SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Hey Lupus, congrats on your CMP Spit purchase, I take it you have it now?

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:21 AM
"We're in the pipe, 5 by 5"
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Thanks!

The seller didn't have the 50-size in stock. (No one has here in Finland.) But they ordered it from the manufacturer. Price was 169 euros. Couldn't get it cheaper from anywhere else. Shipping and VAT added, it would have costed more from anywhere else, so I'm fine with it. And no idea when it'll arrive. But I'm not in a hurry, I've got still plenty to do with my Hyperion Mustang accessories, Great Planes Sopwith Camel and my little experimental Hellcat project... I think I'll start the Spitfire after the summer. Now I'm looking for a reliable and affordable setup for this plane. I was thinking of Turnigy 80 or 100 amp speed controller and Scorpion motor (somehow I don't trust Turnigys). Not sure which servos. I'll most likely install a Spektrum AR600 receiver, which I use also in my other bigger planes. And definitely a separate DESC and rx battery. Still a lot of things to consider, like retract options etc. Oleo-struts are most likely addition to retracts.

Yesterday I received the Tamiya 1:48 Spitfire Mk Vb which I wanted as a study case. I'm planning of trying out an airbrush paintjob on this one first, so I'll know which colors to use. And there's lot of nice details I can see from a model more easier than from pictures. Also planning of ordering some nice books about the subject. The color scheme will be Battle of Britain era, before d-day stripes.

I want the classic looks.
Lupus78 is offline Find More Posts by Lupus78
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:32 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to install a sound system into this bird. The placement of the speakers is a big question. I'd really like to go NUTS with this build...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if it would be possible to install a sound system into this bird. The placement of the speakers is a big question. I'd really like to go NUTS with this build...
It's already pretty heavy. You'd have to find some nice light speakers.

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:41 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
I wouldn't use a sound system in this one. It's so heavy and there is very little room in the fuse for anything once you've got the motor & batteries in there.

The only reason I'd even consider it is if I needed a lot more nose weight. Better a speaker than a ton of lead.

Best bet would be to mount it to the back of the chin hatch, pointing down. Your gonna get your best bang for your buck in the taxi, not so much in flight. There's no room for really big speakers and a sound box, which you need to maximize the efficiency of a sound system. I'd point the speaker at the ground so that it can bounce sound waves off the ground and up to the people standing around looking at it...

Set the speaker wire up as detachable probably with a mini deans or something so you can pull the hatch off when inserting your flight pack.

I guess you could try to build a speaker into the center of the wing as well, pointing down. You'd weaken the center of the wing doing it, but it might allow you to build up a bit of a sound box on the top of the wing sitting inside the fuse, but not much.

I'd lean towards the hatch installation for two reasons. First, you're getting weight in the nose, which is much needed on this plane. Second, you could set it up with two hatches. One with and one without the speaker. I'm sure there are a few people who've crashed their spits who could part with the hatch. That'd get you an option of flying without the speaker when there's nobody around to appreciate it.

If you do try doing it, make sure to do a blog on it and let us know. And get some video!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:38 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus78 View Post
Personally I admire your idea but the airplane is much too small for the weight and space available. I hesitate to sound negative, but I think it would be much more trouble than you would want to get involved with.
Best of luck whatever your decision....
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:46 AM
Finland, Vantaa
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
You might be right. I'll take a look what could be possible. But as I have not yet received the plane, I can't take even a wild guess if it could be done. I'll most likely concentrate on making it look scale and fly well. And sound system might give too much penalty on the "flying well" part.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,888 Posts
The battery tray has been re-done. Not much clearance reamains between the bat and motor - maybe an 1/8". However, the bat will be very snug with no room to move under conseravative and reasonably accellerated manuevers. At least that's my theory otherewise it could be potentially disasterous.
Next, repair the right horiz stab that got wacked (again.) The first repair must not have been substantial enough so it fractured in the same location, at the root. Also noted the entire horiz stab is drooping on both sides for some reason. I'm not pleased with that and uncertain what caused it.

Tomorrow is a planned get together with a couple good friends and i was hoping to maiden the Spitfire, but winds are actually increasing from 10 -20 to 15-25 gusting to 30mph. Pretty discouraging outlook and getting very wearisome.

Keep your RPM's up...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:13 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,888 Posts
Bat Tray & Horiz Stab

Here's some pics if interested .......note the droop in the horiz stab before repair. The right side was fractured at the root LE but repaired now with 1/8 x 1" CF tube at LE and toward TE of stab. The left side still droops some. Out of curiosity I checked the stab in my backup NIB CMP Spit and it was warped and drooped the same. From now on I'll be checking all the control surfaces more closely prior to final assembly.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Aug 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:47 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,888 Posts
Update

Took MDU out for some taxi tests and engine run up this morning - winds were rediculous but the ground handling went well.
The engine run up indicated a lot of vibration beginning at about 3/4 throttle. Initially I suspect the spinner and or prop may be out of balance. It shook the top hatch off, loosened sliding canopy then blew it off. That's good to know but will need to be addressed. There should be some video by tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Aug 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Wow...!

Again, beautiful work Capt..

I've done more conversions than I can remember but your pics have given me tons of new ideas.

I hope you do a build thread on an Axis bird soon! Maybe something big and for the builder in you.. Meister or Don Smith!

Happy Father's Day everyone.
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Wow...!

Again, beautiful work Capt..

I've done more conversions than I can remember but your pics have given me tons of new ideas.

I hope you do a build thread on an Axis bird soon! Maybe something big and for the builder in you.. Meister or Don Smith!

Happy Father's Day everyone.
Thanks bud, here's some video from the taxi tests and run up:

Capt Easy's Spitfire Taxi Test (4 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
She looks beautiful out in the natural light Capt. Shame about the vibration issue Im sure you'll have that sorted in no time. What oleo legs did you go for in the end. I didnt think you had changed them from standard for some reason?

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:02 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Mines all ready for its second flight after weeks of wating for oleo struts and those dave brown lite wheels as recommended. Curious though.....the foam/rubber on those wheels is so soft, sitting on the driveway it looks like theyre half flat. Is that normal i wonder? I get the impression that on landing theyre going to bottom out. I'll try to vid the flight and especially the landing. I expect an 'incident', since this plane comes in too hot for our short, rabbit burrowed landing strip. We have long grass at both ends of the landing strip too, so i'm reaching the start of the runway at a height of at least 6 feet. I'd prefer to be at around 3 feet given the runways length. The knees are gonna wobble!
Michael
Maccanaut is offline Find More Posts by Maccanaut
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:44 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
You can first shoot all the rabbits and have a bar-b-q rabbit party for all. Send me an air ticket and I will be glad to join you for it. The smell of bar-b-q-ing rabbit will probably scare away the rest of the rabbits.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm