SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:28 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I used windows paint program printing on card stock. Spray adhesive. I cannot believe how wonderful it looks.

ALL ARFs should provide this. My goodness, it's great.

Wind_of_Change, have you done any other cockpits?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:39 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
Mike,

I totally agree, I can't believe how absolutely LAME the cockpit decals are that they put inside these planes. I mean, even the really expensive ones barely get a few completely WRONG dials and gauges. And it's the EASIEST thing to do, which just doesn't compute!

I've only done a cockpit like this for one other plane, but lost the file when my computer drive died.

I'm a computer graphics artist, so whipping stuff like this out is no big deal - as long as I can find some decent reference for it.

My next plane is the 73" CMP BF109G. I may do a cockpit print for that, either that or buy one of those aftermarket cockpit kits. I haven't decided. Then I've got the Pilatus PC-21 from EMS after that, and it's DEFINITELY getting a detailed cockpit like I did for the SPIT. The one it came with is just putrid.

Todd
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:55 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
My plane came with 2 canopies. If I ever find a suitable pilot, maybe I'll rip the canopy off and install pilot and use a brand new canopy to enclose him.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I finally got around to reading this entire thread. Took HOURS.

I have the E-Flight electric retracts w/robostruts installed with 2.75" wheels.
I've removed the wheel liners and painted the exposed wood black.

E-Flite Electric retracts are simply great and without equal in this hobby for value and functionality. I encourage you boys to try them. New sizes and models coming out all the time.

I love 3-blade spinners on all my warbirds. Pickings are slim. There's a lot of posts out of these almost 700 dealing with the spinners. Maybe the balance is not as crucial on Glow 4-strokes, but the shape is important to me too. Probably more so than balance. Probably more so than 3 blade vs 2 blade. Of course the real plane had 4 (or 5) blades so 3 is no more scale than 2, but it just seems closer.

Bare aluminum does not look right. Painted aluminum is a PITA for electric starters (that is the biggest advantage for electric over glow, boys. )
Electric guys that don't care about 3 blades would be happy with the the H9 P-51 3.25" for 34 dollars.

This one looks great:

Somehow it is the same spinner as:

The shape seems entirely different. How can that be? I've no idea.

Maybe the best option for: 3 blades, shape, size, and color is the TruTurn 3.25" Parabolic, anodized.

69 dollars plush shipping, if u get the 16 dollar anodize option. It's worth it.

Anoidizing comes in several colors including red, black, and blue.
Which color would be best?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:21 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Mike,

I totally agree, I can't believe how absolutely LAME the cockpit decals are that they put inside these planes.
Todd

Did you ever get your 2nd one of these planes completed?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I don't see any posts in here complaining about the suggested CoG, Which is about 4 inches back from the leading edge at the fuse. Is that where everyone is flying theirs?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:44 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
Mike,

Nope, I haven't done #2 yet. It's all out of the box, sitting on the bench ready to get started. I've been a bit busy with work, which is a good thing. Helps pay for the hobby. But I'm itching to get a couple of free days to crank it out. It's a quick-building plane. Two of my friends have build this plane and love it. I want to get all three of us flying together in formation.

I believe I flew it barely in front of the suggested CG. It's always a good idea to start a little forward anyway and work your way back to a comfortable position.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:36 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
There's nothing on my bench right now so maybe I can finish what I started!

Mike E-- Is that 3-blade spinner in the second photo from Tru-Turn? I like the looks of it. Probably wouldn't be that much of a hassle to vacuform one from something like .060 plastic. Should be sturdy and light enough to do the job. Wouldn't survive more than one or two noseovers though.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:52 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Wow... good to see this thread still putting along. I just got myself another airframe and think i'll build a second one vs keeping it around for spares. Still flying my original one... logged flight 125 this past Sunday.. I think i'll retire her if I ever get to #200

Poor plane.. so much of the original paint job has disintegrated.. still flies as good as it did on day 1!

Also got done with my CMP Mossie build.... doesn't fly as well.. but sure does look good next to the spit! In fact it uses the same power system x2 and if you look close.. those are the spinners that came in spit kits I got.

Looking forward to your pics CaptE.. , is your spit ready to maiden soon?
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:55 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Dang! I'm a sucker for Spitfires and Mossies. Doll that baby up with some details. Looks nice. I wonder if CMP will ever re-do the Mosquito to the build quality and design detail of the Spit? Now that would be something.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:02 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Thanks.. I'm working on the details now.. I one of those guys that flies the plane with no pilots or detailing until i get 10 or so flights out of a build.

Then.. i invest in it.. It's a bummer seeing some of my buddies maiden their beautifully detailed planes.. then crash!

I have to say though.. CMP isn't the greatest and everyone knows you have to put time into them to get them to fly right.. but this kit is HORRIBLE! It's a pretty bad attempt.. even for CMP. But.. I love Mossies.. ! And there aren't many around. Especially at this size (72" WS).

I'm thinking of modding it to a Tsetse Mosquito... or maybe a CAF Night fighter?

Here's a crap video of the maiden if you any are interested... sorry.. buddy got with an iPhone.. and it was a very windy day.. but you can hear the twins!
Mosquito cmp (8 min 28 sec)
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:25 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Wow... good to see this thread still putting along. I just got myself another airframe and think i'll build a second one vs keeping it around for spares. Still flying my original one... logged flight 125 this past Sunday.. I think i'll retire her if I ever get to #200

Poor plane.. so much of the original paint job has disintegrated.. still flies as good as it did on day 1!

Also got done with my CMP Mossie build.... doesn't fly as well.. but sure does look good next to the spit! In fact it uses the same power system x2 and if you look close.. those are the spinners that came in spit kits I got.

Looking forward to your pics CaptE.. , is your spit ready to maiden soon?
Hey HK....not close to maiden yet but edging along. The flaps are done but not completely attached yet. I'm trying two HXT 900 servos buryied in the wing. Problem is one of the cover's location will conflict with a rib so I've held off for bit till I figure out how to approach that.
I've also got to find some long arms for the aeileron servos. Following that, the wing will be joined and a few last minute details like connections and CG confirmed. Maiden should nto be long depending on wx conditions.

Some photos to follow soon.

Nitroplanes has everything at 10% off...I may need to get another Spit. I really like this plane.

How about some pics of yours? I'm curious to see what she looks like after 125 flights....what a veteran. Nice looking Mossie....

ce
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:03 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
There's nothing on my bench right now so maybe I can finish what I started!

Mike E-- Is that 3-blade spinner in the second photo from Tru-Turn? I like the looks of it. Probably wouldn't be that much of a hassle to vacuform one from something like .060 plastic. Should be sturdy and light enough to do the job. Wouldn't survive more than one or two noseovers though.

Mike
Of the 3 photos: 1 and 2 are ProSpin 2blade and 3blade, according to the texts in the originals posts where I found them. The 3rd photo is the Tru-Turn
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:13 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Here's a crap video of the maiden if you any are interested... sorry.. buddy got with an iPhone.. and it was a very windy day.. but you can hear the twins!
Very cool HK...like the sound and it scoots too. BTW, where is this? Looks like a nice location to fly.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:11 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,914 Posts
In preparation for joining the wing and I seem to recall something in this thread about a problem with mounting the wing to the fuselage. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Any other tips would be appreciated as well. Pics of the flaps coming soon.

Thanks ~
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E