HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
thats some cool stuff there Big Jim. How's your back? Looks like you're back in business... I wouldn't mind you sending some summer my way too.
Bob didnt want to bring it up but how are you going?
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:09 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
hey jim what osd are you using.mine doesnt have horizon line i want one that does but that doesnt cost a fortune
Thanks for the comments guys. Bloody hot here ATM. Need some water here now as we are heading for drought right now.
Bob, my back is way better thanks. Back at work but not limping any more and I'm a bit taller now too !!

OSD is Minimosd. Fits directly to the APM 2.5. I paid US$44 for it from DIY drones.
The APM 2.5 is about $80 from RC Timer. You can get the 2.5 with GPS and telemetry for about $140
The software lets you drag and drop what you want on the display where you want. Very nice
Best bit of FC I've had.

Yes the volcano is dormant. We have 63 cones in the Auckland region. The most recent is about 650 years old
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:07 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Bob didnt want to bring it up but how are you going?
I'm doing OK. Still doing chemo, and holistic stuff and feeling pretty good. Hope I'm feeling this well by May, I have a third multirotor meet planned.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836300

Thanks for asking jbalat....
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:47 AM
Joined Feb 2011
678 Posts
Good to hear Bob, wow those models look great, wish I was able to come sounds like a lot of fun !
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:50 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,351 Posts
Great to read you're feeling better Bob..And great to see you back here too..

Joćo
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:55 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,294 Posts
Ok as promised is some feedback on the tricopter with APM 2.5

IT ROCKS

Stock settings except for turning down the yaw P.
Probably the nicest thing I've flown so far on tricopter. Solid in the air to the extent of being snappy. Smooth in FFF.
Put the thing in loiter once while I was doing FPV as I hadn't turned on record at the ground station and took off my goggles to hit record.
Put them back on and it was still there.
Did about 6 FPV flights yesterday. Attached is a bit of video of it in loiter. This is baro only, no sonar.
I'll get some FPV vid up shortly

Tricopter loiter APM 2.5 (0 min 37 sec)
Last edited by BigJimNZ; Feb 24, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:17 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
what is apm big jim? really incredible hold......where did you get the flight board from?any added features to the board
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
never mind found it apm flight board ouch $200 wished i could afford a board like that
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:34 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
ok so you said in earlier post rc imer had board for 80$ but you also said for 140 you could get gps and telemetry now is that with the osd?or does the board with telemetry send that info and you can use any osd and it will display all the info your screenshot shows?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:56 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
ok so you said in earlier post rc imer had board for 80$ but you also said for 140 you could get gps and telemetry now is that with the osd?or does the board with telemetry send that info and you can use any osd and it will display all the info your screenshot shows?
This is the board with telemetry and GPS.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=

The OSD is minim osd version 1.1 I think from Diy Drones. The earlier version can be purchased from HK or RC Timer but that one has a linear regulator and can get hot. The later board has a switching reg. But there are well documented work arounds for it and many use it without issue. It's about US$20. The one from DIY is about US$60
The telemetry is used to fire waypoint info and setup changes to the craft whilst flying or disconnected from your computer.
Waypoints and flight plans can be loaded via USB if you don't have telemetry.
The minim OSD shares the telemetry data from the APM board with the telemetry radio. It's an on board solution.
Head over to DIY drones and check the how to for the thing. Nice software for the osd that let's you put what you want where you
want in the windows environment.
I use the telemetry mainly to tune the craft as all the PIDS and setup configs without being hooked to the PC.
So you can adjust and fly at leisure.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:14 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,351 Posts
very nice..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:35 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post

The OSD is minim osd version 1.1 I think from Diy Drones. The earlier version can be purchased from HK or RC Timer but that one has a linear regulator and can get hot. The later board has a switching reg. But there are well documented work arounds for it and many use it without issue. It's about US$20. The one from DIY is about US$60
The telemetry is used to fire waypoint info and setup changes to the craft whilst flying or disconnected from your computer.
The minim OSD shares the telemetry data from the APM board with the telemetry radio. It's an on board solution.
Head over to DIY drones and check the how to for the thing. Nice software for the osd that let's you put what you want where you
I use the telemetry mainly to tune the craft as all the PIDS and setup configs without being hooked to the PC.
Bigjim,
That looks very sweet. Thank you for pioneering once again. I'm one step closer to convinced that this is one of the best controllers for tri configs.
H
shelterock is online now Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
947 Posts
I have had APM, many versions for years.... The new uBlox GPS is crazy tight !!

All my copters now Loiter like the one in the video above... They run missions, no problem
and even land perfectly !!

This was not always the case but the latest firmware 2.9.1 is really good..

Eddie Weeks
EddieWeeks is online now Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:21 AM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:

thianks for the explanation one more question. can i use any osd like this one that i have http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29798 to use the drag and drop etc you explain ? or do you have to use the osd you are talking about? i know i couldnt use the gps module on mine but without it would that setup work
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:21 AM
Joined Feb 2011
678 Posts
Quote:
Ok as promised is some feedback on the tricopter with APM 2.5

IT ROCKS

Stock settings except for turning down the yaw P.
Probably the nicest thing I've flown so far on tricopter. Solid in the air to the extent of being snappy. Smooth in FFF.
Put the thing in loiter once while I was doing FPV as I hadn't turned on record at the ground station and took off my goggles to hit record.
Put them back on and it was still there.
Did about 6 FPV flights yesterday. Attached is a bit of video of it in loiter. This is baro only, no sonar.
I'll get some FPV vid up shortly

http://vimeo.com/60365519
Wow that thing is rock solid, good work !