HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:10 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Hey, I am just having a brain fate over there, question, what if the motors was ran at a fixed RPM (governed mode) and use a variable pitch propellers? Would it be possible to run a higher KV motor? What are you views on this setup.

Here is an sample motor and propeller.

http://www.rchobbiesandmore.com/Elec...1-details.aspx
Can't help you with that one. Look up Dave Rains ( hope I am spelling his name right ) his name on rc groups is lemmiwinks. He has a 3d tricopter using the setup you are thinking of.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by APdude07 View Post
Hey Signguy.... I didn't see if this was asked already, but how does it handle say 10 mph wind? When I used to fly my Blade 400 heli it didn't mind the wind too much, you just had to look out for the sudden rise and drop with the gusts of wind.
10 mph wind is nothing for the tricopter. here is a video, taken a few months ago. It is a foam framed tricopter, with the same electronics in the new one ( and listed in this build ) It has a lot more drag than the new copter. The wind that day was 15 gusting to 25. Look off in the distance on the video, there is a black tarp blowing around. You can also here the wind. You won't get any good pictures in these conditions, but it will fly.

new foamanator (5 min 11 sec)

signguy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:48 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Can't help you with that one. Look up Dave Rains ( hope I am spelling his name right ) his name on rc groups is lemmiwinks. He has a 3d tricopter using the setup you are thinking of.

Bob D
Thank you, I will try to find him. If I should go this route, I will be sure to update you on the process.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:03 AM
Joined Oct 2004
399 Posts
Here's mine, I've still got to drill the holes for the rubber band retaining carbon rods (like Mikes)
flipflop is offline Find More Posts by flipflop
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:56 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hey Power

What does that aluminum channel weigh per foot? I was able to get some square aluminum tube at the sign supply place, but it was almost twice the weight of wood. 1/2" square with about a 1/16wall. The wood is 1.24oz per foot cut to 1/2X5/8" and the aluminum is just under 2 oz per foot.

at 58" total tubing wood 5.974 oz
aluminum tube 8.99 oz
3 oz is half my camera weight. I am interested in the channel your using to see if it works out weight wise.

Bob D
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:14 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
10 mph wind is nothing for the tricopter. here is a video, taken a few months ago. It is a foam framed tricopter, with the same electronics in the new one ( and listed in this build ) It has a lot more drag than the new copter. The wind that day was 15 gusting to 25. Look off in the distance on the video, there is a black tarp blowing around. You can also here the wind. You won't get any good pictures in these conditions, but it will fly.

http://www.vimeo.com/4012131

signguy
What an awesome machine. I have to start building one today!!!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:46 AM
The simplest, the better!
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Great job Mike
would you mind to post a DXf or DWG file of that CAD screen?
Thank you
PG
pdemon is offline Find More Posts by pdemon
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:50 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
With reference to the question on weight of the aluminium VS wood. I built a camera rig for my Heli some time ago. Again, i had to consider the total weight.

On the aluminium square i drilled holes along the length of the beam, and for the tri-copter purpose, i would drill along all 4 sides. You still keep a lot of structural integrity, but loose a lot of weight... and it look COOL

Looking forward to seeing your copter Mike (Power)
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:16 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenb View Post
With reference to the question on weight of the aluminium VS wood. I built a camera rig for my Heli some time ago. Again, i had to consider the total weight.

On the aluminium square i drilled holes along the length of the beam, and for the tri-copter purpose, i would drill along all 4 sides. You still keep a lot of structural integrity, but loose a lot of weight... and it look COOL

Looking forward to seeing your copter Mike (Power)
I did this same thing to try to lighten the aluminum up a bit. You are right it looks VERY cool, but the aluminum I'm using isn't very hard. And with the holes cut in the sides it bent very easily. I may try another aluminum frame, I think I'll put the wires inside the frame and run my speed controls out at the motor end of the boom.

Bob D
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:18 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
My frame...

I need to work on finishing the camera mount, but it is coming along.

Mike
Mike

That frame is tiny! Where are you going to put the battery and camera? Or is this just a trainer for you? You may have to extend the frame forward for balance.

Bob D
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:29 AM
Baltic States
Joined Jun 2008
474 Posts
Hello, signguy.

Don't you think that using Flymentor 3D insted of your gyros would be better?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10092
kestasxxx is offline Find More Posts by kestasxxx
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:39 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
parts you will need...

A transmitter capable of CCPM mixing, dual rates, and expo. I use an OPTIC 6 from Hitec, and an EURGLE ( imax 9, turnigy 9 ) radio available from R2hobbies $95
How many channels are required to fly this aircraft?

thanks you.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Mike

That frame is tiny! Where are you going to put the battery and camera? Or is this just a trainer for you? You may have to extend the frame forward for balance.

Bob D
The pack will be on the bottom to the rear. I have a plan for the camera mount, it will be utilizing the screws from the stand offs. I have to finalize it but it is looking extremely simple. I am trying to keep things centered tightly to keep C.G. challenges minimal. This is a "trainer" but I want to be ready when I feel up to it

As far as weight goes you are right, the aluminum is a lot heavier than your wood. I am at 8.5 oz as you see it. I figured that since Mike's earlier frame was over 10.5 oz and it did well i would try and keep it under that. I will no doubt try a wood laminate if this works out. I just like the feel and look of the aluminun

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:20 AM
Joined Mar 2007
557 Posts
Hey Mike- Have you ever seen graphite golf shafts? They are really strong and light. I found they can be had cheap by buying old clubs from the thrift stores. Usually they only get a dollar or two for the clubs, you just cut off the grip and head. The only difficulty is the shafts are tapered, so you have to figure how to work with the shape.

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1