HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:03 PM
Joined Feb 2003
418 Posts
Discussion
Are lipo battery gases harmful to inhale ?

thanks
mortonj69 is offline Find More Posts by mortonj69
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:41 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
LiPoly cells are vacumn sealed. How do you plan on inhaling them? If you are refering to the fumes from a vent with flames incident,then yes.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 15, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:42 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Yes, according to various MSDS they are.

http://www.mkbattery.com/documents/1...%20Polymer.pdf
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Yes,
From the MSDS
Quote:
Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards
Cells or batteries may flame or leak potentially hazardous organic vapors if exposed
to excessive heat or fire.
http://www.ulbi.com/documents/msdshe...14-Polymer.pdf
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:41 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
During testing on the LipoSack I got trapped in the corner of the yard when the wind shifted in the middle of an ignition. I didn't even get a full snort and my lungs hurt for days.
Harmful? Probably.
Hurts? Like the dickens. Kinda like getting a good shot of ammonia.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2009
63 Posts
I have read some MSDSs indicating HF (hydrogen fluoride) gas can be emmitted from Lipo batteries during cumbustion. VERY VERY toxic esecially when exposed in high enough quantities. I work with HF in a laboratory and mere skin contact can couse severe organ and bone damage, and even death. It's hard to say exactly how much HF would be emiited form any given Lipo battery. The HF is a byproduct of combustion from the polymer portion of the battery. So extraordinary caution is warranted IMO.
gumpee is offline Find More Posts by gumpee
Last edited by gumpee; Nov 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:11 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpee View Post
I have read some MSDSs indicating HF (hydrogen fluoride) gas can be emmitted from Lipo batteries during cumbustion. VERY VERY toxic esecially when exposed in high enough quantities. I work with HF in a laboratory and mere skin contact can couse severe organ and bone damage, and even death. It's hard to say exactly how much HF would be emiited form any given Lipo battery. The F comes from the polymer portion of the battery. So extraordinary caution is warranted IMO.
There was some stuff leaking from one of my Max Amps packs and it cause skin irritation all day. I washed my hands many times and it would just not stop the irritation. There was no sweet smell so they are different than other brands that I have. After that is I suspect any problem with Max Amps packs I immediately toss it in the trash. That was several months ago and I am still alive.

Does anyone know what Max Amps uses in their packs that makes them so dangerous?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
There was some stuff leaking from one of my Max Amps packs and it cause skin irritation all day. I washed my hands many times and it would just not stop the irritation. There was no sweet smell so they are different than other brands that I have. After that is I suspect any problem with Max Amps packs I immediately toss it in the trash. That was several months ago and I am still alive.

Does anyone know what Max Amps uses in their packs that makes them so dangerous?
It may be be just the alkaline solution, like lithium hydroxide, which is a strong base like sodium hydroxide. Very difficult to rinse off (slippery soapy feeling). The problem with getting those things on your skin is that you aften don't notice until it has penetrated deeply into your skin where it is doing damage until your flesh and body's buffering capacity evenually disspate the alkalinity away... that takes a while. Good thing you didn't rub your eyes.

If it is something else then the best way to get a clue as to what it may be would be to get your hands on a material safety data sheet MSDS for that product. It may or may not have enough detail to inform, although by law, it is required to list all hazardous components for all chemical based products. I very much doubt that it is a fluordie based issue, although anything is possible with high energy redox (battery) reactions going on.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Lithium Salt LiPF6 and PVDF are Fl containing compounds which when burned can release HF.
MSDS's are referenced in above posts.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
Joined Oct 2009
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Lithium Salt LiPF6 and PVDF are Fl containing compounds which when burned can release HF.
MSDS's are referenced in above posts.
Yup... I was not aware that it is actually part of the electrolyte (LiPF6)... should have read those before I posted. That makes it considerably more dangerous to handle in my book... even skin contact. Thank you for redirecting my/our attention back to those MSDSs. Seems to me like there is a significant amount of HF fume exposure potential as well... having it in the electrolyte in that proportion.

Never been interested in using Lipo myself just because of the combustion factors alone. I take my e-vehicle on trains and charge in my cubicle at work... two really bad places to have a road flare experience., much less a toxic version of one.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
how about uncombusted lipos, i bought a package off rcg for 4 lipos, well they were punctured and thanks to ups they were left in the hot sun all day, when i opened the package i smelled a very strong sweet smell, i didnt know what it was until later, then it hit me it was probably lipo juice that evaporated!!!, do you guys think it is toxic, just want to know if i should be concerned.
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:53 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Keep the damaged lipos outside.
Read the MSDS linked in post #3.

Basically, DON'T inhale the fumes, lick the juice, get it in your eyes, rub it into skin.
Wash with soap and warm water to remove lipo juice
Put the damaged cells in a zip-lock baggie
Take them to a recycling center for disposal.

Don't expose them to water or salt water.
Once more, read the Material Safety Data Sheet linked in post 3
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
if i have inhaled a lot of fumes what should i do.
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Kev

According to the MSDS chapter 4, First Aid
If inhaled,
Breathe clean air.
Seek medical attention

Get that stuff out of the house, on the driveway, 10 feet away from cars, burnable stuff like brush piles.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:12 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Do you feel ok?
You probably will be fine.
If you have difficulty breathing,
you may want to visit a doctor.
Make sure you bring a slip of paper with the name and model of the leaking battery.
Don't bring the actual leaking battery to the Doctor. You might get charged double if you do.