HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:40 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Nevermind - I thought you were talking about your tricopter - I have been using a quadcopter in Reflex

Mike
Hi mike,

So there is a built-in quadcopter model in Reflex?
Does it come close to a tricopter model?
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:47 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quadcopter model for Reflex XTR.
http://www.rc-sim.de/wbb3/index.php?...seItem&id=4359
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:02 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
I'm totally new to helis and I'm sure some of the guys here are new to helis too. Been flying slowstick, EPP eagle, flying wings.

Oh my, how do you fly the thing?
Any tips and advice on the learning process?

This guy recommends Reflex XTR.
http://www.rchelicopterweb.com/Learn...rningToFly.htm

I don't want to buy an expensive simulator. Cheap is what attracted me to tricopters in the first place.

Maybe I can get a good 2nd hand simulator.
By the way is there a tricopter model for the Reflex XTR?
Have a look at clear view flight sim too. It is a free download, and the newest version is VERY good. It really does model helicopters very well. There are no tri's or quads, but any heli training will work. The clearview site also list possible transmitters too.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
Question
Will Bobs Tri on page one,(with all listed components)airlift a 6 oz. camera ?
And what kind of a flight time ? thanks...RTR
Hi RTR
That tri will lift three 6 oz cameras with ease. You really only need tower pro 2410-09 motors to lift a point and shoot camera. I fly a cam payload of about 7.5-8 oz. I can fly that around for 7 min on a 3 cell zippy 2200 20c pack. When the battery monitor starts to beep you have 30-40 seconds to get back down.
Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:20 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Have a look at clear view flight sim too. It is a free download, and the newest version is VERY good. It really does model helicopters very well. There are no tri's or quads, but any heli training will work. The clearview site also list possible transmitters too.

Bob D
Thanks for the tip Bob.
I checked it out. Clearview costs USD 39. Real good deal, but uses a USB joystick controller. My radio is a JR and I would prefer training on my TX than a joystick. Or I could get a USB cable for my JR.

So a tricopter is much the same as any heli? Or a FP heli?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:40 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,031 Posts
etman - Make the hover trainer and you will not need the simulator - keep it cheap is right - make a simple hover trainer and you can learn to hover very easily without any crashes - trust me -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:59 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
etman, speaking from someone with very little heli experience, this is way easier to hover. I had a honey bee, and it didn't take off or hover as easily as this Tri does, and I couldn't hover it in much more than a light puff of air. The Tri takes off without having to hold rudder and right cyclic as in a heli, it just goes straight up. I had my Tri out in 15-18 mph wind the other day, and hovered it fairly steady in it. I haven't gotten into flying around with it yet, I can move it around the yard side to side, forward and back and going up and down. I'll get it out in a big field soon and start "flying" it.
Build one and start "hopping" it as they called it in the HBFP thread, that's lifting off about 3-4 feet high (out of ground effect) and learning to control it. You can't do much damage to it other than break a prop at that height with the folding arms and clips like Bob has on his. After flying planes, it takes awhile to get used to using the elevator for forward and back LOL.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:02 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
etman - Make the hover trainer and you will not need the simulator - keep it cheap is right - make a simple hover trainer and you can learn to hover very easily without any crashes - trust me -

Mike
Well I may just do it all.
Sim, hover trainer and "training gear"(4 foam balls in an X).
Can you show how you did your hover trainer?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:04 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
etman, speaking from someone with very little heli experience, this is way easier to hover. I had a honey bee, and it didn't take off or hover as easily as this Tri does, and I couldn't hover it in much more than a light puff of air. The Tri takes off without having to hold rudder and right cyclic as in a heli, it just goes straight up. I had my Tri out in 15-18 mph wind the other day, and hovered it fairly steady in it. I haven't gotten into flying around with it yet, I can move it around the yard side to side, forward and back and going up and down. I'll get it out in a big field soon and start "flying" it.
Build one and start "hopping" it as they called it in the HBFP thread, that's lifting off about 3-4 feet high (out of ground effect) and learning to control it. You can't do much damage to it other than break a prop at that height with the folding arms and clips like Bob has on his. After flying planes, it takes awhile to get used to using the elevator for forward and back LOL.
Really that easy to fly?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:05 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,031 Posts
All I did for the hover trainer is used a piece of 14lb fishing line threaded through the cg hole on the tri attached to the ceiling and attached to the floor - very simple -
And yes they are easy to fly -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:46 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Utter Failure

Okay.. well not Utter Failure - but wasn't a smooth start!!
I now know what I will be doing tomorrow and through the weekend!! Complete failure tonight w/my Tri and first power up testing.

I followed the wiring setup as was shown in post 621 by Zirt. I am going to have to go through each wire to make sure, but I am fairly certain it was wired correctly. I applied power and got no where.

First off; is a BEC necessary? At first I didn't think it would be, but when I connected the battery I got nothing at all -- period. So I hooked up another battery thru a BEC and I left the main battery to the ESCs disconnected. Now I got power to my gyros, but they only flashed, never turned solid. I hooked up the main power battery and same thing -- just flashing on the telebee gyros.

The reason I wanted to power everything up was to get my yaw servo centered before finalizing that part of the setup. The GWS gyro stayed solid red and the servo was all over the place (even with the Tri setting steady on the floor).

At no point did I get any beeps from any of my ESCs. No hint of anything out of the motors at all at any time.

So, all I can think to do here now is to basically pull all the wiring apart and recheck to be sure all the connections are good. But I am fairly certain they all are. I ohmed all of the connections out before I connected anything up.

Does anyone have any clues as to what could be going on and/or where I might begin looking for any malfunctions?
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Really that easy to fly?
Don't get me wrong, your not just going to lift off a tri and go flying around right away. I spent weeks with my HBFP just learning to hold it fairly still for a liftoff. My Tri lifted off without any input other than throttle after it was trimmed. Once in the air, you do need to input controls to keep it from wandering off. You will need to learn orientation, that's what I'm doing now.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
AC5FF, do you have one of the red (bec) esc to gyro wires connected? If not, that is why you did not get anything. On my paticular set up I get blue flashing from the Telebees when first connected and beeping from the esc's. I then have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to get them to initialize (solid blue light and no beeping).
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:35 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
I took off all three red wires from the ESCs to the gyros - so none of them are connected.

The flashing from the telebees is at least letting me know power is making it to them - but the fact I am not getting anything from the ESCs is where I think I may have my problem. However, even if I were not getting the power to the ESCs, shouldn't the Gyros still cycle through their initializing and turn solid for me???

Not only is this the first 'heli' setup I have tried, but it's the first time I've tried to wire in multiple ESCs. I got a lot of new ground I am covering with this build. A lot of learning to do. I'm sure it'll all work out but I would have to say I am 99% positive the wiring is all correct (per diagram).

I've put it aside for the evening. Work is dead slow this week so I will probably take it in w/me tomorrow and pull it all apart there. Much bigger work benches and better test equipment Always a plus!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
The flashing from the telebees is at least letting me know power is making it to them - but the fact I am not getting anything from the ESCs is where I think I may have my problem. However, even if I were not getting the power to the ESCs, shouldn't the Gyros still cycle through their initializing and turn solid for me???

The Flashing from the gyros can also means, they are not receiving a signal from the receiver, therefore, the ESCs will not arm.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter