HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:42 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Okay, new video is up.

CMPro Spitfire 50 sized RC Maiden Flight (10 min 45 sec)

It's not a great video, sorry. Short flight, overcast day, mostly just silhouette. But hey, maybe it'll help somebody.

Again, I know the hat is funny... but I'm the only one at the field with a warm head, so tease away, I'm JUST fine.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:27 AM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Nice video Wind, no flaming on the hat as a man going very thin on top I understand the need for insulation. My choice of head gear has earned me the nick name "Indie" at work.

Richard
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:21 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Sounds like our fellow pilots in the UK are in the mood for little Tea Party of their own. Gotta love the import taxes!

Sorry it's so expensive over there Richard. That's a bummer. $282 is a TON of money for this little plane.
I ordered one last night...found a 5% off coupon but had to pony up for $36 shipping to Michigan. Still sounds like a good deal in looking at the pictures in the post!
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:37 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Okay, new video is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_0D...layer_embedded

It's not a great video, sorry. Short flight, overcast day, mostly just silhouette. But hey, maybe it'll help somebody.

Again, I know the hat is funny... but I'm the only one at the field with a warm head, so tease away, I'm JUST fine.
Todd,

Great video, looks like it flew pretty nice. I also appreciate the video details on the hatch, etc. Do you have any pictures showing how you mounted the motor? I think you said you bolted it to the "front" firewall, maybe added another piece of plywood? I didn't think the motor had enough shaft to use a Collet adapter? Hoping for more details.

Thanks,
Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:13 AM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Great video!!! Looks like a nice strip of asphalt for a bird that likes to come in hot on it's landings. Well done... and thanks for the walk around of the battery hatch. More vid's should have that sort of stuff included.
etotheo is offline Find More Posts by etotheo
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:47 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
I'm glad you guys found the video helpful. I know I love a good video as well, so certainly if you can, post videos of you birds once you get them flying and show off whatever innovations you came up with for equipping this nice plane.

The motor mount on the Spit included about a half inch wooden spacer that I put flush with the back of the front firewall. The prop adapter that I had was really long, so it necessitated moving the motor back a bit. I've ordered some new prop adapters from HobbyKing in the hopes I can move it back forward a quarter inch.

I did the same thing on my Mustang, but used nylon spacers instead. I've attached a few pics below so you can see what I did.

It's difficult to see it, but the hardest part of doing this setup is attaching the nut to the bolts that are underneath the motor. You can't really get anything under there to hold the nut while you thread the bolt and tighten it down. As you can see here I used two of the aluminum motor mounts along with a single nylon spacer to get the right positioning so that the spinner would ride flush with the nose. In this case, that gave me something to attach the nut to. So before positioning the motor on the plane, I did a test fit with the nut & spacer in place, screwed down tight, and then hot glued the two rear nuts onto the 50-55 aluminum motor mount.

When I did it on the spit with the wood spacers, I used a blind nut that was epoxied to the wood before gluing the wood spacer into the fuse.

Either way works fine.

One side note. When I first mounted the turnigy into my mustang, I was only using a single aluminum mount, and when I nosed it over on a landing it broke the aluminum mount. They're pretty brittle and can break easily. That's another reason I buy extras and try to use them if space allows. I screw the motor onto the first aluminum mount, and then put another aluminum mount over the top of that. I you get longer screws, you can run the motor bolts through both mounts.

I like the bind nut prop adapters for these planes over the collet adapters. I had a collet adapter on my mustang at first and the motor is so powerful that the collet adapter pulled right off the plane in-flight, and took my cone & prop with it. I walked around in the bush for hours trying to find the darn thing. I got the plane back safely to the strip just gliding, but that was the only spinner I ever got to run true without vibration, and it really ticked me off when I lost it. Bind nuts are the way to go, dremel a flat spot down on the shaft where the bind nut tightens so it can't slip off.

One more note, the fiberglass on the front of these planes is not strong, and not necessarily even flush with the wood that's in the nose firewall. You need to recess the bolts anyway, so dremel out holes in the fiberglass about the depth of your bolt head, get it mounted to the wood behind the fiberglass. If you don't, you'll get vibration in your cone because the fiberglass will allow the whole assembly to mush around.

Anyway, that's the skinny. Hope it helps.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Feb 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,731 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad you guys found the video helpful. I know I love a good video as well, so certainly if you can, post videos of you birds once you get them flying and show off whatever innovations you came up with for equipping this nice plane.

The motor mount on the Spit included about a half inch wooden spacer that I put flush with the back of the front firewall. The prop adapter that I had was really long, so it necessitated moving the motor back a bit. I've ordered some new prop adapters from HobbyKing in the hopes I can move it back forward a quarter inch.

I did the same thing on my Mustang, but used nylon spacers instead. I've attached a few pics below so you can see what I did.

It's difficult to see it, but the hardest part of doing this setup is attaching the nut to the bolts that are underneath the motor. You can't really get anything under there to hold the nut while you thread the bolt and tighten it down. As you can see here I used two of the aluminum motor mounts along with a single nylon spacer to get the right positioning so that the spinner would ride flush with the nose. In this case, that gave me something to attach the nut to. So before positioning the motor on the plane, I did a test fit with the nut & spacer in place, screwed down tight, and then hot glued the two rear nuts onto the 50-55 aluminum motor mount.

When I did it on the spit with the wood spacers, I used a blind nut that was epoxied to the wood before gluing the wood spacer into the fuse.

Either way works fine.

One side note. When I first mounted the turnigy into my mustang, I was only using a single aluminum mount, and when I nosed it over on a landing it broke the aluminum mount. They're pretty brittle and can break easily. That's another reason I buy extras and try to use them if space allows. I screw the motor onto the first aluminum mount, and then put another aluminum mount over the top of that. I you get longer screws, you can run the motor bolts through both mounts.

I like the bind nut prop adapters for these planes over the collet adapters. I had a collet adapter on my mustang at first and the motor is so powerful that the collet adapter pulled right off the plane in-flight, and took my cone & prop with it. I walked around in the bush for hours trying to find the darn thing. I got the plane back safely to the strip just gliding, but that was the only spinner I ever got to run true without vibration, and it really ticked me off when I lost it. Bind nuts are the way to go, dremel a flat spot down on the shaft where the bind nut tightens so it can't slip off.

One more note, the fiberglass on the front of these planes is not strong, and not necessarily even flush with the wood that's in the nose firewall. You need to recess the bolts anyway, so dremel out holes in the fiberglass about the depth of your bolt head, get it mounted to the wood behind the fiberglass. If you don't, you'll get vibration in your cone because the fiberglass will allow the whole assembly to mush around.

Anyway, that's the skinny. Hope it helps.

Todd

Thanks, that helps. I am thinking about mounting the motor directly to the front firewall without the X mount. You would need a plywood/hardwood spacer glued from the inside and then use longer bolts. I will have to wait until I get the plane and motor......

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
The only issue I see with bolting directly to the motor is that the bolts will all be in the center of the firewall instead of spread outward towards the edges, which will increase the likelihood that you'll get vibration buildup if anything is even slightly out of balance, either prop or cone. The wider the footprint, the less likely that vibration can cascade to a critical failure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,731 Posts
Quote:
The only issue I see with bolting directly to the motor is that the bolts will all be in the center of the firewall instead of spread outward towards the edges, which will increase the likelihood that you'll get vibration buildup if anything is even slightly out of balance, either prop or cone. The wider the footprint, the less likely that vibration can cascade to a critical failure.
Good point, it may not be possible....That is the way I have mounted smaller outrunners...I have to wait and see, I ordered an 8mm collet adapter from Inov8tive (Scorpion) Will need to wait until HC gets the motors in stock too. Looking forward to the mod. It looked like you did a fair amount of weathering on your Spitty!! Other than the P-51 I have always loved the Spitfire. I have read a couple of books on the Battle of Britain and wanted to build one for a while. Too bad no kits for a "50" sized are available, or at least I haven't been able to find one.

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:39 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Nice video Todd! Mine arrived today yahooo! Great kit and the package is well secured, the manual is not that detailed but understandable. I ordered the last 80 amp Plush at HC, I'll probably change the tires to robart 3in wheels http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...ch/ROB114.html also using the servo from HC, does anyone have experience using this type of servos? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3743
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Last edited by iscozky; Feb 27, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:39 AM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky View Post
Nice video Todd! Mine arrived today yahooo! Great kit and the package is well secured, the manual is not that detailed but understandable. I ordered the last 80 amp Plush at HC, I'll probably change the tires to robart 3in wheels http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...ch/ROB114.html also using the servo from HC, does anyone have experience using this type of servos? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3743
Spend the extra 2 bucks for this servo. You shouldn't be disappointed. It weighs 16g more, but the extra torque and metal gears are worth the trade off imho.

Besides, Spit's like to come in hot and heavy... don't they
Old Feb 27, 2010, 09:14 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
iscozky,

welcome to the CMP Spit club!

etotheo,

I bought a couple of those HXT 12K servos a couple years ago. They sucked beyond belief, wouldn't center at ALL, were incredibly loud, and were super slow. Have they improved them at all since then?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:09 PM
Saskatoon, SK.
Joined Oct 2009
224 Posts
Quote:
iscozky,

welcome to the CMP Spit club!

etotheo,

I bought a couple of those HXT 12K servos a couple years ago. They sucked beyond belief, wouldn't center at ALL, were incredibly loud, and were super slow. Have they improved them at all since then?
I've installed a single HXT12K on my glow powered SIG Kadet. Controls both ailerons. Mine does centre fine but like you said, very loud! But if your looking for inexpensive, you sort of have to live with it
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:13 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Thanks guys!
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:59 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Hey everyone, I think I'm going to sell mine. NIB. I've fallen in love with another plane...need to get some funds together.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202764
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Last edited by djmoose; Mar 01, 2010 at 09:16 PM.