SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:05 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfoamy View Post
One last question, how did you mount the main blade gripper? What did you screw it into for it to pivot and which main blade grip did you use?
I'm using a TRex 450 main blade grip running on an old motor shaft, but a rotor spindle should do it. Motor mount is bolted through blade bolt hole and tiewrapped around base of blade grip too.

Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:38 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfoamy View Post
Very nice. I have not ordered the parts yet, but I am thinking of doing so. It's just that everytime I go to HC, they are out of stock on a part.

Anyway, I have the Spektrum radio (DX7) and I am watching your settings closely.

Are you using the Telebee gyro's?

I don't think HC has them anymore. I believe they have their rebranded versions, but I havent found any reports on how well they work yet.

One last question, how did you mount the main blade gripper? What did you screw it into for it to pivot and which main blade grip did you use?
I used a T-Rex450 blade grip. I screwed the shaft in that came with it, so that the grip could spin freely. Then I glued that into a carbon rod, then that rod into a larger rod, then that into the main boom rod. They all fit really snug into each other, and once glued are rock solid.

I am using the rebranded Turnigy ones. They seem to do OK.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hello lads,

Here is the second flight of the Tri. It is still very windy, but you can see how, when I keep the weight down, it is VERY stable.
Cheers
-J
That one is indeed stable. Nicely done, The_Mongrel!
TigerPilot is offline Find More Posts by TigerPilot
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:16 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starz View Post
Hey Bob D, apparently I have the newer version of the Eurgle which shows “mode 1” instead of “model 1” on the display.

So what do you mean about the gyros not arming correctly?! Are you talking about the Telebee GR302-AD gyros? Those are the ones I’m using. My yaw gyro is a NEC GY400, which is very twitchy on the ground, but smoothes out fairly well once it’s air born.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but as far as I can tell, my gyros are arming correctly. I haven’t achieved a hands free hover yet, but darn close. She is very stable, even in fairly strong winds. Just small movements on the stick to hold her in place.(I was amazed)! Still tweaking the settings a little at a time, this is NOT like setting up a CP heli! Also this thing is WAY easier to fly then a CP heli!

Any further info on this gyro thing, or anything else on this TX, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Maybe there are many more firmware versions of the eurgle software! When I plug in the battery, the gyros just flash. I can't get them to arm correctly. I'm going to try some different ways of starting up, hope I can get this squared away.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Maybe there are many more firmware versions of the eurgle software! When I plug in the battery, the gyros just flash. I can't get them to arm correctly. I'm going to try some different ways of starting up, hope I can get this squared away.

Bob, what is your opinion of this Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter Only (Mode 1)? I understand it is mode 1.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...Only_%28Mode_1
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
P.S. There is a Mode 2 also.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...y_%28Mode_2%29
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:39 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Hi Reverend

That is the same radio as the eurgle from r2hobbies. The one from r2 comes with the module and reciever for $97, and its the same 2.4 recievers as the hobby city $15 recievers 6ch and 8ch.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Hi Reverend

That is the same radio as the eurgle from r2hobbies. The one from r2 comes with the module and reciever for $97, and its the same 2.4 recievers as the hobby city $15 recievers 6ch and 8ch.
very Very VERY Interesting. Thank you.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Here’s my power up sequence:

1: Turn on Tx. (Duh, Huh?)
2: Plug battery…wait for gyros to give me the pretty blue lights.
3: Power up escs…wait for funny beeps.
4: Go flying

Granted, the escs don’t “always” power up properly, where they just keep on beeping. So I unplug and start again, but it’s always worked on the second try, so far. I’m thinking that my settings aren’t quite right yet? Don’t understand why it sometimes does that, and other times not. Most times it works fine.

I don’t power everything up at once, “that” was giving me problems. Especially that one time when the motors spun up unexpectedly and darn near took my arm off! Man those are blades sharp!!! I still have the proof on my fore arm.

So I installed a switch in the battery harness going to the escs, so I don’t forget "not" to power everything up at once. Never had any other problems since.

Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Mike, is it possible to program a Zero or negative pitch curve for the Idle up switch into your transmitter? This way, when the idle up switch turned on, there no chance of the blades spinning up accidentally by an unintentional transmitter's stick movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starz View Post

I don’t power everything up at once, “that” was giving me problems. Especially that one time when the motors spun up unexpectedly and darn near took my arm off! Man those are blades sharp!!! I still have the proof on my fore arm.

Mike
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:12 AM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Mike, is it possible to program a Zero or negative pitch curve for the Idle up switch into your transmitter? This way, when the idle up switch turned on, there no chance of the blades spinning up accidentally by an unintentional transmitter's stick movement?
As I mentioned in another post, “I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed”, so I don’t know how to do that. Besides, wouldn’t that mean that I would have to remember “that” switch?

How I do things, is like I said, power up gyros, wait for lights. Then place tri on the ground and stand clear of those props, and hit the switch.

I try to keep things as simple for myself as I can. What works for me, may not work for others.

It IS and idea though, now that I think about it, will have to check into it. I have a real serious back problem, so the less bending over I do, the better off I am. Thanks for making me think.

Mike
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:17 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Mike, I am not criticizing your procedure, just trying to enhance it with a safety feature that I personally have experienced.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:24 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt View Post
Try a different RX if you have something other than Corona, they have a built in delay that causes trouble arming.
I will try a different TX and try again...I played around with it this morning (still with the Corona module) some more. I can get the LED's on all three Telebes to turn solid blue but I still get no control from the TX. The red LED on the HK401 keeps flashing though...I do get one of the motors twitching...or pulstating , its like a on off type thing happening...without any input from the TX. it just pulsates on off..

Now here are some questions:
1. I connected everything without a UBEC... Could this be my problem? (even though I don't see how since the RX is turning on and the ESCs seem to be arming.
2. Should the Telebees be set to digital or standard servo?
3. Is there some kind of programming step of the telebees that I'm missing?

So far I got a pretty nice beeping device that looks like a tri-copter...Hopefully someone will help me turn it into a tri-copter....
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Last edited by Talontsi96; Jan 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Mike, I am not criticizing your procedure, just trying to enhance it with a safety feature that I personally have experienced.
Yo, Rev, I didn’t think for a second that you were criticizing. Sorry if my words were misunderstood!

Trust me, absolutely no offence was taken, or meant in my remarks!

Fly safe!
Mike
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Ok. Played with it some more... I can consistantly now get all three Telebees to light up blue and the motors to stop beeping. All is quiet but there is still no response from anything when I move the sticks on the TX. ???? No twitching of motors or anything...just silence. I converted my nice beeping device to a device that does nothing but shine three blue lights and blink a red one on the HK401... WOW.. I'm really making progress..

So can anyone answer some ??? Are the telebees supposed to e set to digital or standard servos (I've re-read the first few pages of the thread and I see they need to be in STD)? Is the lack of a UBEC have anything to do with my troubles? Is there some kind of setup procedure to this whole thing before the motors start spinning when given throttle? I'm STUMPED......
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Last edited by Talontsi96; Jan 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM.