Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:48 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
Nice flight, watch for those tips stalls, almost lost her at 48 seconds in! Program a bit of spoilerons in on landing, should slow her down with the nose up a tad.
Thanks! You saw it huh? Yeah, it's a close call, I guess the rubbing of the spinner backplate is one of the contributing factor. Btw what is a spoileron? I need to learn more about the potential of my transmitter.
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:20 AM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
22 Posts
Great news iscozky It flies well, congratulations on the first flight.
It seems that this spitfire is hard to land. It concerns me a bit because I am new on RC aircraft, has only flown for six months, but it goes really well, no accident. I do not know what a spoileron is, so unfortunately I can not help you there.
Bølle is offline Find More Posts by Bølle
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:34 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,177 Posts
Put the ailerons on a switch so on landing you can make them both go up. Start small, maybe 5%, work your way up until it works the way you way, up to maybe 20%. Mix in a little down elevator too. Will slow it down, nose high, make it less likely for nose overs on landing too. Test up high first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky View Post
Thanks! You saw it huh? Yeah, it's a close call, I guess the rubbing of the spinner backplate is one of the contributing factor. Btw what is a spoileron? I need to learn more about the potential of my transmitter.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:11 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bølle View Post
Great news iscozky It flies well, congratulations on the first flight.
It seems that this spitfire is hard to land. It concerns me a bit because I am new on RC aircraft, has only flown for six months, but it goes really well, no accident. I do not know what a spoileron is, so unfortunately I can not help you there.
Thanks, this plane flies well and the type of plane that you really need to fly base on my experience. What kind of plane did you flown already?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:14 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
Put the ailerons on a switch so on landing you can make them both go up. Start small, maybe 5%, work your way up until it works the way you way, up to maybe 20%. Mix in a little down elevator too. Will slow it down, nose high, make it less likely for nose overs on landing too. Test up high first.
Thanks, I'll try to figure it out how to program on my transmitter, I'll try a flaperon too if I can figure it out also and see which one will help.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:12 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,177 Posts
I have the same plane, not completed yet. I have many planes, most similar flying is the CMP Mustang Midget, 10S 3000W, had to get it to slow down for landing too. If you want to slow down and don't have separate flaps, your options are limited.

Not that difficult really.

Programing in flaperons will work too, can make it more difficult due to it bringing the nose down, makes them prone to nose over on grass. If you have access to a instructor or senior flyer, enlist his help.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try to figure it out how to program on my transmitter, I'll try a flaperon too if I can figure it out also and see which one will help.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, this plane flies well and the type of plane that you really need to fly base on my experience. What kind of plane did you flown already?
I fly a RC model called Easy star, with small changes brushless out runner c 2826-1900, aileron. I also fly with a glider called fox, in addition to train. I also fly spitfire in a simulator program called Aerofly Professional, and it goes fine, so i hope that will do. I have bought the spitfire, and i have also got one from a colleague, it is a huge spit, the wing are 176cm wide,
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:23 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
I fly a RC model called Easy star, with small changes brushless out runner c 2826-1900, aileron. I also fly with a glider called fox, in addition to train. I also fly spitfire in a simulator program called Aerofly Professional, and it goes fine, so i hope that will do. I have bought the spitfire, and i have also got one from a colleague, it is a huge spit, the wing are 176cm wide,
Easy star is a good trainer, I also have fox that I converted with aileron. If your fox has aileron you will be fine. Since you have a simulator, your already familiar with the orientation. I just made a transition from foamy to balsa this size, this is my 2nd the other one is a kyosho P40 and fell in love with them, intimidating at first because of the size but to my surprise they are easier to fly, good luck on your maiden and share with us the video.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
[QUOTE=markusvt;14822590]I have the same plane, not completed yet. I have many planes, most similar flying is the CMP Mustang Midget, 10S 3000W, had to get it to slow down for landing too. If you want to slow down and don't have separate flaps, your options are limited.

Wow, do you have a video of your midget?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
22 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my rc airplanes.Name: DSC00733.jpg
Views: 150
Size: 57.2 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00730.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 43.8 KB
Description:
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:02 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Who made the kit? that is a nice one.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:53 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Bolle-- What kit/ARF is that NKK Spitfire? Really pretty.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally made some time to work on the Spitfire. The firewall on mine seems to be pretty solidly mounted to the cowl firewall so I mounted the outrunner to it. I'll lay in some epoxy and chopped fg cloth before final assembly to strenghten it. I have to mount a full prop and assess for the correct thrust angles and adjust accordingly. There's plenty of room on either side of the outrunner to fit a pair of 3000mah 3s 20-30c lipos in place. I'm shooting for as low an AUW as possible.

I noticed that the exhaust casting felt pretty light so I drilled a small hole in it and realixed that it was hollow. Put a milling bit in the Dremel and started making fg dust. Sure enough, it's hollow and now it's open and will serve to vent some heat. Might have to make her a carb intake to let some air in.

I also took out the landing gear bay liners. They are heavy, don't look so hot and were fouling the retract actuator rod. I haven't been back though this thread to investigate but what's the minimum size servo I can use on the retracts? Are 9gm servos too small/weak? I might have some 14gm servos around here somewhere.

Mike

PS-- Is anyone elso out there like me and have a couple of projects going at once? I'm still working on a scratrchbuilt Hawker Typhoon, 48" span, working up plans for a Grumman F7F Tigercat (unless anyone has a TC they'd like to sell me) and am painting a P-38. I think I have trouble focusing or something.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Apr 11, 2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added explanation of the duck picture.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:30 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
22 Posts
Hi Mike
This is a homemade scale spitfire made from brian taylor spitfire drawings. it's a kolega of mine who has build it, pretty nice.dont you think.got it for free
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike
This is a homemade scale spitfire made from brian taylor spitfire drawings. it's a kolega of mine who has build it, pretty nice.dont you think.got it for free
I forgot to say that it is a spitfire mk1
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:51 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
It's nice looking whatever mk it is. Nice friend to give you such a beautiful model. Have you flown her yet?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303