HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:39 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
Hey Bob
is the rear arm 18 inches to allow for the yaw mech and put the prop shaft at 20 inches? What I'm asking is are all three motors at the same distance from the centre or is the rear one two inches closer?
All three at the same distance measured at the prop shaft is correct.
Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:41 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
And while we're all asking questions, aproximately how many degrees does the rear motor need to be able to tilt (total) and on the initial setup should it it be tilted a couple of degrees to the right (viewed from the rear)? I know there are a lot of variables here: prop size, motor kv, radio setup, speed controls, gyros, etc. Just trying to cut down on the experimenting time
Move the rear motor as much as possible. It will lean to the right when at neutral. I always try to get lots of movement, my copter spins like a top!.

Bob D
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:45 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois View Post
signguy, i have been following your thread...and i have a cnc machine called a phlatprinter, and was wondering if you thought a foam frame would work...besides the details of the yaw movable motor, and structural bracing, i was wondering what you thought about this concept cut from foam? the gyros fit in 3 pockets aligned to the legs. also the motor mount area is on the same line as the top of the gyro plate. do you think foam would work? thank you for any input you can suggest. randy.
I think that looks cool, but foam, no way. You would need 1/8" light ply at minimum. The other thing, I have seen many frames like this on quads, it has to limit the copters ability to fly in the wind. Being so draggy is going to make holding a position, even in a breeze, difficult. The yaw mechanism is another problem ( not for the quad guys)

Bob D
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:59 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Last edited by rjarois; Nov 23, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:06 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
fellas, thanks for the feedback regarding the foam frame. bob i will follow your thread with interest. the tri-copter makes more sense than the quad to me. nice build bob. randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
All three at the same distance measured at the prop shaft is correct.
Bob D
how critical is this? If I'm off - ???

Have you tried making the arms longer? If I go to 24"-30" other than increasing weight it should still work correct?
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:00 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Why use a $179 system that is not proven on a tricopter, when you can get the gyros you need for around $120?

Bob D
Hi Bob,

I appreciate your viewpoint and your objective is to make it a low cost and simple tricopter solution. And yes I agree that simple and cheap is good.
I was just thinking out loud about the possibilities.

And what interests me is all these systems were originally made for flybarless helis and it is possible to use it to stabilize a tricopter for aerial photopgraphy. It still requires some technical understanding and "trickery" to adapt it. Anyway I'm not a technical person, not up to that level, so if I build a tricopter I'll stick with your simple solution.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:06 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Hi Bob,

Anyway I'm not a technical person, not up to that level, so if I build a tricopter I'll stick with your simple solution.
I am in the same situation as you, I have yet to build my first tricopter and believe in the KISS principle however someone did allot of dreaming plus trial and error to get the design to this stage.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:08 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
Hiya Bob, how's it going? Cool thread, just stumbled here the other day, keep it up buddy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=921

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=932

Save yourself the time and money, don't even think about trying the GU365.

I had an AP2000i tricopter as well, there's a secret trick to make it work with ESC's, let me know if you wanna know.

Sebastian.
Thanks Sebastian.
Now we know the GU365 is not suitable.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:20 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
how critical is this? If I'm off - ???

Have you tried making the arms longer? If I go to 24"-30" other than increasing weight it should still work correct?
The longest arms I have tried were 24" ( prop shaft to center ) The copter I fly now is 20", and I just finished a lil' tri that is 12.5" radius. The larger one is easier to setup. I can have the gyros turned way up on the 20" , while the 12.5" copter is very critical, and will flip itself over if the gyros are set too high. I built the small one for fun/aerobatics. I will try some lifting with it just for fun.
I don't know if going much larger than 20-24" will be any better, but if it doesn't work you can always chop the arms back a couple inches.

Bob D
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:38 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if going much larger than 20-24" will be any better, but if it doesn't work you can always chop the arms back a couple inches.

Bob D
See??? There's proof positive that there is no such thing as a stupid question! LOL

All I can say to this is .... DUHHHhhhhh why didn't I think of that?!?!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
See??? There's proof positive that there is no such thing as a stupid question! LOL

All I can say to this is .... DUHHHhhhhh why didn't I think of that?!?!
I call that TRAIL AND ERROR. lol
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
I this is my all time favorite quote: I will not say I failed 1000 times, I will say that I discovered 1000 ways that can cause failure. ~Thomas Alva Edison~
Old Nov 24, 2009, 01:20 AM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
I this is my all time favorite quote: I will not say I failed 1000 times, I will say that I discovered 1000 ways that can cause failure. ~Thomas Alva Edison~
Oh, so that's what I've been doing. I knew I was on the right track!
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:45 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I made mine pretty large. It is very stable and can carry a lot. With 2 3s 2200 batteries on board it can still lift a standard hammer with plenty of power left over. It is about 24" from prop to center.

I want to try some fpv with it but want an auto leveling system first. Sure would like to know the secret to having the AP2000i work with it.

TriCopter dialed in (6 min 17 sec)
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga