HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
TPO,

Good points. I've also used the SportBEC from Dimension Engineering, which is a very nice BEC, but I've still lost planes equipped with that BEC. 3.5 amps ought to be enough for 5 standard servos, but then the question becomes... how much power is the receiver itself using?

I've been told that the XPS receivers draw significant current on their own, which may contribute to so many lockouts. If you only plan for enough power to handle your servos without considering the receiver itself, you're asking for trouble.

I'm curious if there is a difference in receiver power consumption between the various 2.4ghz receivers.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:34 AM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post

I'll try and get that video processed and up after work tomorrow. It's okay to go ahead and make fun of me, that fur hat is pretty funny looking. But it keeps my head warm and dry, so I just take the teasing like a man while all my flying buddies stand around with cold red ears and wet heads.

SAPSPIT - I didn't do anything to strengthen my nose when mounting the motor. I needed 2 centimeters of spacers to set the motor back a bit so that my spinner would line up properly. It was solid.
I am very sorry that you lost your spitfire. I am impressed that you started by describing how nice it was flying....most people would start with what was most negative...the crash... many of us could take a lesson or two from how you choose to write your article. Thanks!

Thank you for your feedback on the motor mounting.

HOWEVER, I am looking forward to see your video

Have a nice weekend!

Terje
SAPSPIT is online now Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Last edited by SAPSPIT; Feb 20, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:22 AM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Me too!
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:50 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Sorry guys, I couldn't find the FireWire cable to get video posted, and I have been trying to get ready for the St George fly-in, my favorite of the year, which is why I was hurrying to get the Spitfire done. I'm there now, and have just had one of the most enjoyable flying days of my life. I got my CMP P51 50 resurrected using the Spitfire guts, and that filled the spot in the squadron. We had some fantastic formation flying today, Then had a big combat session (got over 30 collisions), had a big club BBQ, then had a 2 hour night-flying session. We're up on a desert bluff and had dozens of cars get off the freeway to chase down the UFOs, including the police. Then it devolved into night-combat and I brutalized 2 more combat planes planes. My face hurts from smiling so hard for so hard!

I'll track down that cable and post video as soon as I get home.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:10 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Sorry guys, I couldn't find the FireWire cable to get video posted, and I have been trying to get ready for the St George fly-in, my favorite of the year, which is why I was hurrying to get the Spitfire done. I'm there now, and have just had one of the most enjoyable flying days of my life. I got my CMP P51 50 resurrected using the Spitfire guts, and that filled the spot in the squadron. We had some fantastic formation flying today, Then had a big combat session (got over 30 collisions), had a big club BBQ, then had a 2 hour night-flying session. We're up on a desert bluff and had dozens of cars get off the freeway to chase down the UFOs, including the police. Then it devolved into night-combat and I brutalized 2 more combat planes planes. My face hurts from smiling so hard for so hard!

I'll track down that cable and post video as soon as I get home.
Hope to see your maiden flight, I just bought this plane today, they are back in stock at nitroplanes. I just want to ask what is your power system and servos that you use?

Thanks!

Allan
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:17 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscozky View Post
Hope to see your maiden flight, I just bought this plane today, they are back in stock at nitroplanes. I just want to ask what is your power system and servos that you use?
Allan. Wow, I totally forgot about posting that Spitfire video. Thanks for reminding me. I got another cable for my camcorder, hoping to fix the noise problem, and it still did it. When I picked up my camcorder and the noise suddenly went away, I realized that my Wacom Tablet, which the camcorder was sitting on, was creating havoc with the camcorder. So I finally pulled the video off.

Sadly, it was shot in NTSC rather than HD. The setting got changed on my camcorder, so the video is pretty crappy compared to what I normally post.

But it's better than nothing, I guess.

My power system is the Turnigy SK 50-55 580KV motor from HobbyKing, with an 80 amp Turnigy ESC. It's spinning a 13x11 APC gas prop. Retract servos are some micro metal gear servos, can't remember which brand. Better than the Hitec 82mg, higher torque, but same size.

