Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:25 AM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Sounds like the ESC's are not armed yet, just because the gyro's are lit up does not mean the ESC's have armed. Are you still using the Corona? If so swap it out for trouble shooting. Also try removing the gyro from the circuit for trouble shooting, does the ESC arm now? try removing the ESC and just use a old servo, will the servo move?

I would unplug everything and just start using one channel to keep it simple until you figure out what is causing the problem.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Thank you for the great suggestions capt, makes sense...Will do... and will post the progress...
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:02 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,017 Posts
I finally have my Tricopter ready for Electrical setup.
Having had absolutely no Heli experience whatsoever, I am a bit confused with the various hook-up and settings posted. I have tried to follow Don Edberg's Heli instructions for Helis, but am up to my eyeballs in abbreviations.

I am using a Futaba 9CAP (Regular-not Heli version) - but set in Heli mode.
ASSAN 2.4 gig 7 channel receiver
Telebee and Gws gyros
Hobby City 25-30 amp ESCs, Bec, motors and sound alarm all as recommended by SignGuy in his early posts.

I need concise channel settings for this combination to get me started.
Also with the Bec installed, do I disconnect the red wires from the gyros at the receiver?

Help please.
John
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:27 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
does this help?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=563

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan View Post
I finally have my Tricopter ready for Electrical setup.
Having had absolutely no Heli experience whatsoever, I am a bit confused with the various hook-up and settings posted. I have tried to follow Don Edberg's Heli instructions for Helis, but am up to my eyeballs in abbreviations.

I am using a Futaba 9CAP (Regular-not Heli version) - but set in Heli mode.
ASSAN 2.4 gig 7 channel receiver
Telebee and Gws gyros
Hobby City 25-30 amp ESCs, Bec, motors and sound alarm all as recommended by SignGuy in his early posts.

I need concise channel settings for this combination to get me started.
Also with the Bec installed, do I disconnect the red wires from the gyros at the receiver?

Help please.
John
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:27 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Ok... I tired a 72mhz hitec RX... And it works... However, it seems like all things are reversed though. The throttle goes up while pushed down, the rear motor increases speed when the right stick is pushed down, the right motor spins up when the right stick is pushed to the right and it slows down when the stick is pushed to the left. Also I don't hear the left motor slowing down or spinning up at all only the right motor seems to vary its speed...is this normal?

Now is the Corona RX/TX system not useful for this application? I bought it solely for the tri... now it seems like it doesn't want to arm anything. Now do I need to start reversing some (all) my channels on my TX in order to set this up or is there a different setup I need to do?

Ok so my understanding is this: To go forward the rear motor spins faster, in order to bank right the left motor turns faster than the right, to bank left the right motor spins faster than the left, to yaw right the motor tilts to the left, to yaw right the motor tilts to the right... Is this correct and is the left right banking only controlled by the speed of the right motos? it seems that this is what is happening on my tri...as mentioned the left motor does not seem to vary its speed with different stick movements....
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:32 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hey Guys

Here is the work around for MY eurgle radio.. All the setup is the same as listed in the first few post. Gyros on ch1,2,6. Gyro gain yellows all on ch 3 throttle curve set to 8% on all points. I have removed the red wires from the speed controls ( using a BEC ) I have also removed the red wires from the three telebee ( turnigy) gyros, and put them all in a single servo plug end. I have a harness that allows me to plug in the red wires from the gyros, after the battery has been plugged in. This allows the receiver to do its thing, then, after plugging in the harness for the gyros, allows them to arm. After the gyros arm, the speed controls arm next, and I'm ready to go. Sounds like a lot to do, but it is only 1 additional plug besides the battery connection.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:38 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Quote:
OK so my understanding is this: To go forward the rear motor spins faster, in order to bank right the left motor turns faster than the right, to bank left the right motor spins faster than the left, to yaw right the motor tilts to the left, to yaw right the motor tilts to the right... Is this correct and is the left right banking only controlled by the speed of the right motors? it seems that this is what is happening on my tri...as mentioned the left motor does not seem to vary its speed with different stick movements....
You got it, but both L/R motors should vary speed to control bank.
Reverse the appropriate channels and reset the ESC's by disconnecting the batt. push throttle to full , plug batt. back in and wait for ESC's first beep then pull throttle to off.
After ESC's get done beeping try another run up (without props of course).
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
I just want to ECHO what Dave mentioned a few comments ago, Reading how everyone is helping each other is a Great joy. Congratulations to everyone here, great job.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:50 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
ghetto led lights...

hello fellas....i have decited to make some led lights for my tri-copter....i stuck the strobes in to the ghetto wiffle-ball landing gear. it should help me with oriention when flying, randy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNdHURIjUoY
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:18 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
530 Posts
Hey Tal, you're making progress! I seem to remember someone else trying a Corona RX with much frustration. Seems it has a built in delay that causes the gyros and ESCs to arm at the same time, preventing the process from working.

