SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:13 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois View Post
fellas, got the tri-copter ready to test...well as soon as i get my props. forgot all about ordering them. lols. i tested everything without them, and all the electronics are working great. i want to give thanks to signguy for this cool build thread, and to any of the fellas that answered my noob questions. i will try to get video of the testing when i get my props. peace, randy.

Looks good Randy, can't wait to hear the flight report!
Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:15 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
Well it took a month when HC usually takes about a week to me but my stuff finally arrived this morning. I got a couple of hours to myself in the workshop this afternoon and got all of the soldering etc done.
Hopefully flight tests tomorrow.
I don't know how you held out for a month!! I usually get my HC orders in a week to 10 days. Can't wait to see it go, video!!!!video!!

Bob D
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:05 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
BoB.
FFF trial will be the way to go.. Got plenty of it laying around Good idea though. Will definatly watch that 'pitch' issue to get it flying. I don't remember seeing another Tri thread showing one w/anything attached ... Will have to look and see if I can find that one...

I got 1 light strip purchased.. Never trying them out I wanted to see what I was going to get myself into first... Gonna need another two or three; but will be messing w/the neighbors plenty If I can get this tuned right I'll take off on calm dark nights right from my 3rd story apartment's balcony, fly around and bring it back to me. Will really enjoy giving the neighbors below me a good 'show' They've ticked me off once too many times going out on their balcony to smoke... All of it just rizes and comes in through my screen door stinkn up my apartment...

Payback's a ........ Yup
I like the way you think! That should stir up the neighbors real good! And the prop wash will keep the smoke away
Bob D
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:17 PM
Joined Sep 2005
934 Posts
You guys that are new customers of Tricopter City (also known as Hobby City) keep in mind when Chinese New Year hits ( forgot the date, Google it) they shut down. Poof no toys for you yankeee..... When they open back up there is usually a backlog of orders.
GallopingGhost is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhost
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:21 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Okay

Pleased to report success from Dorset! One small hitch caused by a careless mistake (I disconnected gyro reds rather than ESC reds resulting in improper earth and no ESC gain control!) and I was in business. Darkness had fallen and the maiden video is not worth posting but I can say that it flies 'off the board' thanks Bob.
Tweaking and video tomorrow.
Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:41 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Okay

Pleased to report success from Dorset! One small hitch caused by a careless mistake (I disconnected gyro reds rather than ESC reds resulting in improper earth and no ESC gain control!) and I was in business. Darkness had fallen and the maiden video is not worth posting but I can say that it flies 'off the board' thanks Bob.
Tweaking and video tomorrow.
Ad
WOOHOO!! Can't wait to see it! There's going to be a fleet of copters around the world! Thats too cool.

Bob D
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,495 Posts
http://www.apples4theteacher.com/hol...-new-year.html
Chinese New Year begins Feb. 14 in 2010
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:44 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
swash mix...

this question is for anyone that can answer it... wile i am waiting on my props, i decided to make sure the direction, and gyros were set-up rite. i have everything looking good. when i throttle up, it almost takes to half stick to start, but it works great. i was messing with the pitch in the swash mix, and found that if i lowered the value, the motors started sooner. i have read over the set-ups you fellas use and i have never seen this. my question is, if i set the pitch up so motors start sooner is this a problem?? i have the pitch curve at 0-inh-50-inh-100...thanks for any insight on this. randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:50 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,495 Posts
Congratulations Lomcevac.

Yes Bob, Tricoiptors will take over the world, and it's all because of you.

rjarois, on a Futaba 8U my throttle curve is 20% across the board and my pitch curve settings are 0 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 90
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
Congratulations Lomcevac.

Yes Bob, Tricoiptors will take over the world, and it's all because of you.

rjarois, on a Futaba 8U my throttle curve is 20% across the board and my pitch curve settings are 0 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 90
Dave i got you on that....im talking about the pitch setting in the swash mix itself. i got the elev and aile set to 40% and if i set the pitch to 40% it takes a half stick of throttle to start motors. if i set the pitch value down to like 20% the motors start quicker. i understand that you have to set up with a pitch gage on variable collective pitch, but on our fixed pitch tri-copters, is it different? the way im understanding it is that the pitch curve controls the throttle.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:29 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhost View Post
You guys that are new customers of Tricopter City (also known as Hobby City) keep in mind when Chinese New Year hits ( forgot the date, Google it) they shut down. Poof no toys for you yankeee..... When they open back up there is usually a backlog of orders.
tell me about it!! Hit me hard last year!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:16 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois View Post
Dave i got you on that....im talking about the pitch setting in the swash mix itself. i got the elev and aile set to 40% and if i set the pitch to 40% it takes a half stick of throttle to start motors. if i set the pitch value down to like 20% the motors start quicker. i understand that you have to set up with a pitch gage on variable collective pitch, but on our fixed pitch tri-copters, is it different? the way im understanding it is that the pitch curve controls the throttle.
Pitch curve does control where the throttle starts, and the sensitivity of the throttle. If you set 0-40-50-70-100 your throttle should start earlier in the stick travel, then flatten in the hover area. But when you add weight, the curve will need to change. Those numbers are just a guesstimate. You will have to fool with them on your radio.

Bob D
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:54 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
great thanks bob....i will give it a look...randy.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:37 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
I used the HC 3 cell battery monitor as recommended by Bob but I'm getting the battery monitor beeping quite a bit during flight, even with a fully charged 4Ah 3 cell pack. I can't believe the voltage is dropping dangerously low but will have to do a bench check to see what it is triggering at.
Since there was no paperwork supplied with this monitor can anyone post what the sequence of warning is in terms of LED colours and beeps?

Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
I used the HC 3 cell battery monitor as recommended by Bob but I'm getting the battery monitor beeping quite a bit during flight, even with a fully charged 4Ah 3 cell pack. I can't believe the voltage is dropping dangerously low but will have to do a bench check to see what it is triggering at.
Since there was no paperwork supplied with this monitor can anyone post what the sequence of warning is in terms of LED colours and beeps?

Ad
Hi Lomcevac

My Battery monitor will stay solid blue led with a full pack, then it goes to flashing blue, then you get a quick red led with a beep during higher current drains near the end of a flight. Then a constant beeping with a flashing red light. I usually fly around till I hear the first red warning beep, then I have plenty of time to get on the ground. Near the 8min mark, or 6 min with camera, I'll give the throttle a quick jab to see how the battery responds, if I get no red light or beep I'm OK for another min or so.

Bob D