HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:11 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
here is the "vertibird" video.

at 4:09, I had to bend the hook back while in flight. The hand catch at the end was a first too. The video was taken with the keychain cam, mounted to my sunglasses.

playing "vertibird" with the tricopter (6 min 36 sec)
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:33 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
parts you will need...



Battery X? this battery works great.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...00mAh_3S1P_20C
$14
I love this project and this will be my very next build. Question, please. Would there be any advantage to having two of these batteries wired in parallel?

thank you for this amazing build plan.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:44 PM
Brushless
cdi3d's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
2,031 Posts
Coming along nicely - I must admit this is a fast build - I build another last night - Had it flying before I went to bed - Crazy - I should have some hover training video coming soon - Wow great video - No way would I stand under mine at this point - Still tweaking settings - Awesome!!!!! Your flying skills are so good - Wow

Here is my Hover practice video -
Film by my 8 year old this time - Little Hover training - indoors - (0 min 39 sec)


Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Last edited by cdi3d; Nov 15, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:01 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
I love this project and this will be my very next build. Question, please. Would there be any advantage to having two of these batteries wired in parallel?

thank you for this amazing build plan.
the main advantage would be flight time. It would work well, and you would easily lift the extra weight.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2004
399 Posts
Signguy, you've got that one dialed in, looks like a great flyer!
flipflop is offline Find More Posts by flipflop
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2007
552 Posts
Hi Bob- Thanks for taking time to detail a build. Its a big help. I too have ordered parts, but am planning to build a larger version to hopefully carry a Canon G9. I hope my effort flies half as good as yours!

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:04 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Coming along nicely - I must admit this is a fast build - I build another last night - Had it flying before I went to bed - Crazy - I should have some hover training video coming soon - Wow great video - No way would I stand under mine at this point - Still tweaking settings - Awesome!!!!! Your flying skills are so good - Wow

Here is my Hover practice video - http://www.vimeo.com/7631508

Mike
Your hovering is great! Now the forward flight
I used to put a fin on a tube behind the rear motor to help with orientation. You will quickly, not need it, but it helps at first.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2007
552 Posts
Hey Bob- I noticed you have one orange prop on the yaw motor. Is that to help with orientation?

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:08 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocontrol1 View Post
Hi Bob- Thanks for taking time to detail a build. Its a big help. I too have ordered parts, but am planning to build a larger version to hopefully carry a Canon G9. I hope my effort flies half as good as yours!

Rob D.
According to the specs, the Canon C9 Weight is: 11.3 oz / 320.3 Grams, how much larger would the Tricopter have to be?
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:09 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocontrol1 View Post
Hey Bob- I noticed you have one orange prop on the yaw motor. Is that to help with orientation?

Rob D.
I had a black prop back there, but I couldn't get it to track ( the blades were running in a different plane from each other) So I put on an orange one. It does help. It is actually better to have all orange, it is easier to see.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Canadian Geek's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
4,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Coming along nicely - I must admit this is a fast build - I build another last night - Had it flying before I went to bed - Crazy - I should have some hover training video coming soon - Wow great video - No way would I stand under mine at this point - Still tweaking settings - Awesome!!!!! Your flying skills are so good - Wow

Mike
Mike, if mine hovers as good as yours I will be very happy.

I should have the yaw mount finished tonight. I drilled 1/4" hole into the end of the 5/8 wood dowel and epoxied an arrow shaft into it. I've made the mount and am waiting for some glue to dry. The build was so easy I may go build a second one for spare parts in case of a crash.

Bob, did you paint your arms or are they covered with some fluorescent material?


- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:47 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
Mike, if mine hovers as good as yours I will be very happy.

I should have the yaw mount finished tonight. I drilled 1/4" hole into the end of the 5/8 wood dowel and epoxied an arrow shaft into it. I've made the mount and am waiting for some glue to dry. The build was so easy I may go build a second one for spare parts in case of a crash.

Bob, did you paint your arms or are they covered with some fluorescent material?


- Jeff
I am a signguy, so the arms are covered in vinyl sign material. You could paint them just as easily. I do paint everything black first, then cover in vinyl. This is almost the same as monokote trim sheets. Maybe I'll make some available........

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2007
552 Posts
My G9 with battery and mini servo shutter trigger is 386g. Add a video tx with small battery and I'm looking 16-18oz. I think the published weight is without battery and trim ring. Maybe its worth rigging a power feed off the main battery.

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:58 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,662 Posts
Hey, I am just having a brain fate over there, question, what if the motors was ran at a fixed RPM (governed mode) and use a variable pitch propellers? Would it be possible to run a higher KV motor? What are you views on this setup.

Here is an sample motor and propeller.



http://www.rchobbiesandmore.com/Elec...1-details.aspx
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:08 PM
Registered User
APdude07's Avatar
Baytown, Tx
Joined Jun 2007
316 Posts
Hey Signguy.... I didn't see if this was asked already, but how does it handle say 10 mph wind? When I used to fly my Blade 400 heli it didn't mind the wind too much, you just had to look out for the sudden rise and drop with the gusts of wind.
APdude07 is online now Find More Posts by APdude07
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Yet another tricopter build. !!Updated parts list!! SebastianJ Multirotor Talk 2669 Dec 30, 2011 05:48 PM
Discussion What to do? Failed tricopter build! Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 9 Mar 07, 2011 09:20 AM
Discussion Tricopter Build Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 21 Feb 20, 2010 08:24 PM
Build Log Tricopter build SebastianJ VTOLs 1 Dec 22, 2008 04:34 PM
Discussion Trying to build a mechanically actuated tricopter, Help! stefalo Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jan 09, 2008 04:10 PM