I use the "shorting switch" that Bob had in his original wiring harness diagram so that when I plug in the flight battery (well the only battery in this case), it arms the RX and gyros. When I plug in the shorting switch, it then completes the circuit to arm the ESCs. I am using an external BEC.

I think you need to mess with chnl reversing and try going from plus to minus in your swash afr settings. Notice on mine that I had to go to -35 on aileron.

It gets confusing as changing one thing can affect something else so you have to find the right combination. Each combination of components is slightly different so just cause I have to reverse a chnl does not necessarily mean you must as well.

Here's my TX settings:

Tri Copter TX Settings

Transmiter futaba 9CHP with ASSAN 2.4 module 7 Chnl ASSAN receiver

Swashmix : SR-3

D/R, EXP
Ail 90,-15 HI 85,-30 LO
ELV 90,-15 HI 85,-30 LO
RUD 125,+100 HI 100,+100 LO

SWASH AFR

Ail -35%
Elev 50%
Pitch 90%

Pitch Curve: 30,40,55,70,90

Gyro (yaw) 8.0% STD

No Offset

Tellebes are operated in rate mode which shows as Std in the gyro menu. The pots on the Telles are both set to max value. They are set to Analog (not digital) and same for 401 unless you use a digital servo.

Since I run an external BEC, I pull the RED pin out of the ESC connector that plugs into the gyro. I'm using the pg-3 gyro for yaw, and it has NO remote gain. It's gain is set on the gyro pot itself. I'm running max gain there. That being said, I have my 3 Telles gain wire (yellow) ganged together so they become one pin going into my RX chnl 5 and therefore controlled by my TX gyro sense menu. I have nothing pluged into chnl 3(throttle).

Tom
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
530 Posts
John,

EDITED!!!!!!! I confused my right and lefts! Sorry Now correct

Go back to the first page, post #12 and look at Bob's great diagrams.

Referring to the 3 arm numbers:

The rear arm (#2) ESC/gyro plugs into chnl 2(Elv) of the RX

The left (port) arm (#1) ESC/gyro plugs into chnl 1(Ail) on RX

The right (starboard) arm (#6) ESC/gyro plugs into chnl 6(Pitch) on RX

The yaw gyro/servo will plug into chnl 4 (Rudder) on RX

Hope that helps.

Tom
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Last edited by CoastalTom; Jan 24, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Ok..Guys... I'm making some progress but am getting WAY Confused... with this. Get this ...this is what is happening at the moment. I take it that with the throttle up on the TX then turning on the RX the ESC's go into program mode because they beep the typical single beep, then double beep then tripple beep...etc... So get this. I reversed all my channels and things started to look OK..Well at least on two motors. Now get this is what happens. Tow of the three motors seem to be OK and run, while on seems to be in program mode. The right motor is beeping at me when the throttle is down..while the left and right arm properly... I don't have much hair left but I'm pulling out what is left.... At least I got them spinning now... (not all mind you) The two that are spinning seem to spin in the right directions, faster rear when forward stick, faster left when right stick... the right is just beeping... All gyros seem to be armed OK with blue lights...
Last edited by Talontsi96; Jan 24, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:39 PM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hello lads,

Here is the second flight of the Tri. It is still very windy, but you can see how, when I keep the weight down, it is VERY stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEu4sj6NlJo

Cheers
-J
Excellent flight, Mongrel. That thing is impressive!
matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Ok..Guys... I'm making some progress but am getting WAY Confused... with this. Get this ...this is what is happening at the moment. I take it that with the throttle up on the TX then turning on the RX the ESC's go into program mode because they beep the typical single beep, then double beep then tripple beep...etc... So get this. I reversed all my channels and things started to look OK..Well at least on two motors. Now get this is what happens. Tow of the three motors seem to be OK and run, while on seems to be in program mode. The right motor is beeping at me when the throttle is down..while the left and right arm properly... I don't have much hair left but I'm pulling out what is left.... At least I got them spinning now... (not all mind you) The two that are spinning seem to spin in the right directions, faster rear when forward stick, faster left when right stick... the right is just beeping... All gyros seem to be armed OK with blue lights...
Are you sure you have that motor plugged into the right ch? I think that is ch 6 for the RH motor (at least it is on my HiTec) put it back to normal-not reversed. If that doesn't do it then try changing the swash mix on that ch, ex if it is set at +100 change it to -100. One other thing to look at is the EPA setting for that ch as well.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Okay, I’m not going to change any of my settings, but I am really confused here. Maybe the length of the arms has something to do with it?

Signguy, has his throttle curve set at 8% across the board, well, um, if I try “that”, my tri is totally un-flyable!

Using the eurgle system, I have set my throttle curve to 41% across the board, and it flies great. My arms are only 13 inches from center of frame to the motor shaft though. Am thinking this may have something to do with it? Perhaps?

Any thoughts? Just curious about this.

Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz