HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:49 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
Mongrel, don't forget that the servo reversing function on whichever channel you use will make the gyro setting work the opposite way round. (e.g. 75% becomes 25% and 10% becomes 90%)

Ad
Good point!! Mine is set to normal. The only channel reversed is Rudder on my radio.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:13 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Hmm, On my DX6i I use channel 5 and use between 15% and 25%, 15% being the higher gain and more twitchy of the 2. Flies great and throttles up fine and has done for a year now. The channel is not reversed, so where would those setting fit into your theory of rate and HH?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
ACF55 et al,
I did some playing with the DX7 and gyro settings this afternoon and here are my findings..................
Cheers
-J
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
Hmm, On my DX6i I use channel 5 and use between 15% and 25%, 15% being the higher gain and more twitchy of the 2. Flies great and throttles up fine and has done for a year now. The channel is not reversed, so where would those setting fit into your theory of rate and HH?
Well presuming the Dx7 and the Dx6 program the same, then you would be in RATE mode.

Try and raise the gain above 50% and see what happens. You will probably need between 70% and 80% to get it working in HH.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:44 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
I will, Its confusing isnt it!
Quote:
Well presuming the Dx7 and the Dx6 program the same, then you would be in RATE mode.

Try and raise the gain above 50% and see what happens. You will probably need between 70% and 80% to get it working in HH.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Quote:
I will, Its confusing isnt it!
ehehe Mate - it has been driving me NUTS!!! But I think I am on top of it now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:00 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Right then I programmed my channel 5 to go to the gyro switch, position 0 was 20% - which is 80% gain in rate mode (or is that actually 90% because rate mode runs from 0-50%)
position 1 I set to 80% - which is 80% gain in HH mode (or is that actually 90% because rate mode runs from 50-100%)

Anyway it flies similarly in both hh and rate mode, but I think Rate Mode is more stable and easier to control. HH mode throttles up later than in rate mode but that could easily be changed in subtrim or something..
My conclusion is that rate mode is more stable I think

Quote:
ehehe Mate - it has been driving me NUTS!!! But I think I am on top of it now.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Quote:
Right then I programmed my channel 5 to go to the gyro switch, position 0 was 20% - which is 80% gain in rate mode (or is that actually 90% because rate mode runs from 0-50%)
position 1 I set to 80% - which is 80% gain in HH mode (or is that actually 90% because rate mode runs from 50-100%)

Anyway it flies similarly in both hh and rate mode, but I think Rate Mode is more stable and easier to control. HH mode throttles up later than in rate mode but that could easily be changed in subtrim or something..
My conclusion is that rate mode is more stable I think
Yep - I don't try and convert what 80% actually represents as a percentage of the gain level.

I am not certain, but I think when you use the GEAR end points, the closer to 50% you get, the more RATE gain you are using.

Did you notice that when it RATE mode, as soon as the motors start spinning, they take off by themselves and get the copter in the air??
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 05:32 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Cant say I noticed that but then I have set up the throttle using rate mode gyro setting, and when I tried in HH mode I as was at 25% throttle before the motors started. When I flick between 20 and 25% in rate mode I notice the is a definate change in overall motor speed which is related to gyro gain.
Quote:
Did you notice that when it RATE mode, as soon as the motors start spinning, they take off by themselves and get the copter in the air??
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:44 AM
Grenoble-France
Joined Sep 2007
67 Posts
How to know gyro in HH or Std mode

hi tri-family,
i think that is better and more secure to do the test just with your radio,gyro and a servo without the tricopter.
Plug the servo to the gyro, gyro to the receiver (on the yaw channel for exemple), gain-wire from gyro to the receiver, on the channel which set the gain. Switch-on and wait for gyro to init (blue light on Telebee).
Set the gain to any value, move and release the yaw stick on your radio (if the servo is plugged to the yaw channel) if the servo come back to neutral that means you are in STD mode, in HH-mode the servo do not go back to neutral.
Hope that help... sorry for my english and it is easier to do than to explain.
momozzzz is offline Find More Posts by momozzzz
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:49 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by momozzzz View Post
hi tri-family,
i think that is better and more secure to do the test just with your radio,gyro and a servo without the tricopter.
Plug the servo to the gyro, gyro to the receiver (on the yaw channel for exemple), gain-wire from gyro to the receiver, on the channel which set the gain. Switch-on and wait for gyro to init (blue light on Telebee).
Set the gain to any value, move and release the yaw stick on your radio (if the servo is plugged to the yaw channel) if the servo come back to neutral that means you are in STD mode, in HH-mode the servo do not go back to neutral.
Hope that help... sorry for my english and it is easier to do than to explain.

