Nice work!
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
530 Posts
impressive techspy!

the tri is really stable and/or you're a great pilot!

is your tri the same stock parts as signguy Bob's?
CoastalTom is online now Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:30 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
Thanks. No, I am not that great of a pilot. It is just very stable. The thin/rounded body design helps fight the wind influence. You can see the flags/trees in that video showing a pretty strong wind.

I am using the 750kv motors from HC, 4 telebee HH gyros (in rate mode for the booms, HH for yaw) from HC, HC SS Series 25-30A ESC's and 11x4.7 props.

Using 120 swashplate mixing in the TX
All props rotating the same way. I have the front 2 motors tilted slightly to counteract the torque, which also keeps the craft level in hover as opposed to a slight tilt.

A couple lessons I learned while trying to get it right. Some esc's aren't fast enough to keep up with the gyro inputs. The 2 biggest issues I found however were that a motor with too high of a KV does not have the resolution to make the small rpm changes that are needed. Also, you need very light props with less pitch to be able to make quick/small changes in thrust.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Nov 24, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Thanks. No, I am not that great of a pilot. It is just very stable. The thin/rounded body design helps fight the wind influence. You can see the flags/trees in that video showing a pretty strong wind.

I am using the 750kv motors from HC, 4 telebee HH gyros (in rate mode for the booms, HH for yaw) from HC, HC SS Series 25-30A ESC's and 11x4.7 props.

Using 120 swashplate mixing in the TX
All props rotating the same way. I have the front 2 motors tilted slightly to counteract the torque, which also keeps the craft level in hover as opposed to a slight tilt.

A couple lessons I learned while trying to get it right. Some esc's aren't fast enough to keep up with the gyro inputs. The 2 biggest issues I found however were that a motor with too high of a KV does not have the resolution to make the small rpm changes that are needed. Also, you need very light props with less pitch to be able to make quick/small changes in thrust.
thank you for sharing this very valuable information.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Definatly good info there!! Thx!
What direction are you tilting the front two motors to counter the torque and keep a level hover?
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:06 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
No prob. I can't remember which way, just experiment. With all props spinning the same way, the yaw motor can counteract it with a bit of tilt. The problem is that with a constant tilt in hover, it causes the whole craft to tilt a bit. Tilting the front motors just a tad counteracts this.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:39 AM
France
Joined Nov 2008
77 Posts
Foam Tricopter proto 1

Here is my first tricopter.(design rights go to Signguy "the foaminator")

It's foam and tape,the arms are 50 cm (20") and UAW is 1 200 g ( 40 oz)

3 brushless easymodel 2830 (100 kv)
3 esc easymodel 25 A

3 gyros assan Ga 410
1 gyro Esky (the famous)

1 servo 12 g (metal and bearing)

Transmiter futaba T7C, receiver R617FS

Swashmix : HR3

Ail 50%
Elev 45%
Pitch 50%

Expo : 35%

Special Thanks to Sebastian and Signguy
lebrett is offline Find More Posts by lebrett
Last edited by lebrett; Nov 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
Thought I would put up a couple pics showing my headway. I have the main wiring harness together and connected to the 3 speed controls with motor wire extensions added. I will start on the gyro gain hookup connectors next. The ubec and yaw gyro are just sitting on the base, not mounted yet. Waiting on the motors and gyros from HC to get everything situated.
Dave
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Last edited by Dave Barrow; Aug 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:17 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
techspy, great video. If your not a great pilot (which is hard to believe from this video) it sure makes you look that way. I was amazed at how steady it was in that amount of wind. Did you just leave the yaw Telebee gyro gain wire disconnected to have it in HH while the others are in rate?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:17 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
Thought I would put up a couple pics showing my headway. I have the main wiring harness together and connected to the 3 speed controls with motor wire extensions added. I will start on the gyro gain hookup connectors next. The ubec and yaw gyro are just sitting on the base, not mounted yet. Waiting on the motors and gyros from HC to get everything situated.
Dave
That all looks good to me. I would love to see a local "outlet" for Hobby city open nearby!! I don't even mind the shipping, its the waiting that kills me.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:27 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
Quote:
techspy, great video. If your not a great pilot (which is hard to believe from this video) it sure makes you look that way. I was amazed at how steady it was in that amount of wind. Did you just leave the yaw Telebee gyro gain wire disconnected to have it in HH while the others are in rate?
Yep, just leave the yaw gain wire disconnected. I have the other 3 connected together on a channel so I can change the gain via the TX. I have the gain almost all the way up.

