HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:10 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinCopter View Post
I like to thank signguy and many contributors for the fantastic build tread. Want to try AP, so decided to build one. Notice that the Telebee gyro has been replaced with Turnugy gyro with the same part number.

I would like to know are they the same? Has anyone tried this Turnigy gyro?
Hey Vincopter, welcome to the club.
Sookainian and TiFische at DH also interested to build one.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:58 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
started machining

started machining the frames for our ultra large Tricopter. 40" radius from center to motor shafts. 18"-22" props (not sure on that yet).

For size reference here are some shots of it next to a Futaba 10C radio and Panasonic HMC150 camera. The camera is about 15" long and is the one we intend to put on this rig if flight tests prove successful.

Will install two motors tomorrow and finish drawing up the yaw bearing assembly for the yaw motor. Planning to use some 25mm I.D. Needle bearings for that mechanism.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:24 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Wow! Very impressive, it looks really refined.
I hope it is successful.
That camera looks expensive.

What battery are you using?
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:16 AM
Have a nice day! Kristjan
Slovenia, Novo mesto, Šentjernej
Joined Jan 2006
823 Posts
Wow!
Camera mount too...
If I'm not wrong, it is from http://photoshipone.com/ps1-products/vr360/
kristjane is online now Find More Posts by kristjane
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:42 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Hi Lads,

I have started my build tonight. Have mounted the legs and the Yaw mount.

I changed my yaw mount a little and now have used a custom cut motor mount. I used an old tail wheel mount and a servo saver that will be used to connect to the servo.

I added some stick that is glued and taped to raise the servo a little and give some clearance.

I drilled the Carbon and used nylon prop spacers to as washers on one side, with Nylock nuts on the other. The tail boom is mounted with two, as it wont move.

I have made it with all 3 motors being equal distance - I hope that is correct!! My legs are also 460mm long. Slightly longer than the stock build.

Now - I read that it is a good idea to have some dihedral on the motors... is that just the front 2?

What do you think so far??
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:07 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,705 Posts
@Mongrel,
Looking good! That CF tubing with the round holes is great stuff and I have been using it on my quadrocopter builds for a couple of years. What we have found is that if you gorilla glue spruce or pine or basswood doweling in the entire length, it will double the strength. Also you should never drill into the CF tubes as it will weaken them. The better approach is to use pinch-blocks made out of wood or Derlin. It makes them easier to change when you have to as well You can keep your folding design by making the pinch-blocks swivel.
CF wood insert testing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2211
How to glue wood inserts: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post10637944
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:13 AM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Those Medusa meters were made only a few miles from me. I did sign work for them
Its proved itself many times. So what do you think, use the 2410 or go for the DT750???

Ronnie
mallettron is offline Find More Posts by mallettron
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
@Mongrel,
Looking good! That CF tubing with the round holes is great stuff and I have been using it on my quadrocopter builds for a couple of years. What we have found is that if you gorilla glue spruce or pine or basswood doweling in the entire length, it will double the strength. Also you should never drill into the CF tubes as it will weaken them. The better approach is to use pinch-blocks made out of wood or Derlin. It makes them easier to change when you have to as well You can keep your folding design by making the pinch-blocks swivel.
CF wood insert testing: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2211
How to glue wood inserts: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post10637944
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Thanks mate - I forgot to buy the damn dowel today when I was in the hobby shop!! GRR!!

How does the carbon go with affecting the Video RX and RC RX? This does have me worried.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:18 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post

Now - I read that it is a good idea to have some dihedral on the motors... is that just the front 2?

What do you think so far??
Dihedral will make the hover more stable on a calm day. It can cause pitch up and other problems if you plan on forward flight. If you want to try it make it adjustable so you can tune it the way you like.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:20 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
not a bad idea thanks. is it only the to forward motors?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:28 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
not a bad idea thanks. is it only the to forward motors?

Not to complicate things, but you may find my build log interesting. I have incorporated movable motor mounts however my design is to create forward motion.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151035
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:51 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallettron View Post
Its proved itself many times. So what do you think, use the 2410 or go for the DT750???

Ronnie
The 2410-09's are good for a trainer, or small camera ( up to 6-7 oz ) the dt-750's for anything larger 10-15oz. The dt's are hard to beat. They have lots of power, and the low Kv make the tri very stable.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:01 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,705 Posts
J,
Not a problem with CF. Just keep your antenna wires clear of them. Wrapping the wire around them is never a good idea if you are still using something other than 2.4Ghz Rx's with long antennae. The thing to remember, as you hinted at, is that CF can be aconductor. That is why I never recommend running wire through the tubes (which I fill with spruce for strength anyway), because in a hard landing when they break, they can sort out the motor wires.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Thanks mate - I forgot to buy the damn dowel today when I was in the hobby shop!! GRR!!
How does the carbon go with affecting the Video RX and RC RX? This does have me worried.
Cheers
-J
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:03 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Wow Jim, you are a WAREHOUSE full of Good useful information!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
J,
Not a problem with CF. Just keep your antenna wires clear of them. Wrapping the wire around them is never a good idea if you are still using something other than 2.4Ghz Rx's with long antennae. The thing to remember, as you hinted at, is that CF can be aconductor. That is why I never recommend running wire through the tubes (which I fill with spruce for strength anyway), because in a hard landing when they break, they can sort out the motor wires.
Cheers,
Jim
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,705 Posts
RR,
Just trying to share lessons learned from the school of hard knocks... It is the old Air Force Instructor Nav in me
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Wow Jim, you are a WAREHOUSE full of Good useful information!!!