Impressive Mike!
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Here are some images from my new tri frame - This one flies so much better than my last one - I really like having everything over the CG - I need some longer bolts so I can add the camera platform - I am also using a telebee on the tail and it works great - As you can see the frame is really small - gyros are at 90 deg and really like that setup - The vimeo does not use the hover trainer I built earlier - I was pretty happy with the stability - Thanks Bob - These are so much fun!!!

Mike
Mike, you say that the gyros are at 90 but in the pictures they look to be mounted on the arms at 120.

Yoram
TigerPilot is offline Find More Posts by TigerPilot
Last edited by TigerPilot; Dec 17, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,027 Posts
No they are at 90 deg. The ESC's are at 120 but they gyros on the second plate from the bottom are at 90 - Thanks

PS I just tried some 12x6 gws props on my lighter tri and I was able to hover without the failure I had before - MIght be due to the weight of my last tricopter - I really like the sound of the 12x6 over the 11x4.7 and the lift is incredible - I was hovering at around 1/3 stick vrs. half with the 11x4.7 - Anyone else using 12x6 props? Need to test further - might need some 12x4.7's - hmmm??

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Last edited by cdi3d; Dec 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 03:42 PM
Grenoble-France
Joined Sep 2007
67 Posts
another tri in air!

Thanks to Signguy and others to put that "thing" in my head and inspire me that so nice feeling: after a nice maiden flight. Less words more flights

TricoPia (1 min 44 sec)
momozzzz is offline Find More Posts by momozzzz
Old Dec 17, 2009, 03:54 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
526 Posts
Looks great Momozzzz! Good flying.

I like your landing gear idea.

Tom(A)
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:26 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,027 Posts
Hey very nice! great job and nice looking tri!

Mike
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:51 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Momozzzz - Awesome looking tri and successful maiden flights are always great to have on film. I have to agree w/ Tom(A) above - I really like your landing gear idea. Will have to look for something like that at the LHS next time I'm out and about

I am thinking WAY WAY WAY too far ahead on my build... I've barely got the framework done on my first and I'm already thinking about some type of 'shell' for it... LoL Assuming my tri goes together and flies as nice as everyone elses here I may just have to carve these out of foam and build me a lightweight fiberglass shell to freak out the neighbors! HAHAHA Just going to have to see if I can get this wired and programmed right to fly 'backwards' from the norm

BTW: just for scale - my tri's arms are 24". Motors to CG measure in just under 28"
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:19 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,027 Posts
I would really like to find some new motors but I want something in the US - Anyone tried anything else that will work?

Mike
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
I've not ordered from here (yet) but it looks like they've got some good prices.
http://www.hobbypartz.com

After the holidays are up I am going to have to look at putting in an order
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:33 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,263 Posts
Ken has good prices. He is in California: www.quadroufo.com
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
I would really like to find some new motors but I want something in the US - Anyone tried anything else that will work?
Mike
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
Nice Tri and video momozzzz, congratulations on the maiden. I like the landing gear too.
Dave
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:26 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
AC5FF, the K'T'Inga Class Battlecruiser looks to be a good fit, and would look cool flying around the neighborhood. Now get to work on your Tri.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
526 Posts
Quote:
PS I just tried some 12x6 gws props on my lighter tri and I was able to hover without the failure I had before - MIght be due to the weight of my last tricopter - I really like the sound of the 12x6 over the 11x4.7 and the lift is incredible - I was hovering at around 1/3 stick vrs. half with the 11x4.7 - Anyone else using 12x6 props? Need to test further - might need some 12x4.7's - hmmm??

Mike
I've been thinking about the prop selection too. With electric helis, I understand that the most efficient operation of ESCs is when they are at the high end of their "curve". (i.e. - 80 - 100%) Too much below there and the ESC gets warmer and has to "waste" energy by burning off the voltage rather than passing it through to the motors. We essentially need to be hovering and flying around at the top half of our throttle (pitch here) curve. In a collective pitch heli, that position is easier to obtain since we can match blade pitch with throttle curve for the desired result. On the Tricopter, we are at the mercy of the props we choose.

I'm wondering if lower pitch props would give more electronic efficiency resulting in longer flight times. Just food for thought.

Tom(A)
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:29 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Hey Dave...
Yeah - I'm workin on it little by little. Added a 3rd 'shelving' layer to my setup this evening and started getting the wiring ready to run..

I agree that the battlecruiser is a better fit; but I may still try the Enterprise by shortining up the front legs a bit.

I think one thing that has me taking this REAL slow is Christmas. I have a POS for a soldering iron here. I have requested a new station and I sort of want to wait to see what Mrs Santa will bring me. I'd rather get this one done right the first time ya know One of my biggest flaws is rushing my builds. Things will fly, but I know I could tweak them better; so, I will have everything ready for after the 25th
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,027 Posts
Tom - I really like to fly with a larger prop - hovering seems like it is just floating - I did have a problem using 12x6 on my last tri - I would lose power for some reason - Like the esc was shutting down and crash - weird thing was that once I landed it would hover agian for a few minutes and do it again - But no problems on this tri so far with 12x6 - I would like to find some 12x4.7 to try - but most arepretty expensive and for quads -

Mike