SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:07 AM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Bingo RR

I've now learned a couple of things... First - found a bad RX LoL.. Just for the heck of it I thought I'd quickly try a different RX. Telebees armed right away. ESCs beeped and motors - well.. Lets just say that leads me to my 2nd learning experience. LoL

Next thing I HAVE to do is install a switch between the main battery and the ESCs. I love those Deans connectors, but when you are trying to hold things down with one hand it's not very easy to disconnect the battery to kill power!!!

Also - I don't think my mounts are strong enough. Motor mount screws are already starting to work loose - not a good thing. So, may have to re-think how those are connected as well.
So, now I need to figure out how to and where to adjust the gains on the gyros. Not a big deal, just need a little more reading to understand what to adjust and just how much.

The other thing I need to figure out is what happens with changing the flight modes and the gear switch. throttle at zero and trim turned to zero I still had one of the front motors turning. Now and then the back motor would spin up, but depending on which switch was set where (too hectic and I didn't really try to make sense of what was happening at this point) sometimes the right front (aileron connection) motor would spin, other times it was the left front (aux1 connection).

Now, the strainge thing was they were spinning at various power level, throttle position had zero effect. Matter of fact moving the throttle didn't change anything.

Like I said earlier - I just need to re-read through the thread here and see if I can figure it all out.

BTW: if I am reading things right here are some of my radio settings (JR7202):
Swash setup to 3servos 120deg
Input select: Aux2/Aux2 - Gear/Gear (default) -- not sure what this is doing for me yet
Swash Mix, 3 serv/120deg all set to 60%
Throttle Curve (default) 0 INH 50 INH 100 EXP off -- wierd that the flt mode switch would cause motors to spin differently yet they're all set the same
Pitch Curve - same as throttle (all three flt modes)
Revo Mix - all at zero
No expos dialed in yet

Maybe someone can see a setting wrong there...

For now - it's past my bedtime Good place to stop for the evening...
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:52 AM
Redmond OR
Joined Dec 2009
38 Posts
Tricopter frame sets

AC5FF I dont think your throttle curve should be at those settings are you using throttle channel for gyro gain as advised on the forum If so adjust them to 5 -7 on all points. Also I have found on the JR 9303 its just the opposite I have to have mine on 75 to get them out of lock mode. I tested the gyros with servos first and at 5 percent they were in heading lock. Also they have a lot more travel set to digital mode. Cant wait till ice and snow is gone so I can test the dang thing in forward flight. (BRRRRR)

Just for info guys.. We have two versions of tricopter frames for sale designed by mike (CDI3d) he did a standup job designing these we are building the first version for ourselves couldnt resist. As of this week we are working on a complete one for the model 2 with motor mounts and landing gear and will update the prices soon. New stock has come in so we are ready to cut again. we are also going to sell hardware kits and carbon square tube soon and different motor mounts for standard outrunner motors.

And Oh John Oh sullivan glad you were able to adapt the parts for your stuff.

averticalview.com for details on frame sets
Averticalview is offline Find More Posts by Averticalview
Last edited by Averticalview; Dec 30, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:14 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
Hi was an optimum frame size ever figured out when using 3 telebees? cheers

Josh
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:13 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
Bingo,
A suggestion for you on the power switch: Unless you want to put on a heavy high amp switch that will still be prone to faliure on your ESC power, you will be better off putting a smaller lower amp power switch on your RX power. I would also power the gyros from the same source so they could be turned off from the same switch.
FWIW.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
Bingo RR
Next thing I HAVE to do is install a switch between the main battery and the ESCs. I love those Deans connectors, but when you are trying to hold things down with one hand it's not very easy to disconnect the battery to kill power!!!
...For now - it's past my bedtime Good place to stop for the evening...
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:11 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Hi RTR
That tri will lift three 6 oz cameras with ease. You really only need tower pro 2410-09 motors to lift a point and shoot camera. I fly a cam payload of about 7.5-8 oz. I can fly that around for 7 min on a 3 cell zippy 2200 20c pack. When the battery monitor starts to beep you have 30-40 seconds to get back down.
Bob D
Thanks Bob

This is the cam. I'll eventually be using.
http://www.goprocamera.com/products
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:22 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Bingo,
A suggestion for you on the power switch: Unless you want to put on a heavy high amp switch that will still be prone to faliure on your ESC power, you will be better off putting a smaller lower amp power switch on your RX power. I would also power the gyros from the same source so they could be turned off from the same switch.
FWIW.
Cheers,
Jim
Just a question here - I seem to remember coming across this a while back on some other power plane thread...

