SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
Glad to hear you finally got it going, what bad luck to have two bad Rx's, good luck on the maiden.
Dave
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:28 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq View Post
I don't think you're going to find them. Since you can reverse the spin of a brushless motor by flipping any two wires, you'd get the same effect as a pusher just by flipping over your prop.
Not true. The standard prop is CCW and if the prop is flipped over it is still a CCW prop and does not change the rotation direction of the motor.

What you want in a Tricopter is two CCW turning motors and one CW turning motor to cancel out "two of the torques". And you will need a CW prop for that.
Or otherwise three CCW turning motors and compensate for the torque by tilting the motors.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:30 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
CAN I and and without pissing people off here???

I cannot believe this.... I've pretty much got things working. I still need to figure out why the ESC on Aileron channel will not arm with the gains connected to my throttle channel. Wierd. But I now have the gains on the gear channel w/the input for gear set to gyro. All motors power up, are solidly responding to throttle inputs, and if I move the arms I can hear the motors vary in speed. Guess all I have to do now is re-attach my props and take this thing out for a maiden flight...

So - what was the problem... The RX! The gittering on my Yaw servo should have given me a clue!!! I sat back down and proceeded to disconnect EVERYTHING. I was going to run up each motor/esc combo seperately to verify the components. After not getting two motors to run up correctly I thought I would test just running a servo. So, connected up my yaw servo w/out the gyro and had zero control and it would jump all over the place.

Now, when I first connected everything up I wasn't getting anything. RevRichie suggested my RX and I replaced it which started giving me good results. I just replaced that 2nd receiver with a third - and whalla! Got everythign to work as it should!

YESSsssss

I think it was Tom(P) or Tstokes? that the same problem w/a 7202 right? Did you all ever get yours up and running w/the gains on the throttle???
Congrats!
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:35 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2009
499 Posts
All -
Trying to put together an HC order for a tri based on signguy's build without much luck, they are out of the hexTronik DT750 Brushless Outrunner 750kv, Turnigy BESC Programming Card, and Turnigy 3A UBEC w/ Noise Reduction. What other motors, programming cards, and UBECs have you guys used and had success with? I'm going to run everything with the telebees on a Eurgle 9ch TX/RX.

Also, can I use any servos on this setup?

Thanks!
Agjake01 is offline Find More Posts by Agjake01
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:07 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
My Spectrum 6100 receiver packed-up completely yesterday whilst trying to set-up my IR stabilisation system and CCPM on-board mixer.

It seems to me that there have been an alarming number of receiver failures/faults reported during tricopter builds. I can't think that we are doing anything to damage them but it does seem odd......

Hopefully I'll test fly the stab system later today.

Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:13 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
For experimentation, one of these or one like it is a good way to go.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exrc62tr.html
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:16 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,786 Posts
What brand of mixers?

What are some brands of mixers that would work with a setup like this. I understand that some v-tail mixers will work and some will not.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:20 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,265 Posts
That sure is cheap enough Are they dependable ? ...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
What are some brands of mixers that would work with a setup like this. I understand that some v-tail mixers will work and some will not.

I am using the following, they appears to work very well however I have not flown my Tricopter yet.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/vmiforflwior.html
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:23 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
When I placed my order with Hobby King, they were sold out of their brand of V-tails.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:44 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,786 Posts
After studying that diagram I see that you will need some elevator to throttle mixing on the transmitter. If you don’t the total lift will change with elevator input so you will need to mix down the throttle slightly when you push on the stick (rudder motor aft configuration) and mix throttle up when you pull back in the elevator stick.

Has anyone got flight test data on this or is breaking new ground?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 01, 2010, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post

Has anyone got flight test data on this or is breaking new ground?

There are a number of people that have built this and flown it, Sebastian is one and I believe Terry is another.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 08:25 AM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
If you are looking for a full function cheap radio, you can't miss with the eurgle. Bad name, good radio. receivers are only $14 at HC
Bob D
Bob, I saw you mentioning it before. Do the HK receivers bind with the module that comes with the Eurgle?

Yoram
TigerPilot is offline Find More Posts by TigerPilot
Old Jan 01, 2010, 08:51 AM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Not true. The standard prop is CCW and if the prop is flipped over it is still a CCW prop and does not change the rotation direction of the motor.

What you want in a Tricopter is two CCW turning motors and one CW turning motor to cancel out "two of the torques". And you will need a CW prop for that.
Or otherwise three CCW turning motors and compensate for the torque by tilting the motors.
Sorry about that, you're absolutely right. My suggestion would have it pushing in opposite direction of the other motor. Not what you're looking for.

The closest I was able to find was APC slow flyer pusher props in 10", no 11's. They also have 12" in APC-E.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...C10038SFP.html
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...C10047SFP.html
muidaq is online now Find More Posts by muidaq
Old Jan 01, 2010, 09:16 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I have not flown these yet but they came highly recommended by the Quad guys.

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=268