HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyf View Post
Dick, I had to sit the Spitty for a while as I had an accident where the failsafe did not work and the result was 45 stitches in my right hand and left forearm.
It all started when I left my TX in the hands of a friend and went to retrieve the Spitty after a landing, when I picked the plane up I noticed a little damage on the rudder and reached up to touch the rudder.
I had landed about 100 mtrs from the pits on a grass field and my friend took my reaching for the rudder as the signal I had removed the battery and he turned off my TX for me.
That's when the failsafe failed and the motor went to full throttle in a second and my arm and hand were in the way of a 14x8 wooden prop until my friend realised and turned off the TX.
After the surgery and healing another friend suggested I paint the Spitty in the colours of the Grey Nurse, a Spitty that is famous down here in OZ.
She is all ready to again with some modifications to the electrical system to isolate the motor via an external switch.
The moral of the story is, NEVER TRUST the system KEEP CLEAR OF ALL PROPS!!!!!!!
rodney,

That's a terrible thing - so sorry. I promise to take your advise seriously but I'm afraid I've already suffered some stitches myself. In my case I was trying to figure out how to control some lights I installed on a PZN Corsair. During the process I hit the reverse mode throttle on my Dx7 Tx and the prop went to full power. It was totally stupid messing with it while the prop installed. Tough lesson and a bloody one as well. I was lucky I just missed a nerve and artery.

Anyway, I hope you heal quickly and will soon be back in the air.

Dick
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Rodney:

My plan at this point is to remove the forward bulkhead for the fuel tank and install a new, shorter bulkhead immediately behind the motor.

I am planning to use a 5S 4500 - 5500 battery. I have checked out dimensions of various suppliers and they should all slide through the opening where the fuel tank should sit. I expect, based on other comments on this thread that I will want the battery as far forward as possible due to the short nose on this model.

I will swap batteries through this forward hatch, securing the front of the hatch with some form of clip/hinge and retaining the back corners of the hatch with a couple of rare-earth magnets.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:38 PM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,277 Posts
David, that is the way I did it too, I put a metal bar across to put a velcro strap through to secure to battery and I made up a little ply, balsa and lead cradle for the battery to sit on.
You can see it in the pics and if I use a bigger battery I won't need the cradle. I used a 75mm hole saw to cut a piece of 7 ply then cut the piece in half, trimmed it a little and epoxied it to the inside of the cowl top and bottom of the existing engine mount. This strengthened the cowl and gave me the right distance to mount my motor so the adapter and spinner sat at the right place.
Don't use the mount plate that comes with that motor because they are rubbish and mine tore to pieces, make yourself a steel or brass one.
rodneyf is offline Find More Posts by rodneyf
Last edited by rodneyf; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Rodney -

Do you have a picture of your hatch front attachment design? I will use magnets for the rear but I am still considering the front attachment design.
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old May 03, 2013, 01:34 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Cmp spitfire for sale nib

I regret to admit I need to sell my spare Spitfire 50-54. I still think CMP has the best looking one out there so bought an extra as a back up to my first build. As much as I love my Spitfires another plane has seduced me.

NIB - only opened for inspection following initial delivery.

$175.00 shipped double boxed CONUS

PayPal or USPS Money Order.

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 10:14 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,607 Posts
Hi Dick,

Did you ever find a good flying site near home to fly your warbirds from?
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old May 04, 2013, 11:56 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi Dick,

Did you ever find a good flying site near home to fly your warbirds from?
Not not really. ...I discovered a club was started up locally here but unfortunately the field they fly off is very rough an not going to work for me. I've maidened a smaller Spitfire , an foam FMS 1430mm Corsair and a big P-36A Hawk here but the CMP Spit is still waiting for her debut. I'm looking forward to the opportunity this Spring or Summer possibly at a club in Austin. I'll be sure to post an update.
Thanks for checking in with me though.
Best,
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; May 04, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:57 PM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliir View Post
Rodney -

Do you have a picture of your hatch front attachment design? I will use magnets for the rear but I am still considering the front attachment design.
I'm sorry but I don't visit this thread very often and just after my last post the Spitty went in and she is hanging up in the shed awaiting her fate.
The hatch was a simple tab at the front that slipped in and then the back came down/up and was held by the magnets as seen in the pics.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 06:41 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2 Posts
im flying mine with an O:S. 60fp. Flys flawless but have an Issue getting Spareparts here in Germany. My Backplate from the Spinner is Broken and i badly need an new one. Does anyone of u have some laying around or can tell me, where to order (who delivers to Germany)?

Greetings Maik
MaikG is offline Find More Posts by MaikG
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:56 PM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,277 Posts
You can order the 3.25 inch from Dubro.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:50 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaikG View Post
im flying mine with an O:S. 60fp. Flys flawless but have an Issue getting Spareparts here in Germany. My Backplate from the Spinner is Broken and i badly need an new one. Does anyone of u have some laying around or can tell me, where to order (who delivers to Germany)?

Greetings Maik
Hello Maik,
I have a CMP Spitfire 50 spinner backplate and will send it to you for shipping cost. If you still need one give me your address and I'll find out what the shipping is.
Regrds,
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2014, 09:43 AM
United States, CA, Hollister
Joined May 2011
109 Posts
Has anyone put a small gasser in one of these Spits yet? I just picked up a RCGF 15cc I plan to power this doll with....way more than enough power but as I always say, the more the better

What scale pilot is everyone using for this beautiful model? Will a 1/6 scale work or should I get one according to the cockpit demensions?

Happy flying,
SS
scale_sloper is offline Find More Posts by scale_sloper
Last edited by scale_sloper; Apr 06, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
24 Posts
CMP Spitfire

I'm looking for one of these beauties NIB if anyone has one

Thanks
pacoflyer is offline Find More Posts by pacoflyer
Old Aug 23, 2014, 01:20 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
I noticed Nitroplanes is out of them....and that must be the reason you looking around. I had a spare but let it go a while ago.
Good luck, I hope you find one.
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:14 AM
Joined Oct 2007
24 Posts
CMP Spitfire

Yep,
Dumped one on takeoff last night....still don't know what happened but I'd like to replace it. I'll keep looking and hope Nitroplanes offers them soon.

Thanks Cap
pacoflyer is offline Find More Posts by pacoflyer