HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2010, 03:22 AM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,000 Posts
Guys, sorry to hijack the thread, but could you take a look at my post in the CMP p-51 section and give me some advice there on a couple of ideas I have for the Lead Sled. I know some of you are probably sick of that plane, but I could use the help. BTW, tested the spinner and it's wobbly junk...Might be useful as a mold for foam spinners.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:26 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
[QUOTE=Wind_of_Change;14502734]Allan, with these bigger motors I always program them for high timing.

There were three issues with my retracts:

Thanks a lot for the info, now it's waiting time again for HC shipment.
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Mar 05, 2010, 05:48 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
...I received my CARE PACKAGE from Nitro Models

My Spitfire arrived undamaged and looks great. I want to put her on a diet to try and reduce weight where and if possible. I do plan on swapping out the joiner for the elevator halves, it has a lot of give to it. (IMO) Easy to do since it's not glued in. I also plan on replacing the main and tail wheels with lighter ones and go up in size for the mains for flying off grass. Other than that it is a very complete kit, not sure how the retracts will hold up but can't beat the price.

I am really amazed by the detail on the fuse and the "scale" look. I toyed around with buying the Kyosho Spitfire a year ago, glad I waited. I am not much of an ARF guy as I tend to build from kits or plans but no one has a nice Spitfire kit in this size.

Now to wait for my HC order...

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:57 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
All,

I know earlier on in the thread someone wanted to know what the Spitfire weighs....(I may have been one of them!)

I weighed the following parts/pieces. This may help someone else...

Fuse/Stab-Elevator/Rudder/Spinner 1 lb 12 oz.
Wings with joiner tube 2 lbs.

I did some quick calculations with radio gear and 4S vs 5S and think the 4S5000 could come in about 6 lbs 2 oz. and 5S5000 could come in a 6 lbs 6 oz.

Enjoy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:41 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Help!

I just got my 80amp esc and a bec, I decided to install a separate bec just to make sure no servo failure will arise. When I got my bec it's different from the castle bec, does anyone know how to install this one?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6320
the one at castle has 3 wires that you will plug into the receiver
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ec_wiring.html
but this one has only 2. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:06 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky View Post
I just got my 80amp esc and a bec, I decided to install a separate bec just to make sure no servo failure will arise. When I got my bec it's different from the castle bec, does anyone know how to install this one?
I believe that you should plug the BEC into your power connection of your receiver and "pull" the RED wire from the 80 amp BEC and plug that into your throttle connection on your receiver. The Castle UBEC I have only has two wires (RED & BLACK) that connect to the receiver.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Mar 13, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:37 PM
Brian
Echuca , Victoria ,Australia
Joined Dec 2007
16 Posts
Flew my CMPRO Spit last weekend and I was pleased with the way It flew , My setup has a ASP 61 4s up front and i modified the wing to take standard low profile retract servos . One thing I have to mention is this Bird is a true spitfire and will drop a wing if prevoked . I always fly my first few flights high up so I can recover if something goes wrong and Im glad I did because when turning with the wind at what I thaught was fast enough she droped a wing realy quickly and seemed to just fall out of the sky , Lucky I maiden my planes high and I had heaps of room to recover . Another thing I do with this plane if it dead sticks (motor dies) keep the nose down until the last few feet of the ground and it lands ok .
One thing I will do in the future is to junk the weel wells and fill in the wells in the wing with balsa as the retracts dont close far enough for the doors to be fitted .
bwa3006 is offline Find More Posts by bwa3006
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:32 PM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky View Post
I'll go along with what dsumner had to say, that is to pull the red wire from the speedo plug and plug the the ubec into the battery port on your RX.

Richard
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:29 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Dsumner & Richard,

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking also, I just need a second opinion, now to wait for the motor.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:37 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
While waiting for the motor, I decided to start building this plane. I start with the retracts, the pushrod going to the servos is rubbing against the wing former, Todd( wind of change) was right, so I shaved a few mm. of the wing former and the retracts are functioning smoothly. I changed the wheels to 2.5 in. dubro foam as the stock wheel is too bouncy, I also move the wheel well forward to fit the wheel properly. I also add a strip of balsa at the top of the retract base, the 2 screws near at the LE, now the wheel lies flat inside the wheel well. That's it for now.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:07 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
...I wanted to share some pictures of my motor mounting solution. I kind f borrowed from Todd/Wind of Change...I mounted another piece of 5/16 plywood to the front plywood "firewall" and mounted my Scorpion 4020/10 directly to it. I didn't want to use spacers so the 5/16 plywood was the perfect amount to space the motor back to use Scorpion's collet prop adapter. I tapped the aluminum X-mount for 8-32 bolts. I used button head bolts and slightly counter sunk the button head bolts. This works fine with over 5/16 of plywood behind this...

Anyway, this may help someone else with their conversion.

Enjoy,
Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2010, 04:01 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Looking good dsumner! I look forward to seeing how you like the bird in the air.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
...I wanted to share some pictures of my motor mounting solution. I kind f borrowed from Todd/Wind of Change...I mounted another piece of 5/16 plywood to the front plywood "firewall" and mounted my Scorpion 4020/10 directly to it. I didn't want to use spacers so the 5/16 plywood was the perfect amount to space the motor back to use Scorpion's collet prop adapter. I tapped the aluminum X-mount for 8-32 bolts. I used button head bolts and slightly counter sunk the button head bolts. This works fine with over 5/16 of plywood behind this...

Anyway, this may help someone else with their conversion.

Enjoy,
Denny
nicely done! This is also my plan for the firewall.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:13 AM
Big P
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
135 Posts
Will have to get one when back in stock.
patzane is offline Find More Posts by patzane
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:36 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
***Update***

We got a flier!

Bob maidened his Spit today and I'm happy to report- we had both a takeoff AND a landing, with nothing but smooth in between. Rather than make you backtrack- we have a: BP A4120-7 in there with a 60A ESC, a 13 x 8 APC E prop, a 10A UBEC, and a 4S 3600 mAh Lipo. 6lbs and a couple oz's. Pulled 750
watts on static testing, and that was really more than enough for good scale flight. Not ballistic, but confident and more than adequate.
Noticeable down elevator trim necessary- probably about 4 clicks from zero'd and definately noticeable when looking at the h. stab/elev. Landing was a non-event. Settled right in and sat down. Nosed over on our grass field as soon as it slowed enough for the up elevator to stop keeping the nose down as it rolled out. We concluded we need to take the plastic wheel wells out to allow for larger wheels. Our field is really rough right now, though, as the grass hasn't really started in yet and it's really more of a field of clumps.

We'll get a video up soon.

Tim
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO