HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
526 Posts
Talontsi,

I'm using the 9CHP TX. Press Mode button to access menu, should show [BASIC(Heli)] at top of page. Press mode again to switch to [ADVANCE (Heli)] menu. Scroll down to Gyro SENS, press big button on right. Use up & down arrow keys to get to settings. Mine is set to SW-F (switch F) but since you will use only rate mode (STD) you could set BOTH switch positions to the 8% setting. That way, if you bump the switch or have it in the "wrong" position, the settings are the same.

Offset is also in the Advance menu.

I have my AIL & ELV, D/R & Expo assigned to switch D
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:24 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,623 Posts
Thank You Tom...I'll try that..

I was busy soldering and figured I'd post a few pics of the build progress. Also I have a couple of questions:

1. With three ESCs connected to the RX each with its own BEC...Is a UBEC really necessary. Will the three BECs of the ESC's not be enough or even exceed the 3A ubec rating?

2. I have seen this asked but not answered. Which channel should I connect the gyro gain leads? (I want to use channel 5 for camera trigger)

3. Since I'm using a HK401 gyro for yaw..and it comes with its own lead for gain, should I just splice that one in with the other three gain wires fromt he Telebees?

4. What is a reasonable weight of the tri? mine is almost 30oz without a battery or camera. Someone posted theirs at 26oz flight ready? how?

This project derailed my latest AP plane build...but I must say its a lot of fun... Thank you again for this thread.....

Here are some pics of the progress so far....
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Last edited by Talontsi96; Jan 23, 2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: forgot the pics
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:08 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,019 Posts
1. I use the BEC’s in the ESC’s. As long as the ESC’s have analog BEC’s it’s ok to parallel them. Most all the smaller ESC’s that are used have analog BEC’s.

2. Any spare channel will work. I have used channel 4 or channel 7.

3. You want to run the Yaw gyro in HH mode so you will need a separate channel. With a camera you really need a 7 or 8 channel radio. I have a Futaba 8FGH (8+2 channels) transmitter and am using a 7-channel receiver but I wish that I purchased an 8-channel for only a few dollars more.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:18 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,623 Posts
Thank you for your reply... how can you use channel 4 for gyro sensitivity if channel 4 is being used by the yaw servo?

I have a 8 channel RX so extra channels won't be an issue.

OK. So ...
1. the use of a UBEC is not necessary since we are using three ESC's in parallel?
2. I need to connect the three telebees to a spare channel that I can adjust remotely with my TX?
3. I have to connect the Yaw gyro to a separate channel on the RX such that I can control that with the TX?

And sorry I added 4 after your post... What is a reasonable flying weight for the T?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:39 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Actually, this is my third attempt at getting this bird to fly. My first attempt, I had the gyros reversed and it flipped on me. My second attempt, I accidentally bumped the throttle and this bird went straight up 20 feet before I realize what had happened. Once I did figure out, I pushed the throttle to zero and you can guess what happened from there. So on this attempt, I did not know what to expect so I took it very VERY SLOW. I gave it just enough power to lift off. The Prop wash made it seem a little unstable however, I believe this is an overall success. The onboard camera Registered very little vibration with the unbalanced blades. Also there was no foam padding between the camera and the frame of the copter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaBtvJAStE8
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Last edited by rimshotcopter; Jan 23, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:56 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
somethings not right there as it seems to want to yaw all the time, also the onboard camera doesnt seem to correspond in time with the main camera so you cant see whats happening onboard when it nearly almost takes off on its spinny way. just my thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Actually, this is my third attempt at getting this bird to fly. My first attempt, I had the gyros reversed and it flipped on me. My second attempt, I accidentally bumped the throttle and this bird went straight up 20 feet before I realize what had happened. Once I did figure out, I pushed the throttle to zero and you can guess what happened from there. So on this attempt, I did not know what to expect so I took it very VERY SLOW. I gave it just enough power to lift off. The Prop wash made it seem a little unstable however, I believe this is an overall success. The onboard camera Registered very little vibration with the unbalanced blades. Also there was no foam padding between the camera and the frame of the copter.

Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
I have not trimmed it or anything at this point. It is as RAW as it comes. No, the onboard camera is in seq with the video, but you can get an idea of the vibration and that was the intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
somethings not right there as it seems to want to yaw all the time, also the onboard camera doesnt seem to correspond in time with the main camera so you cant see whats happening onboard when it nearly almost takes off on its spinny way. just my thoughts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:03 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
No, the onboard camera is in seq with the video, but you can get an idea of the vibration and that was the intent.
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:09 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,623 Posts
Holy...I'm getting close to the completion of this thing... I got the gyros on at the 90 degree setup.Got my HK 401 on the tail.... I got everything plugged in to the RX.. I just need to figure out how to set up the gyro gains on my TX.. I need to program the Telebees , the ESCs and the HK401... Damn, I'll have to read through this thread because the settings for these are lost in the pages. Anyone got the settings for the ESCs, Telebee Gryos and possibly the HK401 handy and post them up? I gotta go pick to the hobby store to pick up some prop adapters and prop saver bands before it closes, when I come back I may just attempt to fire mine up....
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
If you goto the Youtube version, it is in Full HD, you will see what I am referring to. There is some vibration but no where what was expected. The camera is mounted directly on the frame with no insulation at all. That is the reason for the camera, to test for vibration.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:17 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,637 Posts
richie...trim that yaw a lil.....it will go for you...randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois View Post
richie...trim that yaw a lil.....it will go for you...randy.

Thank you Randy, on the very next flight. I just wanted to post something so I posted what I had.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 04:44 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,245 Posts
Talontsi,

You might want to mention that you (we) are using a 9CAP radio too..... not much heli in that one!
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
That depends on your setup and radio. I run between 72 and 80% depending on the prop and battery that I am using.

My Radio is a DX7. My Gyros are the Turnigy (rebranded Tele) Gyros are reversed.

Today I will move them to the Throttle channel and post my results. The wind is a little lower today - so might be able to get a better test done.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
399 Posts
Quote:

Has the cat come back yet... looked like he was headed for the hills in the vid
flipflop is offline Find More Posts by flipflop