Anyway, here's the video... FWIW. It'll take it a little while to process on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J723S25nCU0

Cheers,

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:09 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Allan. Wow, I totally forgot about posting that Spitfire video. Thanks for reminding me. I got another cable for my camcorder, hoping to fix the noise problem, and it still did it. When I picked up my camcorder and the noise suddenly went away, I realized that my Wacom Tablet, which the camcorder was sitting on, was creating havoc with the camcorder. So I finally pulled the video off.

Sadly, it was shot in NTSC rather than HD. The setting got changed on my camcorder, so the video is pretty crappy compared to what I normally post.

But it's better than nothing, I guess.

My power system is the Turnigy SK 50-55 580KV motor from HobbyKing, with an 80 amp Turnigy ESC. It's spinning a 13x11 APC gas prop. Retract servos are some micro metal gear servos, can't remember which brand. Better than the Hitec 82mg, higher torque, but same size.

Anyway, here's the video... FWIW. It'll take it a little while to process on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J723S25nCU0

Cheers,

Todd
Thanks Todd, I can see the glimpse of it and she flies pretty well, sorry for the loss but congratulations, it's a job well done! Hope you can post some pics of your built if you have one. Btw what servos did you use for the aileron, rudder and elevator? I'm in a tight budget and can't afford those expensive servos,

Thanks

Allan
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:02 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,408 Posts
Quote:
bwa3006,

I don't like using retract servos, the fixed endpoints make it difficult to get the retract motion tuned properly. I much prefer a regular servo that I can program the travel and speed precisely. You want something with a good amount of torque.

These BlueBirds are nice MG servos that have more torque than the Hitec equivalent (HS85MG) and are half the price. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8760.

jhspring,

You're welcome. It sure looks nice in the CMP Spit. I got my pilot painted and cockpit glued on. It turned out really nice.
After I got the pilot painted and glued in, I took the same paints I used on the pilot and painted on top of the printed graphic to extend his arms & legs into the fake cockpit interior. It helped it feel like he didn't just have a torso with no lower body. Took about 5 minutes.

After I got it all done I'm looking at it and realized that maybe I painted his expression to look like he's a little TOO fearful of that squadron of Me109's that he just spotted swooping in at him from two o'clock.
Todd,

Can you supply any more details on the retract set up? I can't find any pictures on the thread showing details...is it set up for two separate retract servo's or one?

Sorry to hear of your problems and losing the model. I see from the thread that the model is back in stock at Nitro Models...the SK50-55 is on back order at HC. I think that is the motor I may go with and plan on 5S packs...any other idea?

What is the empty weight of the model? It would be nice to get it down to 6 pounds..... Sounds like yours flew fine at 7 pounds....

Thnx,
Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,408 Posts
All,

Further thoughts/questions on motors...

I would really like to stay with 4S packs if possible. Can the SK50-55 run on 4S5000 packs on small enough prop diameters to work? I have also been looking at the Turnigy 50-45/890kv and Turnigy SK 42-50/650kv.

Each motor at HC has a different way of showing possible props, batteries, etc.....

Thnx,
Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:13 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Denny,

I originally had a Turnigy 50-45/890kv motor in mine, but I couldn't get the plane to balance. It also ran very hot and drew too many amps on my 4S setup with the prop I was using, the 13x11, so I decided to go with a heavier, lower KV motor so I could solve both problems. I had the 50-55 on-hand for another project and stuck it in, and that got the plane to balance with my 5S 4400 packs (which was exactly the same weight as my 4S 5000mah packs, so either would have worked).

I'm sure you could get either motor to work, just plan on having your batteries right in the nose next to your motor, and possibly needing to add lead for nose weight.

One of the other guys here on the thread said he got his to balance with the 42-50 without any problems, but I don't see how. Maybe he had a heavy battery or something to offset the light motor.

I just used the retracts that came with the plane. They're already installed when you get the plane, though I did have to pull them out and make some adjustments to get them to lock properly. You can use a single standard sized servo for retracts (requires opening up the servo bay a bit), or two independent servos since each wing has a servo bay for the retracts. I used two separate servos because I had them on hand.

I'm not sure about the empty weight, I haven't measured it. 7lbs flew fine, just a little bouncy on the landings. I'm sure once I get a few more flights on it, the landings will be much better.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do on your power setup.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:30 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Denny,

I originally had a Turnigy 50-45/890kv motor in mine, but I couldn't get the plane to balance. It also ran very hot and drew too many amps on my 4S setup with the prop I was using, the 13x11, so I decided to go with a heavier, lower KV motor so I could solve both problems. I had the 50-55 on-hand for another project and stuck it in, and that got the plane to balance with my 5S 4400 packs (which was exactly the same weight as my 4S 5000mah packs, so either would have worked).

I'm sure you could get either motor to work, just plan on having your batteries right in the nose next to your motor, and possibly needing to add lead for nose weight.

One of the other guys here on the thread said he got his to balance with the 42-50 without any problems, but I don't see how. Maybe he had a heavy battery or something to offset the light motor.

I just used the retracts that came with the plane. They're already installed when you get the plane, though I did have to pull them out and make some adjustments to get them to lock properly. You can use a single standard sized servo for retracts (requires opening up the servo bay a bit), or two independent servos since each wing has a servo bay for the retracts. I used two separate servos because I had them on hand.

I'm not sure about the empty weight, I haven't measured it. 7lbs flew fine, just a little bouncy on the landings. I'm sure once I get a few more flights on it, the landings will be much better.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do on your power setup.

Todd
Todd,

Thanks for the help! Can the 50-55 run on a 4S pack? I am probably splitting hairs as new 5S4400 or 5S5000 packs won't break the bank from HC. (sounds like you need now weight anyway)

For retracts I like the separate servo's. From pictures earlier in the thread it looks like there may be a retract servo bay in each wing panel? Do retract servo's all run 180 degrees in travel? Can you set up the end points like you do with normal servo's?

Thanks again,

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:54 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
The 50-55 could run on a 4S pack no problem, but you may need to go with a larger prop for performance. I bought a 14x9 3-blade master airscrew to put on mine, and it looks GREAT on the plane, but you'll probably need a 5000mah 4S to handle the current draw. After my maiden runs, I had planned on swapping that out, but the plane didn't survive the 2nd flight. I rarely risk a 3-blade prop and 3-blade spinner on the maiden, they're too expensive and difficult to come by. The APC 13x11 gas is my "maiden" prop, because it always survives. Even with the Spitfire nosing into the ground from a high dive, the APC prop survived with only minor scratches, and the plane was a total loss.

I'm running dedicated A123 cells to my receivers from now on, for anything over a small parkflyer. I just don't trust BECs to power these stupid 2.4ghz receivers. This plane can handle the weight of the extra cells.

I didn't use dedicated retract servos. I don't like that they're so hard to set up, especially to change the speed of motion and range. I just use regular servos. But keep in mind, regular servos bind a lot more frequently with retracts than a standard retract servo, and a servo that binds causes huge power drag on your receiver. That may be why mine died. My retract servos hummed just a tiny bit, so I know they were drawing some juice at a constant rate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,408 Posts
Todd,

I either use my Astro Flight watt meter or an amp meter in series with my battery feeding the rx to check current draw when using retracts. I just finished a Super Sportwin and has dual retract servos. It sounds like a separate rx pack wouldn't hurt in the Spitty. I may use a Castle UBEC...

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:38 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
what 3-blade spinner are you gentlemen using? Photos would be nice!
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:50 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Denny,

Another one you might want to consider, rather than the 42-50 650kv is the 42-60 600kv. Same KV as the 50-55, and a little heavier than the 42-50.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2098

So many motor options! Gotta love it!

Mike,

www.atsrcplanes.com sells the ProSpin 3-blade spinners for a good price, and they have great service.

http://www.atsrcplanes.com/pro_spin_...ers_for_rc.htm

I had to get a separate shaft adapter for my plane because the shaft was a weird thread. I can't remember which one I used, but it was from HobbyKing.

Another option that's even cheaper is himodel.com
http://www.himodel.com/plane/3.25_in...m_Spinner.html

I think it may be the same spinner, but am not really sure. I've got one of those on order (already shipped) so that I can compare it to the ATS Prospin, which I already have. I'm putting one on the spit, and the other on the mustang.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Feb 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM.