Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
Has the cat come back yet... looked like he was headed for the hills in the vid
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:25 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Ok.. What I meant was the settings of the ESC's ....I know everyone said to set it to nimh batteries...any other tips? Also the settings on the telebees....(dip switches and gains)... Dip switches on the HK 401..etc...

Also what I don't get is Tom posted the settings for the gyro gain (8%) on the 9CAP in the Advanced Helis settings. My question is... for what channel is this? I mean doesn't it depend to what channel I plug in the gyro gains in order for the 9CAP use the 8% programmed?

Gene...are you telling me your going to beat me to the punch on the maiden of the Tri?
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:36 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,655 Posts
Hello Lads

I just cam back in from some testing and this is what I have found with my DX7.

I test flew on the settings I have... Gyros in GEAR and set to 80%. Nice to fly. Sort of handles like my old Blade400.

So i changed the gyros to the THROTTLE channel and set all throttle curves to 8%. Very unstable. It just pulsed its head off. I tried upping and downing the throttle curves to 15% or 5% - no good. So I set it back to 80% and its seems to be OK. Some slight pulsing, but nothing major.

I have some more video and will post later - Mrs Mongrel is calling.

So the question is... DO I have the Gyros in HH mode, and if so, is it bad, and should I be trying to sort this out.

I actually managed to get it to hover hands off - (you might see this in the video)

Be back later.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:40 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
^This is exactly the stuff that I don't get^ How do I set the gyros? How do I know if they are in HH mode? How do I know which channel (if any ) is controlling the gyro gain?

Also , I don't see my Tri being lighter than about 40 oz with a battery and camera? Is this a problem? Its is 31oz without props and battery right now.. Is this weight about right for a Tri with a 23" radius on the arms?
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:43 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,619 Posts
Question, have anyone tried operating JUST the YAW Gyro in Heading Hold Mode?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:45 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
^This is exactly the stuff that I don't get^ How do I set the gyros? How do I know if they are in HH mode? How do I know which channel (if any ) is controlling the gyro gain?

Also , I don't see my Tri being lighter than about 40 oz with a battery and camera? Is this a problem? Its is 31oz without props and battery right now.. Is this weight about right for a Tri with a 23" radius on the arms?
What Radio are you using mate.

Basically the DX7 is setup so that you MAP the GEAR channel to give gain to the gyros. Seeing as how the gear has two settings (normal up and down) it allows you to set two setting that you can switch in flight to change the flight modes on a heli. From what I have read you don't need that on these tris... you need to set the Gyros in RATE mode.

The way that is done (for the DX7 anyway) is to make the setting in GEAR to a number lower than 50%. However, mine plays up when I do that, and so I have to have it set at 80% which in reality is HEADING HOLD.

I am hoping someone here with more experience can help you and me out.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:49 PM
San Jose CA.
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
I have the DX7. Could you please show me how to set it up step by step? Thanks.

Tbee
tbee is offline Find More Posts by tbee
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbee View Post
I have the DX7. Could you please show me how to set it up step by step? Thanks.

Tbee
I can... But I have to step out with the MRS... I will do it when I get back OK?

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:00 PM
San Jose CA.
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Thanks. I am looking forward to it.

Tbee.
tbee is offline Find More Posts by tbee
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:00 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
530 Posts
Talontsi,

Yes, you need adjustable channels for the telebees (grouped together on one pin) and another chnl for the 401. I assume the HK401 is like a futaba 401 in that you can run it in HH or rate mode and it has a separate connector for the gain. In the Futaba TX, the gyro menu selection affects chnl 5. That's where you set the 8% if you plug your telebees into chnl 5 on the RX. Then you need another chnl for your 401 gain control. Since the throttle chnl (#3) is not used on the tricopter (remember we use chnl 6 which is pitch to add/remove power), then chnl 3 is available for gyro rate. To set the gyro rate on chnl 3, you must set the entire set of 5 points to the same value.

To make it simpler, put your telebees on chnl 3 with all points set to 8%.

Put the gain for the 401 on chnl 5. You can run the 401 in rate mode or in HH (heading hold) depending upon how you set the menu. I fly my helis in HH and prefer that. I do not have a HH gyro on my tri so I don't know how it would feel. For the 401, start with 50% and keep adjusting up until the tail of the tri starts to "wag" and then back down a few points.

I'm trying to give basic steps to a rather complicated process if you've not messed with heli set-up before.

Ask specifics and I'll try my best!
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:05 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
Has the cat come back yet... looked like he was headed for the hills in the vid
I missed the cat! will have to watch it again to see if I can find that.
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:20 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
530 Posts
ESC settings per Signguy post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
Bob, my Turnigy card has the following settings. Can you tell me the correct ones for my SS/HobbyKing esc's please.

1 Brake: on off
Off
2 Batt Type: I know that one, Lipo
Not lipo, set it for Ni-xx
3 Cut Off Type: Soft-cut Cut-off
soft-cut
4 Cut Off Voltage: low middle high
Low
5 Start mode: normal soft very soft
Normal
6 Timing Mode: low middle high
I think mine is set to middle
7 Music/lipo Cells: I know that one too, 3 cell
8 Governor Mode: on off
Off
You don't want the speed controls to cut off at all. These will cut of at .6v per cell when set to Ni-xx A lipoly is around 10 cells, so 6v cutoff. The battery warning I recomend will warn you WAY before then.
signguy is online now Send a private message to signguy Find More Posts by signguy Reply With Quote
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:38 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
I missed the cat! will have to watch it again to see if I can find that.
The cat was in the picture-in-picture, size up to get a good look at a cat going straight up the wall
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:39 PM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTom View Post
Talontsi,

Yes, you need adjustable channels for the telebees (grouped together on one pin) and another chnl for the 401. I assume the HK401 is like a futaba 401 in that you can run it in HH or rate mode and it has a separate connector for the gain. In the Futaba TX, the gyro menu selection affects chnl 5. That's where you set the 8% if you plug your telebees into chnl 5 on the RX. Then you need another chnl for your 401 gain control. Since the throttle chnl (#3) is not used on the tricopter (remember we use chnl 6 which is pitch to add/remove power), then chnl 3 is available for gyro rate. To set the gyro rate on chnl 3, you must set the entire set of 5 points to the same value.

To make it simpler, put your telebees on chnl 3 with all points set to 8%.

Put the gain for the 401 on chnl 5. You can run the 401 in rate mode or in HH (heading hold) depending upon how you set the menu. I fly my helis in HH and prefer that. I do not have a HH gyro on my tri so I don't know how it would feel. For the 401, start with 50% and keep adjusting up until the tail of the tri starts to "wag" and then back down a few points.

I'm trying to give basic steps to a rather complicated process if you've not messed with heli set-up before.

Ask specifics and I'll try my best!
A very well written description, Thanks Tom.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:45 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post

The tri I'm working on now is 26 oz without props or battery, its a 19" radius carbon and aluminum frame. A wood frame of the same size would be about the same weight, maybe an ounce more. A frame your size should weight 28 oz built light from wood. At 31, your tri will fly fine. My 28 oz copter, has flown with 24oz of 2x6 strapped to its bottom. Not just lifted, but flown around the yard in forward flight! Its not the best handling machine at that weight, but it is capable of lifting it. I fly at 41 oz with camera all the time, get 7-8 min before I have to land on a 2200 mah cells. Go for it!
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy