SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:31 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,058 Posts
Bob - I will post my dx7 setting asap. I have been playing around with a crashable frame. That easily interchanges with my g10 model. I am tired of babysitting that thing any just need to fly.

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:00 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
Bob,

thanks for starting this thread, a pile of condensed info in one spot

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:13 AM
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Oct 2000
617 Posts
Here is a link with information to set up a Spektrum DX6i for a standard helicopter.
http://www.heliguy.com/Forum/viewtopic,p,163582.html

-Bob
Bob Chiang is offline Find More Posts by Bob Chiang
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:19 AM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
signguy, thanks for taking the time and effort to make this thread. I'm sure there will be a lot of Tricopters buzzing around by the first of the year (or at least by Spring) because of it. It is people like you that help make RC such a great hobby.
Dave
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:30 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,058 Posts
The only real difference with the dx7 TX is that the expo values are positive to make things less sensitive around mid stick - I am using all of Bob's settings except for making the expo positive where he has negative - Great thead Bob -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:43 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Puttin' on the camera

I like to have my camera well protected. Its not an expensive camera, but it is when you consider my budget.

The camera holder itself is the same used on my planes. It is a cylinder of foam ( dow blue insulation ) with a negative space for the camera, and a servo burried inside.

The mount to hold it to the copter is just a piece of foam ( stiff furniture cushion) rubber banded to the tri. The camera is then banded to the foam. This is a great mount to limit vibration from getting to the camera. It also [places the cam on top, protecting it even better.

I am also including some pictures of the landing gear mount. This bolts to the tri, using the same bolts that mount the arms. It is just carbon tube, and aluminum arrow glued together with gorilla glue ( I should have used JB weld)

This mount allows you to take straight down video, witch looks cool when climbing straight up!

When the cam is in the top mount, the battery is moved to the center top between the electronics. When the cam is on the LG mount, the battery stays in the front position.

The tri's will fly tail heavy, or nose heavy, but they fly best balanced directly in the center.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
Well, my parts are ordered. Now to just start building the frame while I wait for the parts to arrive.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
Well, my parts are ordered. Now to just start building the frame while I wait for the parts to arrive.

- Jeff
Don't start too early, it shouldn't take too long!

Bob D
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
Well I just did a quick inventory of what I have in my scraps bin. Loo and behold I've got some 5/8" square dowels. These should work for the arms. Lots of plywood for the frame so I guess the hard work will be the yaw pivot. I'll post pictures as I go along. I've also got an Askman TREX 450 landing gear/camera mount that I've never used. (Until now! ) I should be able to use this.

I also have a Futaba GY401 gyro. Do you think I use that for the yaw gyro?

- Jeff
Old Nov 15, 2009, 01:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Don't start too early, it shouldn't take too long!

Bob D

Yes but it is Sunday. My building day! During the week I don't get lots of time in the shop. Not with the kids karate etc.

- Jeff
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:06 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
After reading through the Tricopter threads and looking at all the cool frames. I burned the midnight oil last night and designed my own folding frame. It utilizes aluminum 3/8 X 1/2 "U" channel from menards for the arms and a laminated ply center. I have all the parts ready for assembly. I will post some pics later.

This stuff is cool

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:20 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Damnit, damnit Bob!!! I was saving for an OSD

Hobby City here I come. Got some ply and spruce somewhere...
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Nov 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
Damnit, damnit Bob!!! I was saving for an OSD

Hobby City here I come. Got some ply and spruce somewhere...
You don't need no stinkin' OSD !!

You will have a blast!
I just came in from flying, I did a little "vertibird" flying. I made a "capsule" from foam, with a 7-8" loop on top. A hook on the copter to pick it up. Its not easy! took lots of tries. I cut up the video, but its still long. I'll post it as soon as it converts in WMM, and is up on vimeo.

Tricopter, its not just for picture takin'!
Bob D
Old Nov 15, 2009, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
I've built the frame and added the arms. See pictures below. Next to build the motor mounts and pivot.

- Jeff
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
I've built the frame and added the arms. See pictures below. Next to build the motor mounts and pivot.

- Jeff
That was quick! Looks just like mine
Now the long wait for equipment..........