HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2010, 09:21 AM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Maidened the spit yesterday.
Very short takeoff roll, climbed to altitude quickly, but needed about 3 clicks of nose down trim like Wind mentioned. My CG was spot on at 4" from the leading edge measured at the root.

I had low rates on for this flight and the roll rate wasn't as fast as I'd like but acceptable. Tracked straight in the 2 loops I did.

I tried out slow flight at altitude and it seemed pretty stable with both wings dropping together. A little power and down elevator and I lost little altitude.
I flew for about 5 minutes nice and easy with only 2 loops and a few rolls when I decided to try a landing.

I was lining up in a bank when it tip stalled with no altitude to recover, I did level it out at the last second and minimized the damage. My motor mount broke and there was some cosmetic damage but nothing serious. I was flying too slow on the approach and paid for it. The 6" of snow really saved the day.

Should have her back in the air today or tomorrow.
Did take a short video of the takeoff and have some pics I'll post later tonight.
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 12:30 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
We don't often get a reason to praise the snow!

Congrats on an inexpensive lesson that you'll never forget!
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:25 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthedragon View Post
Maidened the spit yesterday.
Very short takeoff roll, climbed to altitude quickly, but needed about 3 clicks of nose down trim like Wind mentioned. My CG was spot on at 4" from the leading edge measured at the root.

I had low rates on for this flight and the roll rate wasn't as fast as I'd like but acceptable. Tracked straight in the 2 loops I did.

I tried out slow flight at altitude and it seemed pretty stable with both wings dropping together. A little power and down elevator and I lost little altitude.
I flew for about 5 minutes nice and easy with only 2 loops and a few rolls when I decided to try a landing.

I was lining up in a bank when it tip stalled with no altitude to recover, I did level it out at the last second and minimized the damage. My motor mount broke and there was some cosmetic damage but nothing serious. I was flying too slow on the approach and paid for it. The 6" of snow really saved the day.

Should have her back in the air today or tomorrow.
Did take a short video of the takeoff and have some pics I'll post later tonight.
What's your set up? Motor/battery/prop? Any idea what yours weighs?

Thanks,
Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:34 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Yea I usually curse the snow!

My plane is right around 6.8 lbs

Setup is:
Turnigy AerodriveXp 42-50 650Kv
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7069

Hobbyking SS Series 60-70A ESC
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7340

Flightmax 5000mAh 5S1P
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6499

13x8 electric prop
$8 HobbyWing UBEC off of Ebay
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:48 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Kent,
congrats on your maiden, nice set up. I noticed you add addt'l. wt. on the nose, I have the same battery that i'm planning to use, I'm just wandering if it's possibe to move the battery more forward to save extra wt. or there is no more room? And what kind of servos did you use? Thanks!

Allan
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Mar 02, 2010, 04:15 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky View Post
Kent,
congrats on your maiden, nice set up. I noticed you add addt'l. wt. on the nose, I have the same battery that i'm planning to use, I'm just wandering if it's possibe to move the battery more forward to save extra wt. or there is no more room? And what kind of servos did you use? Thanks!

Allan
Thanks, I used these servos for the ailerons rudder and elevator, my retract servos were some smaller servos I had laying around. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5426

The pictures were taken while building and after I was done I did move the battery an inch or two to get the CG at the 4" mark.
I epoxied a piece of balsa behind the battery near the receiver to hold it closer to the front.
The hatch sat nice and flush with the battery pushed forward.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 04:40 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthedragon View Post
Yea I usually curse the snow!

My plane is right around 6.8 lbs

Setup is:
Turnigy AerodriveXp 42-50 650Kv
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7069

Hobbyking SS Series 60-70A ESC
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7340

Flightmax 5000mAh 5S1P
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6499

13x8 electric prop
$8 HobbyWing UBEC off of Ebay

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I have the Spit on its way but Hobby King is out of the 50-55B and 80A ESC....maybe I will look at your motor/esc.

What did you make your motor mount from? Looks good.

