HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:10 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Those prospin spinners look pretty good. The shape is pretty close to the spitfire?

From scrolling through this thread, some are going with 3.25" and some are going with 3.5"?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:17 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
3.25" is the right size

3.5" is too big
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:08 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Denny,

http://www.atsrcplanes.com/pro_spin_...ers_for_rc.htm

Another option that's even cheaper is himodel.com
http://www.himodel.com/plane/3.25_in...m_Spinner.html

I think it may be the same spinner, but am not really sure. I've got one of those on order (already shipped) so that I can compare it to the ATS Prospin, which I already have. I'm putting one on the spit, and the other on the mustang.
They look a little different. The first one seems closer to the P-51/Spitfire shape. I am looking forward to your comparisons!!!

Are you planning on painting them or leaving them chrome?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:24 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
They're really close. The photos are from slightly different angles, but these spinners are really similar. The himodel one may have slightly heavier sweeps on the blade cuts, but other than that they look the same to me when comparing the two photos with my ATS spinner.

I'm gonna probably leave mine both chrome. I don't know why I like chrome so much, it makes a plane look less like a toy and more like a scale model for some reason. I know they didn't fly the real planes with chrome spinners, but I don't care.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Maybe it is the angle...but one looks a little more longer. Be sure to keep us informed!
TIA!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:14 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Denny,

Another one you might want to consider, rather than the 42-50 650kv is the 42-60 600kv. Same KV as the 50-55, and a little heavier than the 42-50.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2098

So many motor options! Gotta love it!

Mike,

www.atsrcplanes.com sells the ProSpin 3-blade spinners for a good price, and they have great service.

http://www.atsrcplanes.com/pro_spin_...ers_for_rc.htm

I had to get a separate shaft adapter for my plane because the shaft was a weird thread. I can't remember which one I used, but it was from HobbyKing.

Another option that's even cheaper is himodel.com
http://www.himodel.com/plane/3.25_in...m_Spinner.html

I think it may be the same spinner, but am not really sure. I've got one of those on order (already shipped) so that I can compare it to the ATS Prospin, which I already have. I'm putting one on the spit, and the other on the mustang.
Todd,

Thanks for the other motor solution, I may just wait for the 50-55B /600kv. The Gold one weighs 300grams per HC's web site...

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:23 PM
Weathers Good, Gotta Go Fly
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2008
385 Posts
Just read through this thread and liked what I saw, so I looked up the UK importer for the big "How much" question and the SRP is 185 or $282 on your side of the pond. OUCH. Where is that $99 sale over here when I need it?

Richard
Richard Stokes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Stokes
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:31 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
Sounds like our fellow pilots in the UK are in the mood for little Tea Party of their own. Gotta love the import taxes!

Sorry it's so expensive over there Richard. That's a bummer. $282 is a TON of money for this little plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:50 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Hey Todd,

Just want to double check, is this the motor that you have?http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7071

Thanks,

Allan
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:55 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Great motor. Too bad they're always out of stock, it's a popular one. I need another one, so I submitted my email in for the restock notice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, here's the video... FWIW. It'll take it a little while to process on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J723S25nCU0

Cheers,

Todd
Todd... do I need to ail away for my special captain video glasses to watch that movie?
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
Bwahahaha! What the crap did You-Pube do to my video? It's a garbled mess!

I just posted it and went to bed last night, assuming everything would be fine. Dang, that's bizarre.

I'm posting it again and will let you know as soon as it's up and working, no Captain Spaz glasses required.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
LOL WOC! Don't forget about Vimeo as well if YouTube bones you again.

BTW from someone who flys a bit at night, guys who can keep up with Projetis <your avatar?> and the likes at night never stop amazing me!

Tommy D
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:06 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,857 Posts
Hahaha, yeah, we just had two great night flying sessions last Thursday and Friday. My Projeti is long gone, but that plane was very easy to see at night. I had enough light wires on it to clearly differentiate the plane while flying.

I've stopped using lightwires and use the LED strips from Hobby King now, they're ten times as bright, and don't require a power inverter, which was always a pain and they often burned out. The LED's run directly off a 3 cell lipo, no problem.

BTW, KY-Tube garbled the video again, so I'm exporting it as .h264 quicktime instead of .h264 MP4 like I did the first time. I've always used quicktimes in the past, but figured I'd try .mp4 to see if it's any different. Obviously it is.

It'll be up in half an hour or so, and I'll post a new link.

Cheers,

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Rodger that on the LEDs. I like buying them in bulk and going to town with the soldering iron. I will admit though I burned out <literally> after building a couple nite flyers in rapid succession. Just too much soldering.

I'm going to try those adhesive backed surface mounted LEDs from Hobby King some day. Just I'm so cheap.... and have so many LEDs/resistors left over.

Tommy D

FWIW Nitro Models shows this plane back in stock
Last edited by Tommy D; Feb 25, 2010 at 09:21 PM.