HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Cool
Acolyte LED lights for night flying!

Okay, so at my uncles wedding last weekend, I stumbled accross these neat LED lights they were using inside a GEL flower thing.

They looked pretty bright, and they had a bunch of them left over, so I grabbed a handful of blue and white, and decided to see how bright they were.

WOW! These things are bright!

The neat thing is that they're only 8 grams a piece, and are self powere by 2 of those button batteries inside. They turn on by a pull tab being pulled out from between the two, and it can be pushed back in, an on/off switch

Check out these pics of my DW Foamies 38" Yak 54, with 6 of the LEDs taped to the wingtips/fuselage. These were taken in a completely dark room, and as you can see my camera had no trouble seeing the entire thing without a flash

You can get them from here:

http://www.100candles.com/items/item_8261.htm

$2.49 a piece, or 10 for $22.90, or even 50 for $104.49. Not bad, as even 4 of them can light up a smaller parkflyer. 6-8 of them can light up an entire .40 sized glow plane Also, they come in lots of colors too.

Just thought I should share my findings with the rc world.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Last edited by Xpress..; Nov 15, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:34 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
747 Posts
That's pretty cool! I was thinking about adding lights to my EPP Yak55, but didn't want to add alot of weight. This might me a great option. Thanks for posting it.

pootman
pootman is online now Find More Posts by pootman
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,712 Posts
If you're not concerned about color, a cheaper way to go, and lighter, too, is with the
5mm High-Brightness White LED (2-Pack) $1.99, a few resistors (calculate values using this calculator) from Radio Shack and use your flight battery for power.

I put a couple of them on the LE of the wings of my planes as "landing lights" and they can be seen even in bright sunlight.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:05 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^The problem I have with those is that they need final assembly just to work, and they don't even runn off of their own seperate power source. Plus, they make good flashlights at night
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
^The problem I have with those is that they need final assembly just to work,
That's what makes them cheap.

Quote:
and they don't even runn off of their own seperate power source.
That's what makes them light.

Quote:
Plus, they make good flashlights at night
Never thought of that.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:32 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
you could always try the ''celebration lights'' at walmart they go for 2 for 3.99 or 10 for 10, I think. they can be found in the wedding section in the craft deparment.

you twist to turn on and they have their own button cell power plant
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:53 PM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
I hit Walmart after Christmas just to get the LED Christmas string lights at a discount.
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member