Thanks,
Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Mar 02, 2010, 04:50 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
Ken,

Thanks for the info. I have the Spit on its way but Hobby King is out of the 50-55B and 80A ESC....maybe I will look at your motor/esc.

What did you make your motor mount from? Looks good.

Thanks,
Denny
I used some balsa wood, maybe 3/4 inch by 2 feet, i bought it from the local hardware store for 5 bucks awhile ago. Then I just cut some pieces and used some 5 minute epoxy.

Here is a short (very short) video of the spit taking off. My brother lost sight of it in the sun and gave up. The camera was just a digital photo camera we had on hand. I hope to get some much better quality and longer duration videos up soon.

CMP Spitfire (0 min 17 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:49 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
Those 50-55 580KV motors are back in at HobbyKing.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._580Kv_/_1580w

Here are some alternatives for ESCs:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...85A_w/_4A_SBEC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...es_90-100A_ESC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...80A_ESC_w/UBEC
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2010, 03:58 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Thanks kent for the info, yes the motor 50-55 is back! here is some pics of my kyosho p40 & the spit, in my personal opinion, the CMP has better qualities than the kyosho, but I love this P40 though!
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:31 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
iscozky,

The difference for me is the molded fiberglass fuselage, it just looks so much better. I love that Kyosho P40 though, one of my flying buddies has that and it looks great with the Spit and Mustang. I love the panel line detail that they do on those, and they did a cool color scheme.

I really wish that CMPro would do a 50 and 120 sized P-38. Nobody sells nice P-38 ARFs anymore, and nobody does them with molded fiberglass booms & pods. I had been saving my pennies for one from VQWarbirds before they stopped selling them, and was really sad when they all disappeared. I'm still holding my breath that CMP will see the light and make one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2010, 12:34 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
[QUOTE=Wind_of_Change;14496752]iscozky,

The difference for me is the molded fiberglass fuselage, it just looks so much better. I love that Kyosho P40 though, one of my flying buddies has that and it looks great with the Spit and Mustang. I love the panel line detail that they do on those, and they did a cool color scheme.

I really wish that CMPro would do a 50 and 120 sized P-38.

I was surprised about the quality of this spit, you're right the fuselage makes the difference. +10 to P38, with an option either gas or electric like what kyosho did. I'm gonna sell the rest of my foam plane if that happens. btw, did you program your esc or just on the default setting? my plane set up will be virtually the same as yours, did you have a hard time installing the retract servo? I bought the same servo that you used? Thanks!

Allan
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:54 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
A B17 & B25 will be great also, I'll be a happy man then! CMP guys, hope you reading this one!
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:07 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
I wanted some cooling outlet holes but didn't want to cut big ugly holes in the fuselage. I made some semi-hidden ones using the exhaust stack to hide them. We'll see how it works out on the next flight, some is better than none
Last edited by kenthedragon; Mar 03, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:43 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky
btw, did you program your esc or just on the default setting?
Allan, with these bigger motors I always program them for high timing.

Quote:
my plane set up will be virtually the same as yours, did you have a hard time installing the retract servo?
There were three issues with my retracts:
First, after I widened the servo slot so that it would fit and lined up the control wire, I found that the wire rubbed against the wing formers a bit, so I went in and widened the space in the formers about a quarter inch, only where the wire was rubbing.

Second, the metal control rod that attaches to the slide rod in the retract itself was bent in the wrong spot. When the slide rod was pulled in to retract the wheel, the control rod was rubbing on the retract housing. I had to bend it at a different spot, closer to the retract, to get it to not rub. In other words, it didn't let the retract fully close so I couldn't get it to lock. It took a little fiddling to get it to work.

Third, the plastic wheel well was keeping the wheel from retracting far enough for the retract to fully lock, so I left the plastic wells off the plane. The wheel retracted all the way until it touched the balsa sheeting on the top of the wing, so the plastic insert was just getting in the way.

Also, check the glue joints around the wheel well and reinforce them if they seem weak. They use very little glue.
RCG Plus Member