Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:05 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Beware to that UBEC, keep it far from gyros, read my story here
I have gone through about 50 of those UBECs without an issue. I wonder if you got a bad one??
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:09 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,787 Posts
Dropping a wing can easily be caused by an unbalanced prop!! I did some testing today to see how much is needed to upset the tri. All I did was to get a washer that was too big for the prop shaft and screwed it down so that there was more of the washer hanging out from under the prop on one side. It is only a small thin washer but it made the copter unflyable. That is all it took.

So if you spin your motors up to the point where they are just spinning, and look carefully at the props and shafts. If you see ANY, and I mean ANY wobble, you will have issues like surging, and dropping wings, even the slide into the ground.

It is because the Gyros are vibrated so badly up the arm that it can't reset in time to bring the motor back up to speed.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
Joined May 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Beware to that UBEC, keep it far from gyros, read my story here
Cheers for that Geff, I'll rig it up so its not near any of the gyro's, you probably just saved me from my first crash! cheers mate.
vroooOOOM is offline Find More Posts by vroooOOOM
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Dropping a wing can easily be caused by an unbalanced prop!! I did some testing today to see how much is needed to upset the tri. All I did was to get a washer that was too big for the prop
It is because the Gyros are vibrated so badly up the arm that it can't reset in time to bring the motor back up to speed.

Cheers
-J
Good advice, I'm thinking of setting my gyro's up similar to these, keeping the bEC away from them and reducing any effect from arm shake.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined May 2010
61 Posts
OK this should be OK.I've not fitted the esc's yet as I'm still waiting for them to arrive from Hobbyking, using 3xHK 30-40 Amp, I've fitted the BEC just behind the Lypo pack with the Lypo pack monitor piggy back on top of the BEC.
If I've not said so, a BIG THANKS for all you guys who have helped me so far.
Last edited by vroooOOOM; Jun 20, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:43 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Yeah But not if I have to wait 4 weeks.
They (A1 .Hobby Power Model Group) ( RC Timer), have the same fast shipping options that Hobby King offers,

(me) "Your normal shipping takes 3-4 weeks to USA, do you have any faster shipping?"

(Nina) "No worries, it may take about 7-14 working days to your country.
If you need the fast delivery( EMS, DHL...), you have to pay the fast delivery fee."

I am not trying to promote their business, just dispell rumors. I am in the US so it may be different in Australia.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
Joined May 2010
61 Posts
Would I be correct in thinking I don't need to switch the posative lypo lead because I will be powering the gyro's first through the balance plug to BEC to Receiver to Gyro's

???????????????????
Last edited by vroooOOOM; Jun 20, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:46 PM
Baytown, Tx
Joined Jun 2007
316 Posts
Yes vroooOOOM you are correct. Power up your RX and gyros from the UBEC while isolating the power to the esc's until the gyros have armed.
APdude07 is offline Find More Posts by APdude07
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:02 PM
Design and fly
IL
Joined Dec 2008
240 Posts
I have to tell you during testing I haven't seen anything like that with my Tri's. I've had props with a 1/4" broken off from hitting something indoors during setup with the machine flying the same. I never see any vibration at any point. One thing that will happen you will be replacing the upper bearing which is a 5 minute fix if you don't run good props. On this smaller Tricopter I found APC 11X4.7 nailed if perfect with 11x3.8 consuming a few more amps with not as good results. I'm flying 450 eflite motors with eflite 20amp esc's
with a 3 cell 4200mah for about 12 minutes of flying. These things are addictive. I'm using the same setup for the frame as I ended up with pictured but going with 30 size 800kv Rimfire motors with 40 amp esc's with 10,000mah parallel battery packs. Shooting for a camera payload of 3lbs to stay airborne for 15 minutes or more.

THESE THINGS ARE A BLAST!!!
skycam4 is offline Find More Posts by skycam4
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2010
61 Posts
[QUOTE=;1
Yes vroooOOOM you are correct. Power up your RX and gyros from the UBEC while isolating the power to the esc's until the gyros have armed.[/QUOTE]

Aha I'm begining to understand, Thanks APdude07, nrxt job is to make the power harness from Lypo pack to ESC's.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:43 PM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,234 Posts
If Your (Motor) Problems Just Won't Go Away

If your (motor) problems just won't go away, here's one more thing to keep an eye on:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=370

Simon
SSM is online now Find More Posts by SSM
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:28 AM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Ilmar View Post
Hi!

I have same problem, I added camera, AUW is now ~1200g and it slides down to the right I have no control at that time. Without camera I can fly 7min. no problem...

Best regards,
-Ilmar-
Hi!

I changed my battery type to NiMH it was Li-xx and soft cut. And mesured CG to be correct.
I made one ~5minute flight not continious, but had no issue to slide down. It was little bit windy. Maybe the wind helped to cool ESC down, have to test more...
I mesured 31A at full throttle, ground test.

Best regards,
-Ilmar-

EDIT: Didnīt worked that plan, still sliding to the right and down...
I have SS card programmable ESC 18A, Towerpro 890KV motors, Telebee gyros.
Without camera it verry good flyer...
X-Ilmar is offline Find More Posts by X-Ilmar
Last edited by X-Ilmar; Jun 20, 2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:43 AM
Joined Mar 2009
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroooOOOM View Post
If I set up my Giro's like this maybe I don't have to reverse one of the fronf ones because I've done it by mounting it in th eopposite direction to the other one?
Yeh ! That's the way mine are set up. Plenty of p ics on this forum of this settup. With the right hand one facing forward you dont need reverse it.

Good on ya mate>
Cheers MIKE.
micarus is offline Find More Posts by micarus
Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:12 AM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
Trying to get an idea of my Tris efficiency. On 3S with 2410-09 motors and 10x4.7 GWS props and AUW of 995gms it pulls 9.2 amp in a hover. What sort of figures are others getting?
Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:45 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroooooom View Post
ah you mean like this?
Thanks for the help jeff.
picture not available to me?
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup