SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,121 Posts
Build Log
TVC's F4U Work Shop: 50" Full Fuse Foamy, Join us!

If you haven't heard we are going to be doing a build work on my F4U Corsair. This will be the new lead thread for the build. You are welcome to start your own thread, or simply post here or to the original build thread.
Building starts on Nov 20
We have the following members who are going to (or have) participate:
1. RogueTitan and his Night Fighter!
2. Derek_S
3. prunner and his build (pic 2)
4. riivopii
5. mrbig and his corsair
6. freddy snijder's corsair from Holland!
7. Slow_Buzz
8. Luis_Claudio from Brazil
9. ac_rite90 and his build
10. IKarte and his build from Germany
11. blacksto and his orange corsiar from Cluj, Romania!
12. chrish3901
13. dskalski

I would like to thank everyone who has built this model, this thread has been a blast!
But why not add a few more names to this list, why not yours?
Larry Ross has made very nice PDF files of the latest sketchup file:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=36

Parts list as follows...

Standard Equipment:
  • 3 servos (I use 9gram),
  • 150-200g motor
  • Speed controller
  • Rx
  • This setup will spin a 11-12" propeller.
Building Supplies:
  • Dow Fan Fold / Owens Corning Fan Fold / Depron 1/4 or 6mm
  • 1/2 Nominal High Denisty Extruded Polystyrene (9/16 actual)
  • Gold-n-rod push rod (or similar) for tail linkages
  • Heavy thread for an aileron pull-pull setup
  • At least 4 sheets of 2'x4' 1/4 Fan Fold Blue Core
  • 1/16 - 1/8 light plywood for a firewall motor mount.
  • Something to cut parts out with
  • Something to hold it together, I use hot glue.
  • It will work best to fiberglass the main wing for strenth.

Total all up weight will be targeted for no more then 1100g (40 Oz).
This post will be update as more information is available.
Projected finsih date will be late 01/2010

Design History - Original build
Trying to avoid some confusion here... wish me luck!
My original corsair was built with an incorrect wing incidence. This gave a particular nose down altitude in flight and caused the plane to fly with an increased amount of lift. The original plans with steeper incidence are still available but are not what I am currently building for this workshop. The original version is V1.0

Immediately after the problem was discovered the plans were corrected which changed a few parts. This version is what I will call V1.5 which should provide an increase in top speed of the aircraft.

I experienced an in flight failure to the rudder which I have attempted to correct for in the current workshop version. The result is moving the servos out of the control surfaces and using 1/2 (9/16 really) inch foam for the rudder and elevator with an improved mounting. These are the latest plans and are known as V2.

V2 is the current most up to date set of plans which Larry Ross is making the PDF files for us, and I hope he joins the build!

Post on find the CG
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g#post13686781
More on the CoG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=583

Latest Set of plans on my webpage here (you must register and "put in cart" to download for free):
http://www.foamcasualty.com/?product=f4u-corsair
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Last edited by tvcasualty; Nov 04, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:51 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I am looking forward to getting started Erik!
I have a F14 Tomcat that I am going to devote all my energy on this week in order to get it finished and out of the way and push all my other projects aside so I can focus on building these Corsairs.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
EDIT: New Updates of Eriks F4U design can be uploaded here these are the final renderings of the parts templates assembly sketchup drawing and design drawings which are featured at Eriks Website.
Erik also has several other Awesome warbird model plans at www.foamcasualty.com
These files are the latest and most complete templates and drawings
the PDF file will need to be copied to a CD ROM or a flash drive and taken to Office Depot or another copy/print shop to have full size copies of the templates made which is the best and easiest way.
PDF of parts templates & Sketchup assembly drawing
Sketchup design layout
if you want to use tiled plans you can still use the files below

ORIGINAL POST
Erik
I thought it might be a good idea to post the plans here on this thread for those who may not know about your original thread.

I plan on doing a short video on putting together the templates for the newcomers who do not have a phlat printer and will be using the ol Armstrong Xacto method of cutting parts. hopefully I can have the video up by tomorrow for those who may want to get started on laying out their templates a day early.

I would also mention that 6mm depron can be used in place of the FFF and 9mm for the tail feathers.

EDIT: These are the latest versions of the Tiled PDF templates

UPDATE: Link to other PDF's
Bubble Canopy Trim
Bird Cage ZIP
Flap & retract installation Files

Pannel line refrences
Last edited by RogueTitan; Jan 12, 2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Updated V2 Tiled Templates
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:19 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,121 Posts
Mike those will work great, I planned on doing a new set of plans for Friday for those who plan to cut the old fashin.. I mean "proven" way. I think it'd be ideal for someone to just take a PDF file to a copy house and have them print up one set of plans to cut out excluding mirriored parts (such as the other half of the main wing).

In the mean time I need to come up with some work surfaces for me to work off of.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:35 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
LOL It wouldn't hurt for me to clean up my work bench before getting started too, I suppose your mess is due to the remodeling project.
I am glad you mentioned that the whole file does not have to be copied, only one set of wing skins and former templates are needed. Just flip the wing template from left to right and cut a pair of each rib former.

you mentioned something about updating the tail section at another forum did you do that?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:51 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,121 Posts
Past few weeks I've been super busy setting up shop in my basement. I should have gotten a before picture, it wasn't pretty. I had to frame the pegboard walls in, run the wiring, install the lighting, and of course paint.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,121 Posts
Got to sit down and do some CAD tonight, I should be building tables, but I'm too tired tonight... Instead, here is a prelim of the new tail section.

I've brought down the rudder to sit on the elevator. This will help in alignment, and also provide a more robust rudder. Additionally a spar could be added but I do not think it will be necessary. The actual joint parts may get further simplified, but this should go together nicely like this.

Also, I'm looking for American production lines of aircraft from WWII. I want to hang a few of these pictures from my walls to inspire the new aircraft factory! Any links would be appreciated! (Another really good pic:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._line_1943.jpg)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:15 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Looking good Erik
I think I have had a bit of a relapse with this bug I had last week hopefully I will feel better tomorrow.

EDIT: Here are some links to motors and other electronics being used in a build
This Battery
with this motor
with this Prop and this prop
This UBEC and this ESC
Last edited by RogueTitan; Jan 06, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:05 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
I'll be watching from the sidelines, but a Corsair has always been on my "must-build" list.
Maybe in the winter (which feels like its here already).
Good luck, have fun.
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:51 AM
Prunner
Auburn, KS
Joined Oct 2008
829 Posts
Wish I didn't have to work today!
prunner is offline Find More Posts by prunner
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:57 PM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,121 Posts
Hey no worries Prunner. Today got a bit too crazy over here. Building will start tomorrow. I put in a door, picked up family from the airport, and dropped off family at the hospital. AND I'm not done yet! Crazy life, it happens.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:48 PM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Its been Crazy here today too I didn't get a chance to do anything today either.

Hey Erik I have a request since you are mister handy dandy with that sketchup program, could you mock up some oil cooler shrouds for the wings just to make it look a little more to scale?

I found some rotating retracts online that would be perfect for this build also. I will post a link tomorrow.

while I was at wally world today I bought a quart of Minwax Polycrylic and some of that Beacons FabriTack glue, it is supposed to be excellent bonding agent for foam, possibly could be just thekind of glue I need for this type of building technique.

So I guess it is On tomorrow for sure.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:22 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,121 Posts
Will do, that was in fact a planned update!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:38 AM
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
155 Posts
Subscribed,
mrbig is offline Find More Posts by mrbig
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:06 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Mr Big and Areo-K might as well download the templates and get started with us I am just fixing to get started piecing the templates together although I have been contemplating just going to a copy house and have them plot them out for me.
Here are the links to the rotating retracts I was talking about
http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...roducts_id/232
www.Hobbypartz.com lists them but are out of stock.

Hey fellas please do share any links to parts that can be used

So guys, how about a brain storming session before we begin?

Erik If you agree with this: maybe we should cut out all the parts first then lay aside the wings for last because I would really like to build a jig for this wing and take my time to build a really nice air foil. As with installing the oil cooler shrouds and retracts I would really love to install working flaps on this one also. I am also going to build a spar from yard sticks I picked up from WalMart.
I was thinking that I could cut in dove tail joints to join the spar at the intersecting angles.

EDIT: I just thought I would mention that I am going to finish the simple wing and post about it also for the guys who don't want to go through the steps to build such an elaborate wing. and I thought I would also mention that using Eriks' design does not require a jig if you don't want to build one. The first wing I put together was assembled without a jig or spars and is plenty strong however I think to build a wing with working retracts and flaps will require a stronger wing structure.
Last edited by RogueTitan; Nov 21, 2009 at 10:26 AM.