If I power down my RX with a switch on the BEC line; that'll cut power to the RX and the gyros. However, since the ESCs are still powered directly from the main battery - don't you risk loosing control of the motors at that point? They could shut down, or rev full power, or whatever at this point right? If anything is on that ESCs signal line the ESCs are going to drive those motors regardless of whether or not the RX has power.

With adding a low current switch on the BEC or high current switch on the main power line you are still risking a switch failure; but I would think that a switch for main power to the motors will be 'safer' ....

Still reading through the thread again (up to pg 36 now) to see where I may have gone wrong w/my build and/or setup... Made a few notes so far. Once I've made it the rest of the way I'll compile what I've thought I have learned and post another list of questions
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:30 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
This needs to be verified but I believe most ESCs have a fail-safe feature that when there is no RX signal present, they will shutdown.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:38 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Iím going to jump on the Tricopter bandwagon and am collecting parts.

DT700 and DT750 both out of stock.
Is there an alternative that will fit the same mount?

I have a few Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESCís that I might use. I assume since these are high end ESCís that they should work. CC says that they are designed to run at high frame rates and have driven them with gyros in the digital mode before. Has anyone used these ESCís?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Dec 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:39 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
Thanks Bob

This is the cam. I'll eventually be using.
http://www.goprocamera.com/products
My buddy just got the go pro HD, Now I have to see if he'll let me fly it around in the tricopter. He bought it to use on off road motorcycle rides, so it may be safer in the air.....
Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:49 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have a few Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESCís that I might use. I assume since these are high end ESCís that they should work. CC says that they are designed to run at high frame rates and have driven them with gyros in the digital mode before. Has anyone used these ESCís?
By Chance, would you have a reference source for driving an ESC in Digital Mode? I would create a bench test to try it but I don't have any spare back up parts if something should go wrong.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
By Chance, would you have a reference source for driving an ESC in Digital Mode? I would create a bench test to try it but I don't have any spare back up parts if something should go wrong.
It really depends on the manufacturers design specifications as to the maximum input frame rate that they can be driven. I would not risk it unless the manufacture says itís ok. Castle Creations has a forum on RC Groups and things like that get discussed and answered by CC.

The problem with a bench test is that there are variations between hardware components (gyro, ESC, or voltage) and it could be that some combos wouldnít work or would fail in flight. Itís just not worth the risk unless there is lots of user data or the Mfg. says itís ok.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:14 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2009
499 Posts
All -

I'm new to the RC world and want to thank everyone for all the insightful threads and builds here on RCgroups. I've read through signguy's build and have decided to attempt a tri build this spring. As I'm about as green as they come, any suggestions or advice along the way will be greatly appreciated. I do have my trusty heli wiki to reference when you all start talking over me so any pointers, reads or links are much appreciated.

Thanks again - Jake

http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Main_Page
Agjake01 is offline Find More Posts by Agjake01
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
It really depends on the manufacturers design specifications as to the maximum input frame rate that they can be driven. I would not risk it unless the manufacture says itís ok. Castle Creations has a forum on RC Groups and things like that get discussed and answered by CC.

The problem with a bench test is that there are variations between hardware components (gyro, ESC, or voltage) and it could be that some combos wouldnít work or would fail in flight. Itís just not worth the risk unless there is lots of user data or the Mfg. says itís ok.

thank you for this input, being this is my very first build, I will stick with the STD mode to drive the ESCs. I will search for and join the Castle Creations thread.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Jake
Welcome to the madness!!! LOL
Ask away - I know I've well over-abused that feature of RCG and have yet to get 'kicked' from any threads!!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:42 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
All of the various ESC's I use shut down the motors when there is no Rx power and the servo connectors are directly connected to the Rx.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
Just a question here - I seem to remember coming across this a while back on some other power plane thread...
If I power down my RX with a switch on the BEC line; that'll cut power to the RX and the gyros. However, since the ESCs are still powered directly from the main battery - don't you risk loosing control of the motors at that point? They could shut down, or rev full power, or whatever at this point right? If anything is on that ESCs signal line the ESCs are going to drive those motors regardless of whether or not the RX has power.
...:
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins