HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2010, 04:24 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Just got one of these last week. It works great! Here is the thread on RCGroups.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162250
Everyone who owns one gives positive feedback on the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
Someone a few page back, Said that they want to start with cheap FPV gear, Here a start.

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/av-wirel...o-p-15758.html
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2010, 04:24 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTom View Post
Did you call Greg?
Well DUH! Had to let him know what I accomplished in one short week!

Bob - gotta admit, my skill set lies in wood too so this will likely be a MUCH easier build. But I will compare the two when done and report.
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Feb 05, 2010, 05:24 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Nice vids @both Gents
@ Mongrel,
Did you do any post processing anti-shake, or slow the frame rate? The video looks nice and clear. What setup are you using (antenna/DVR) to save the downlink?
Cheers,
Jim
Are you talking about my FPV Tricopter Video?

No anti shake or post processing. That is straight out of the camera.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2010, 07:02 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
OK guys.....maidened the Tri today.... all by myself! It's still all over the map (compared to say Bob or Mongrel) but I did manage to get in several long hovers, a couple of recoveries, a couple of near recoveries, and several batteries worth. Now I'm off to Loew's to get some poplar for #2!
Ok... Ok... Gene... Talk is cheap...Where is the video?
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Feb 05, 2010, 07:10 PM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterysIncluded View Post
Just got one of these last week. It works great! Here is the thread on RCGroups.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162250
Everyone who owns one gives positive feedback on the unit.
What kind of range are you getting, And whats your set up?
Dennis H. is offline Find More Posts by Dennis H.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:01 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Ok... Ok... Gene... Talk is cheap...Where is the video?
hehehe... I KNEW that was coming. I'll try to get one up here but I don't have either a Vimeo or a YouTube account set up. I will have to admit you guys were right. Getting it off the wire (after some practice) was a good move. I was really surprised at how steady I could keep her at the hover. Not to say that I don't have concentrate like all getout to hold it there, and there were certainly a few "OH " moments today. Still not even doing "nose in", happy with "nose out" for right now. Not even flying anywhere, just hovering......
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:45 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
hehehe... I KNEW that was coming. I'll try to get one up here but I don't have either a Vimeo or a YouTube account set up. I will have to admit you guys were right. Getting it off the wire (after some practice) was a good move. I was really surprised at how steady I could keep her at the hover. Not to say that I don't have concentrate like all getout to hold it there, and there were certainly a few "OH " moments today. Still not even doing "nose in", happy with "nose out" for right now. Not even flying anywhere, just hovering......
Its like that for a while Gene. Just hovering makes you sweat. I have just got to the point where I have been with planes for almost 30 years. I can fly without thinking about which way the thing is going. The only thing I still have trouble with is flying backwards.
Now just think of how much those "OH " would have cost if it were a T-Rex 450 or 500!! Any slight mishap causes major damage, and hours of setup time.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:55 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Now just think of how much those "OH " would have cost if it were a T-Rex 450 or 500!! Any slight mishap causes major damage, and hours of setup time.

I can testify to that. Wow, my 450 has been under repair far longer then it has been in the air.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:58 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,029 Posts
With all this talk of FPV - What is a good cheap FPV camera is there is such a thing? I already have the downlink for my camera would like to be able to use it with the gopro but looks like that is out for a while?

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Feb 05, 2010, 09:29 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
What kind of range are you getting, And whats your set up?
I don't want to wander from the subject of this thread by starting a discussion about FPV where it does not belong. If you read through the bestofferbuy thread here on RCGroups you will see several different setups using the Fox 700 tx/rx and several discussions on range. I use mine for AP to setup and help frame shots. I use the video out on my Lumix FX-37 and use either Easycap with a laptop or a portable tv with composite inputs to view what the camera is seeing.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:38 PM
San Jose CA.
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Do I need to set the front right motor CW, front left motor CCW and the rudder motor CW? What about the way to put the prop into to motor? Thanks.
tbee is offline Find More Posts by tbee
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:02 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Bob How short do you guess the arms can be shorten now using the 401b in digital mode?
Hi Rev

Without testing it I don't know... I would think you could get a flyable machine at 12" arm length. I was doing tris this small and smaller with GWS pg-03's. There not going to fly like the 18" and 20" tri's.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:12 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Yup, I figured that one out a loooong time ago! Heck, I stayed away from helis when I was flying full size. Like you, I've been flying planes for donkey's years, and can almost fly one of my wings with my eyes closed, this is just a different skill set. Heck the only reason I decided to try the Tri is because it didn't LOOK like a helicopter!

As for tbee's question..... I've noticed the odd little "list" to the left that everyone is talking about while hovering/flying. Obviously torque induced, and I've heard some talk of counter rotating one motor. I'm sure several have already tried it but I haven't heard the verdict as to whether it's worth it or not......

To the prop question, the GWS props will almost thread down on the HK motor shaft, might have to ream it a little - then get a 4mm Nylock nut on it to cinch it down.
Old Feb 06, 2010, 02:12 AM
San Jose CA.
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Hi All,
Based on this graph, do I have to use two different type of prop for the front left and right? Or can I use the same type of prop and switch the wires to set the rotation of the prop? Thanks.
tbee is offline Find More Posts by tbee
Last edited by tbee; Mar 04, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2010, 03:11 AM
RC Wannabe!
vercelli, ITALY
Joined Dec 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbee View Post
Hi All,
Based on this graph, do I have to use two different type of prop for the front left and right? Or can I use the same type of prop and switch the wires to set the rotation of the prop? Thanks.
counter rotating motor means counter rotating prop... a prop that just rotate the opposite way it's supposed won't work. anyway bob's tri does not have ccw motors
areis81 is offline Find More Posts by areis81