Hmmm Ok... so what you are saying... when flying, if I were in HH mode and pushed the AIL stick to go left, it will keep going left?? Because mine does not do that!! When I let go of the stick the chopter will stop moving left and just hover.

I will see if I can get some time tomorrow to test that.

Thanks for the tip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:02 AM
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
I just confirmed with the guys in the Heli thread that when using a DX7 - anything above 50% is in fact HEADING HOLD.
It depends on the gyro. At least CSM SL720 has it backwards: anything under 50% is HH, anything above it is rate. Moving from 50% towards 0% increases the HH gain. I run my T-Rex 500 ESP at 8% (DX7 gyro menu).
Trnquill is offline Find More Posts by Trnquill
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:07 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
I am using the Turnigy ones - I think they are rebranded Telebee

Umm... What indicator?? Do you mean the blue light on the Gyro. They are constantly lit.
The blue light is always on solid when the gyros are ready HH or rate. If you were in HH the tricopter would be almost uncontrolable. The throttles would be increasing randomly without much stick input. If it is flyable, you ARE in rate mode.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:21 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm Ok... so what you are saying... when flying, if I were in HH mode and pushed the AIL stick to go left, it will keep going left?? Because mine does not do that!! When I let go of the stick the chopter will stop moving left and just hover.

I will see if I can get some time tomorrow to test that.

Thanks for the tip.
Hi Mongrel

The tricopter will not keep going left when you push the stick left in HH, BUT it will keep increasing throttle, with the throttle stick held still. In HH mode the tri will lift off at say 40%throttle stick, then without moving the throttle, the motors will "ramp up" to a higher speed. When you lower the stick, it will respond the same. Very little response at first, then a rapid lowering of throttle without ANY stick movement.

Your explanation below is reversed.....

When set to RATE mode, it is a completely different animal. The first thing you will notice is a drastic change in throttle behaviour. In HH mode you power up and get the props spinning and then as you increase the throttle, the copter will lift off the ground. HOWEVER, when it RATE mode, as SOON as the props start spinning they will spin up and the copter will lift of the ground WITHOUT moving the stick one bit!! It sort of like the props wait until you have given enough throttle to get it off the ground before they start spinning. It is quite scary at first, but is actually pretty cool.

The HH in the above quote is actually RATE mode. The tri is dangerous to fly in HH mode. It might be fun for a short while, but it will put you in the ground HARD. Run in rate, up the gains till you see some oscillations in the arms, turn the gain back a point or 2 to stop the oscillation, and that is the best setting at that weight. Up the weight, re-do the settings.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:28 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
OK.. a bit more hovering today. I still need to chase the vibes a bit since it still vibrates but at least its flyable. All I can say for now... This thing definitely does not hover itself. Constant inputs to keep it level are required. However, I'm attempting to hove it in the house in an area of about 25 square feet..in between furniture so I do not have a really good idea about its flight characteristics. So far it does not seem to be self leveling at all like the Eflite Blade MCX nor even the Blade MSR... Then again, they are miniature choppers so flying them inside the house gives a lot more room for error and perhaps that is why they feel a lot more stable.... The pucker factor is a lot lower...
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:35 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
OK.. a bit more hovering today. I still need to chase the vibes a bit since it still vibrates but at least its flyable. All I can say for now... This thing definitely does not hover itself. Constant inputs to keep it level are required. However, I'm attempting to hove it in the house in an area of about 25 square feet..in between furniture so I do not have a really good idea about its flight characteristics. So far it does not seem to be self leveling at all like the Eflite Blade MCX nor even the Blade MSR... Then again, they are miniature choppers so flying them inside the house gives a lot more room for error and perhaps that is why they feel a lot more stable.... The pucker factor is a lot lower...
If you're hovering indoors with all that power on three props in between furniture it sounds pretty impressive to me!
matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!