HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:05 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
thianks for the explanation one more question. can i use any osd like this one that i have http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29798 to use the drag and drop etc you explain ? or do you have to use the osd you are talking about? i know i couldnt use the gps module on mine but without it would that setup work
You have to use the Minimosd for that functionality with the APM 2.5 FC.
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:30 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks View Post
I have had APM, many versions for years.... The new uBlox GPS is crazy tight !!

All my copters now Loiter like the one in the video above... They run missions, no problem
and even land perfectly !!

This was not always the case but the latest firmware 2.9.1 is really good..

Eddie Weeks
It's the best thing I've flown thus far Eddie.
I'll run some missions shortly. I'm away with work ATM. When I get back ill post some pics of the build
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:16 AM
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
174 Posts
I've been screwing around with my apm2 for almost a year. I put it in a hex copter and had issues with it going off by itself, landed in a tree one time. Last week I put it in my tricopter and updated the firmware, and it's like a different controller. Made a huge difference. I still need to tune it a little, but the stock settings are a very good starting point. Anyone have any setting adjustments I would like to see what you have done.
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:48 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Tricopter with APM2.5 in the blue box

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362217664.244617.jpg
Views: 169
Size: 160.9 KB
Description:
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:39 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
What flight controllers have you flown with before BigJim? How does the stability of APM compare?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:24 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
What flight controllers have you flown with before BigJim? How does the stability of APM compare?
Like you SD I flew with Gyros to start then built my own MWii.
Flew Naza and wasn't impressed. Swapped it for some linear rails.
HKKK not impressed

The APM is totally locked in. Very nice to fly on FPV with my tricopter. The yaw is impressive for heading hold and has a real nice action. I have mine P'd down a bit but its nice and snappy
There's an acro mode for it now though I havnt tried it.
I'm buying another

Ian
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:08 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,587 Posts
How is it compared to multiwii??
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:19 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
How is it compared to multiwii??
Hey mate,

Stabilise is much nicer and seems to handle larger P settings.
Really just feels more dialled in than mwii. Stabilise is much nicer to fly compared. It doesn't fight back the same as mwii.
Hard to explain but it's a delight to fly. Love the auto trim too. You can hover the craft, trim for level flight, land then store the trims in the APM then reset your radio trims back to centre.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:29 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,587 Posts
I'm still running Multiwii 1.7 on my tricopter.. it was 2 years old last month.. I guess it's time to upgrade the fw.. it might be much stable.. don't know what happened it's flying like a pig at the moment..
My quad was flying much better with version 1.9.. To be honest, I haven't followed the MW thread for a while, so I don't even know which is the most recent version of the fw.. Spring is nearly here, so I will take care of my copters before the season starts..
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:19 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
I'm still running Multiwii 1.7 on my tricopter.. it was 2 years old last month.. I guess it's time to upgrade the fw.. it might be much stable.. don't know what happened it's flying like a pig at the moment..
My quad was flying much better with version 1.9.. To be honest, I haven't followed the MW thread for a while, so I don't even know which is the most recent version of the fw.. Spring is nearly here, so I will take care of my copters before the season starts..
I think 2.1 is the latest. Thats what I've got on a quad and tricopter. Its the most stable I've used. Auto level works great.

BobD
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:05 PM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,587 Posts
Thanks for replying Bob.. I still use an old style flight controller.. the arduino and the Wii Motion Plus are both glued with double sided tape to the frame.. It is 2 years old now and before the multiwii, it used to fly with 4 HK Gyros. Remember those??

Some time ago, I replaced the motor's bearings and balanced the props. I was surprised that after that it flies like a pig.. It shakes much more than before..
Will work on it in the next weeks.see if I can get it ready before the season starts here..
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:16 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for replying Bob.. I still use an old style flight controller.. the arduino and the Wii Motion Plus are both glued with double sided tape to the frame.. It is 2 years old now and before the multiwii, it used to fly with 4 HK Gyros. Remember those??

Some time ago, I replaced the motor's bearings and balanced the props. I was surprised that after that it flies like a pig.. It shakes much more than before..
Will work on it in the next weeks.see if I can get it ready before the season starts here..
Have you balanced the props across the blades? I have some gemfams that balance OK spanwise, but they are off balance when put vertically in the balancer. I use hot glue on the light hub to get them right.
If that doesn't work, try low pass gyro filtering in the MW sketch.
MultiWii 2.1 Low Pass Filter Eliminates Wobbles (2 min 7 sec)

I still have all my arduino/wmp controllers. Used to cost $45 to build, now I can buy a board for $18!! gonna add a NK to one and use it on a wing, for auto leveling.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:35 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
Must say I am really enjoying seeing the flight controllers evolve and come down in price. It wasnt so long ago I bought a KK Blue for well over $100 and that was garbage compared to the cheapest multiwii's HK have to offer now. So far ive setup 4 of the HK multiwii boards and they all work perfectly just the expensive ones from other places.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:06 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hey Ian

How is the APM to setup? I've been reading the thread about it. Seems some guys are having lots of troubles. You said it flew almost stock.... Just want to know. My buddy wants me to set one up for him.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:18 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Hey Ian

How is the APM to setup? I've been reading the thread about it. Seems some guys are having lots of troubles. You said it flew almost stock.... Just want to know. My buddy wants me to set one up for him.
Hi Bob,

Did you get my reply the other day to your personal email ?

My H quad flew nice with stock PIDs as did my Tricopter.
It's very easy to set up Bob.
Use this guide below and you should have not trouble. If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me an email or Pm
Just remember that when building tricopters with APM the yaw gyro doesn't function until the device is armed and throttle applied.
Same as the KK board
Some people struggle when they don't follow the directions. I'm sure, given your previous experience, that you will have no trouble

The guide generously supplied by jumpy07

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.p....0;attach=2828
Last edited by BigJimNZ; Mar 06, 2013 at 02:24 AM.