SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:50 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Ok here is another question. As far as the yaw mechanism, I noticed that you are using a full size servo. If there any particular reason why a smaller servo or digital, metal gear servo couldn't be used?
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:51 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,072 Posts
I had trouble with some ht mg servos not wanting to run through the gyro - I got some weird movement in the servo that run fine through the rx - I know Bob has used them on his smaller tricopters - I am using a full size just becasue that is what I had on hand - Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:52 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,072 Posts
Nevermind - I thought you were talking about your tricopter - I have been using a quadcopter in Reflex

Mike
Last edited by cdi3d; Nov 17, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
Oh, I've also started practicing with a Realflight. I downloaded a copy of a Y-UFO. I hope my Tricopter flies easier than the Y-UFO. It wants to tip over very easily.

- Jeff
Please, will you post the link?

thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
I did a search and located this Y-UFO: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=9740
Old Nov 17, 2009, 04:14 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass3587 View Post
Ok here is another question. As far as the yaw mechanism, I noticed that you are using a full size servo. If there any particular reason why a smaller servo or digital, metal gear servo couldn't be used?
For the dt 750's a smaller servo is overworked. Its not he gears that are the problem, it is power. Hold a dt750 while running and try to turn it. There are lots of gyroscopic forces to overcome. I do use a hextronic 9 gram metal gear for the smaller copter, and MIGHT get away with it on the DT 750 copter, but its not worth the 1-2 oz saving.

Plus, I'm cheap, and had the full size servo already

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:27 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
I did a search and located this Y-UFO: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=9740
Yep, that's the one I'm practicing with. Damn hard too.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:

- Jeff
Well, I believe it is better for it to be harder than easier and have a great surprise on the maiden flight.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:55 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,072 Posts
Hey guys - I just finished building a hover trainer to help me to trim my tricopter indoors - Just ran a piece of monofilament through a hole in the cg - Helps save me a few props while messing around inside - Works great as a training aid also - Just attach it to the floor and ceiling - KISS method - Rather fly the real thing verse a simulator -
Hover Training Tool- (0 min 54 sec)

Mike
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Hey guys - I just finished building a hover trainer to help me to trim my tricopter indoors - Just ran a piece of monofilament through a hole in the cg - Helps save me a few props while messing around inside - Works great as a training aid also - Just attach it to the floor and ceiling - KISS method - Rather fly the real thing verse a simulator - http://www.vimeo.com/7675445

Mike
Looking good Mike!

I like the lights. Had them on the old copter, just haven't got around to putting them on the new one.

Bob D
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:11 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,072 Posts
Thanks Bob - I am going to go pick up some new props tomorrow - I have been running APC 11x4.7 but I think they are to heavy for good response and might be part of my cause for power fluctuations and lose of altitude - I am going to try some 12x6 and 11x4.7 gws and see how they do - The trainer really helps save those props -

Mike
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:20 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bob - I am going to go pick up some new props tomorrow - I have been running APC 11x4.7 but I think they are to heavy for good response and might be part of my cause for power fluctuations and lose of altitude - I am going to try some 12x6 and 11x4.7 gws and see how they do - The trainer really helps save those props -

Mike
Hi Mike

Be careful drilling those 11X4.7 props for the 4mm shaft. I had two props come apart in flight. I think it was due to the bit grabbing the plastic and pulling through before the bit had a chance to cut. I drilled the rest on the drill press with progressivly larger bits, and haven't lost a prop again.

Bob D
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:37 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys - I just finished building a hover trainer to help me to trim my tricopter indoors - Just ran a piece of monofilament through a hole in the cg - Helps save me a few props while messing around inside - Works great as a training aid also - Just attach it to the floor and ceiling - KISS method - Rather fly the real thing verse a simulator -

Mike
That's a hell of an idea. Thanks. Once I get up and running (order is still processing ) I'll have to set that up. Thanks again for a great idea.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
Yeah, my HK order shows shipped.
signguy, can you give me the dia. of the 750 motor mount base please? I have the body and arms cut and bolted together, I can start making the yaw mount and mount discs for the other two motors. I'll post pics tomorrow, been working overtime every day so I don't have a lot of build time in the evenings. I should be able to get more done this weekend.
Dave
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:36 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Quote:

- Jeff
I just tried the --UFO2 and for me, it is keeping the origination correct. The only reference is the yellow fin.