HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
Flying with the eagles
etman's Avatar
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Sigh, I flew my tri yesterday and it was wild and uncontrollable.
It was slightly windy though.
Sorry, I'm losing my confidence in this thing to take up my camera.

I'm going to lose the dihedral of the motors, back to the normal position.
Also getting rid of those hoola hoops. They seem to affect the flight in a strong wind.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Sigh, I flew my tri yesterday and it was wild and uncontrollable.
It was slightly windy though.
Sorry, I'm losing my confidence in this thing to take up my camera.

I'm going to lose the dihedral of the motors, back to the normal position.
Also getting rid of those hoola hoops. They seem to affect the flight in a strong wind.
Those hula hoops are a lot of drag way out there on the end of the arms. I personally don't like dihedral either. It tends to make the tri "floaty" Be careful, when you take the hoops off, your gyro gain will most likely be much too high for the lighter frame.

How windy was it? I have flown in 35mph gust ( without the camera ) just to see if it could be done, It can!

You could replace the hoops with a single, or multiple joined pieces of 3mm carbon or glass fiber rod looped all around then joined at the ends. It would be much lighter.
Don't give up, it is a stable platform for a camera.


Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:26 PM
Flying with the eagles
etman's Avatar
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Those hula hoops are a lot of drag way out there on the end of the arms. I personally don't like dihedral either. It tends to make the tri "floaty" Be careful, when you take the hoops off, your gyro gain will most likely be much too high for the lighter frame.

How windy was it? I have flown in 35mph gust ( without the camera ) just to see if it could be done, It can!

You could replace the hoops with a single, or multiple joined pieces of 3mm carbon or glass fiber rod looped all around then joined at the ends. It would be much lighter.
Don't give up, it is a stable platform for a camera.


Bob D
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep tweaking it until it is stable and flyable.

I don't know how strong the wind was, what I know is the leaves on the trees were swaying at ground level and I had to hold a forward stick halfway to go against it or the tri will move backwards.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep tweaking it until it is stable and flyable.

I don't know how strong the wind was, what I know is the leaves on the trees were swaying at ground level and I had to hold a forward stick halfway to go against it or the tri will move backwards.
I've never had to use that much forward stick with the wood copter. I did have a very draggy foam frame that was difficult in the wind. You may need higher rates, and more expo. That way you can have lots of throw with a softer feel at the center ( you probably already know this....)
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:42 PM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
This just maybe a coincident but what I learned that if the Y-form is not 120 degrees dead nuts on, the COG will change. If the two forward arms are more to the rear a few degrees, the copter will become nose heavy.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:09 AM
Registered User
tbee's Avatar
San Jose CA.
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
The parts for my Tri from HK has arrived today. I has been out of town and can't wait to start building. I ordered on 01/20 and get the parts on 01/25. It is very impressive isn't it? Two thumbs up for HK
tbee is offline Find More Posts by tbee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:36 AM
Registered User
Talontsi96's Avatar
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Some progress update on my tri-build. I picked ups some 7/16" aluminum tubing and some 3/8" CF tube. The CF tube fits perfectly inside the aluminum tube. The aluminum was cut to short pieces and drilled near the end for the pivot screws to go through. The CF tube was inserted into the aluminum tube such that the end of the CF tube was close to the drilled out portion of the aluminum but not too close. The two tubes were glued together so that they would not rotate axially. The power wires for the motors were pulled through the tubes such that they are completely enclosed.

After all was done the Tri looks great... no spaghetti type wires on the booms. I will work on a canopy to hide the spaghetti on the center portion. Everything folds nicely and retracts.

I fired her up after testing different orientations and watching if the appropriate motors were responding. I only hopped it and maybe hovered it about an inch or two off the ground for a couple of seconds at a time. I do not have a big area to try to fly it and was just waiting for the wife to come down with a frying pan and let me have it for trying to fly the thing in the family room in the middle of the night when she's sleeping. ... In any event the thing flies... from the limited try so far I can say its extremely responsive... At the height that I tired to hover it there was massive ground effect so I can not tell how it hovers just yet as there was typical ground effect drifting present.. but I must say..success so far...

Thank you for the great thread and thanks so much to all that helped me get to where I am so far..

here are some pics of it...
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Last edited by Talontsi96; Jan 26, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:46 AM
Flying with the eagles
etman's Avatar
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
I came across a twin motor plane discussion that was advised not to plug in both power leads to the RX or it will "overload". The red wire was advised to be taken out.

In our tricopters, there are three ESC leads each going into a gyro and then to the receiver. When we power the gyros and RX by the BEC, do we have to isolate the red and black wires that come from these ESC leads? What will happen if we don't?
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:43 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
The_Mongrel's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,748 Posts
ETMAN - I have a couple of twins, and I have never removed the red wire from my to ESCs. I have simply connected them with a Y-Harness. When you think bout it, both ESCs in parallel are putting out 5V. 5V is 5V. However, I am using a BEC on the tri, and the wiring diagram I followed stated to pull them out. So I did.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:58 AM
Flying with the eagles
etman's Avatar
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
ETMAN - I have a couple of twins, and I have never removed the red wire from my to ESCs. I have simply connected them with a Y-Harness. When you think bout it, both ESCs in parallel are putting out 5V. 5V is 5V. However, I am using a BEC on the tri, and the wiring diagram I followed stated to pull them out. So I did.
I will pull them out. It could be one of reasons for the instability. If power to the gyros is given a surge, erratic behaviour could result.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:05 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
The_Mongrel's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
I will pull them out. It could be one of reasons for the instability. If power to the gyros is given a surge, erratic behaviour could result.
Yep - I think the reason I pulled mine out was because each ESC in on a different channel, and is not needed to power the RX. In the twins I have, they get y harnessed and plugged in to power the RX on the Throttle channel.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:05 AM
making big holes in the sky..
Scandinavia
Joined Aug 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Some progress update on my tri-build. I picked ups some 7/16" aluminum tubing and some 3/8" CF tube. The CF tube fits perfectly inside the aluminum tube. The aluminum was cut to short pieces and drilled near the end for the pivot screws to go through. The CF tube was inserted into the aluminum tube such that the end of the CF tube was close to the drilled out portion of the aluminum but not too close. The two tubes were glued together so that they would not rotate axially. The power wires for the motors were pulled through the tubes such that they are completely enclosed.

After all was done the Tri looks great... no spaghetti type wires on the booms. I will work on a canopy to hide the spaghetti on the center portion. Everything folds nicely and retracts.

I fired her up after testing different orientations and watching if the appropriate motors were responding. I only hopped it and maybe hovered it about an inch or two off the ground for a couple of seconds at a time. I do not have a big area to try to fly it and was just waiting for the wife to come down with a frying pan and let me have it for trying to fly the thing in the family room in the middle of the night when she's sleeping. ... In any event the thing flies... from the limited try so far I can say its extremely responsive... At the height that I tired to hover it there was massive ground effect so I can not tell how it hovers just yet as there was typical ground effect drifting present.. but I must say..success so far...

Thank you for the great thread and thanks so much to all that helped me get to where I am so far..

here are some pics of it...
Looks darn nice..... looking forward to some videos....
bajas is offline Find More Posts by bajas
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:30 AM
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Some progress update on my tri-build. I picked ups some 7/16" aluminum tubing and some 3/8" CF tube. The CF tube fits perfectly inside the aluminum tube. The aluminum was cut to short pieces and drilled near the end for the pivot screws to go through. The CF tube was inserted into the aluminum tube such that the end of the CF tube was close to the drilled out portion of the aluminum but not too close. The two tubes were glued together so that they would not rotate axially. The power wires for the motors were pulled through the tubes such that they are completely enclosed.

After all was done the Tri looks great... no spaghetti type wires on the booms. I will work on a canopy to hide the spaghetti on the center portion. Everything folds nicely and retracts.

I fired her up after testing different orientations and watching if the appropriate motors were responding. I only hopped it and maybe hovered it about an inch or two off the ground for a couple of seconds at a time. I do not have a big area to try to fly it and was just waiting for the wife to come down with a frying pan and let me have it for trying to fly the thing in the family room in the middle of the night when she's sleeping. ... In any event the thing flies... from the limited try so far I can say its extremely responsive... At the height that I tired to hover it there was massive ground effect so I can not tell how it hovers just yet as there was typical ground effect drifting present.. but I must say..success so far...

Thank you for the great thread and thanks so much to all that helped me get to where I am so far..

here are some pics of it...

Hi Talon

It has been debated here, and I've tested it myself. The tri will flt better with the two front gyros aligned at 120 degrees. At 90 they are only sensing 2/3 of the roll movement. And they are sensing none of the pitch. Using ccpm is a mix of both, so you need damping on the same axis as the control input. If you switch to an on board mixer the 90 degree gyros are fine.

Try it both ways, and decide for your self.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:08 AM
Registered User
capt's Avatar
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
I came across a twin motor plane discussion that was advised not to plug in both power leads to the RX or it will "overload". The red wire was advised to be taken out.

In our tricopters, there are three ESC leads each going into a gyro and then to the receiver. When we power the gyros and RX by the BEC, do we have to isolate the red and black wires that come from these ESC leads? What will happen if we don't?
If you are using a BEC or 7805 voltage reg. pull all the reds out of the ESC's. If you are not using a BEC or 7805 just pull 2 reds out so that 1 ESC powers the RX. Some debate onthis that it is not neccesary with the cheapo ESC's but I think it is a good idea and does not hurt anything doing it.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Talontsi96's Avatar
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
I did not pull any of the wires out of my ESCs and am not running a UBEC at this time. I figured by leaving all thee ESCs connected I'm utilizing all onboard BECs of all three ESCs. So far it appears that everything powers up A-Ok....but as I said , I did not test fly it properly yet.

Thanks for the tip about the gyros, I'll move them to a 120 degree orientation...
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Yet another tricopter build. !!Updated parts list!! SebastianJ Multirotor Talk 2669 Dec 30, 2011 05:48 PM
Discussion What to do? Failed tricopter build! Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 9 Mar 07, 2011 09:20 AM
Discussion Tricopter Build Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 21 Feb 20, 2010 08:24 PM
Build Log Tricopter build SebastianJ VTOLs 1 Dec 22, 2008 04:34 PM
Discussion Trying to build a mechanically actuated tricopter, Help! stefalo Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jan 09, 2008 04:10 PM