I started building a tricopter after playing around with the X-UFO. As bad of a piece of crap that was, I did have some fun flying it before it broke. I tried a heli many hears ago but never could fly it and ended up destroying it. I thought it was just too difficult to learn but in reality it was not setup correctly. So I started building a Tri-copter thinking it would be easier. I had many failures with the tri-copter mainly because of the wrong components but still flew it without any heli experience to start with. I have several helis now after "learning" on the tri-copter. A well designed tricopter will almost fly itself, you just need to be able to handle the orientation issues. So I do have a little bit of flying skill but an very much still learning. I am still just practicing loops and rolls on my helis and am building a scale heli now.

To sum up, even a beginner can fly a tri-copter that has the correct components and is dialed in.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:28 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
reverendrichie, I do not think anyone here is saying you shouldn't experiment with different equipment, just that this is probably not the best place to do that. There are threads in the multi rotor forum that go into all sorts of different equipment try outs. That would be the place to post your ideas on, you will get better response from the experts that follw that thread. The people building tricopters from signguy's (Bob's) instructions here are not the ones that could have knowledgable responses you need to the questions and suggestions you pose. Posted here they tend to be confusing to those of us just getting interested in this type of flyer. I read the entire "just another tricopter build" there, and my head was spinning a lot with all the "over my head" data being spewed out. I you have not read that thread yet, please do, it was very enjoyable watching the evolvment of these. Hope you get to build the one you want and it's a great flyer. Best of luck, and I enjoyed your Edison quote.
Dave
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebrett View Post
Here is my first tricopter.(design rights go to Signguy "the foaminator")

It's foam and tape,the arms are 50 cm (20") and UAW is 1 200 g ( 40 oz)

3 brushless easymodel 2830 (100 kv)
3 esc easymodel 25 A

3 gyros assan Ga 410
1 gyro Esky (the famous)

1 servo 12 g (metal and bearing)

Transmiter futaba T7C, receiver R617FS

Swashmix : HR3

Ail 50%
Elev 45%
Pitch 50%

Expo : 35%

Special Thanks to Sebastian and Signguy

http://picasaweb.google.fr/lh/photo/...faueewiIy2OAgw
http://picasaweb.google.fr/lh/photo/...38kLzomfr7M_ew
If there is a WILL, there is a WAY

THANK YOU for sharing.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
Quote:
reverendrichie, I do not think anyone here is saying you shouldn't experiment with different equipment, just that this is probably not the best place to do that. There are threads in the multi rotor forum that go into all sorts of different equipment try outs. That would be the place to post your ideas on, you will get better response from the experts that follw that thread. The people building tricopters from signguy's (Bob's) instructions here are not the ones that could have knowledgable responses you need to the questions and suggestions you pose. Posted here they tend to be confusing to those of us just getting interested in this type of flyer. I read the entire "just another tricopter build" there, and my head was spinning a lot with all the "over my head" data being spewed out. I you have not read that thread yet, please do, it was very enjoyable watching the evolvment of these. Hope you get to build the one you want and it's a great flyer. Best of luck, and I enjoyed your Edison quote.
Dave

Here is the deal in my opinion, this THREAD is posted in the AERIAL Photography and that to me, indicates, this is trying to create a aerail platform for photography. Now if this was SUPPOSE TO BE A BEGINNER Tricopter thread, WHY IS IT POSTED HERE?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 01:02 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Here is the deal in my opinion, this THREAD is posted in the AERIAL Photography and that to me, indicates, this is trying to create a aerail platform for photography. Now if this was SUPPOSE TO BE A BEGINNER Tricopter thread, WHY IS IT POSTED HERE?
I thought this was Bob's build log, not a design thread. Bob's Tricopter has been successfully used for AP also. He is now sharing it with all those of us wishing to build and fly one like his.
Bob, sorry for the intrusion, I will shut up about this and get back to my copy of your build.
Dave