally settled in for a nice but hot wheel landing in the grass. She rolled for a good bit then nosed over while still moving fairly fast but slow enough to stop in about 3 feet without any damage. Except for a little bit of nerves fiddling around trying to locate the trims on the Multiplex Evo9 without looking away from the plane it was pretty stress free.

Photos are from after the maiden. The tape is obviously only temporary. Have to finish her now that I know it flies well. I might change to Dubro rubber wheels. Should slow her down a little faster and have pretty good shock absorption.

I like this one.

Mike

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Nov 06, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:36 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Maidened mine today too. Was touchy in the air. dialed some more expo. Needed a mix between throttle and elevator, otherwise it will rise on throttle. Came in hot and it rolled on it's mains in the grass for 75'. Looked wonderful. 2nd flight came in too slow and retracts need some replacement parts....my fault, i cut the struts too short on the retract housing side.

Folks at the field were impressed with the plane. It looks wonderful.

The paint already has some hanger rash. oops. cracks easily.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:44 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,946 Posts
Congrats Mike. The two Mike's maiden today. That's something. I didn't feel that mine was touchy really. I have her CG about 1/4" ahead of the 4" mark which is just a tick ahead of where or friend HKing_ reccommends and with just a few mm more throw on the elevator at high rate:

"Thanks guys! I think just been really lucky more than anything else!

My cg is set at 3.85-4" from the wing root (it varies if I fly 6s or 5s) but this hasn't affected it's performance much.

Throws are 10mm up and 10mm down on elevator and max throws on ailerons (15-20mm).
I did change out the stock elevator setup for a Y type pushrod system. I noticed one of the elevators would give a little at high speeds causing it to snap..

Best of luck on your maiden CarreraGTSCS... i think you'll both be surprised how well she'll land (as long you don't just cut throttle and try to glide her in). I keep her at about 1/4 throttle on my approach, backing down to 1/8th or so as she passes the threshold and she'll settle right in. Of course.. no big last minute elevator movements as she gets close to the ground"

Thanks HKing for your advice!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Maidened mine today too. Was touchy in the air. dialed some more expo. Needed a mix between throttle and elevator, otherwise it will rise on throttle. Came in hot and it rolled on it's mains in the grass for 75'. Looked wonderful. 2nd flight came in too slow and retracts need some replacement parts....my fault, i cut the struts too short on the retract housing side.

Folks at the field were impressed with the plane. It looks wonderful.

The paint already has some hanger rash. oops. cracks easily.
Mike-- I got a pair of the larger Ping Zheng etracts in the mail today from Hobby King. They look the part, they're bigger and a little heavier and are ready made for the larger 4mm (or5mm) strut. Don't remember which size it is. Looks to be just about a drop in replacement. Something like $7.50 each. Just a though.

Mike
RCG Plus Member