HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:29 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Have we finally reached the end of this thread sign guy ?
Nope! I just flew a tricopter today after a loooooonnngg time away from them. I have been flying quads, and learning to fly them FPV. Have gone through LOTS of props, and am kinda tired of having to buy them in pairs of cw/ccw. Rebuilt an old tri and loaded multiwii 2.1. I had forgotten how much fun a tricopter is! Orientation is also much better. I'm hosting meet in May for any kind of multi, and we'll be having FPV and LOS racing. I think I'm going to enter with a tricopter... I can't believe how this thread has grown. Is it time to start a "build a quadcopter" thread?
Anyone that'll be in the New England USA area in May ( probably the first weekend ) is welcome to come out and fly...
BobD
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Jul 2011
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Nope! I just flew a tricopter today after a loooooonnngg time away from them. I have been flying quads, and learning to fly them FPV. Have gone through LOTS of props, and am kinda tired of having to buy them in pairs of cw/ccw. Rebuilt an old tri and loaded multiwii 2.1. I had forgotten how much fun a tricopter is! Orientation is also much better. I'm hosting meet in May for any kind of multi, and we'll be having FPV and LOS racing. I think I'm going to enter with a tricopter... I can't believe how this thread has grown. Is it time to start a "build a quadcopter" thread?
Anyone that'll be in the New England USA area in May ( probably the first weekend ) is welcome to come out and fly...
BobD
Tri's are a hell of alotta fun. and less parts to have to fight with to get a good platform moving! Getting ready to build up my fpv with a colabo of parts from various projects and past builds to get the best possible setup i have ever had.
planerazy03 is offline Find More Posts by planerazy03
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:50 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
new sub microtri

put this together yesterday. smallest homemade multirotor i ever built. uses 1811 2900kv with 5x4.5 propsnext to a 3 cell 2200 lipo and my 9xr for size comparison.
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Last edited by abletowinginc; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:11 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Just about to put Arducopter on my FPV Tricopter after getting it going on the H Quad
I find it hard to get to grips with flying FPV on the quad. Just ain't the same
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:42 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
Just about to put Arducopter on my FPV Tricopter after getting it going on the H Quad
I find it hard to get to grips with flying FPV on the quad. Just ain't the same
i agree i have been trying to learn as well very odd sensation with goggles on trying to get the depth perception and feel right
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:23 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
i agree i have been trying to learn as well very odd sensation with goggles on trying to get the depth perception and feel right
I found the tricopter better as I like to input some aileron too but the quad is like a plank. Well at least with APM 2.5 it is.
Acro on the tricopter sorts you out pretty quick !!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:51 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
I found the tricopter better as I like to input some aileron too but the quad is like a plank. Well at least with APM 2.5 it is.
Acro on the tricopter sorts you out pretty quick !!
Hi Jim,
Have you dialed in the APM 2.5 on a tricopter. Is it a good setup?
I've been eyeballing that controller for a while and recent price drop may mean I pull the trigger. Most seem to fly it on a Quad. Curious to hear your thoughts on its performance over Multiwii, KK2, Megapirates Tri configs and Arducopter for quad configurations...
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:21 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Hi Jim,
Have you dialed in the APM 2.5 on a tricopter. Is it a good setup?
I've been eyeballing that controller for a while and recent price drop may mean I pull the trigger. Most seem to fly it on a Quad. Curious to hear your thoughts on its performance over Multiwii, KK2, Megapirates Tri configs and Arducopter for quad configurations...
H

from my experience with it on the quad I expect it to perform well on the tri.
I will be porting it to the Tricopter shortly and will post my findings.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:30 AM
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
I have an APM2 on my tri right now and am having problems. I would be intersted in what your settings are. One of the issues discussed on Flitetests was to put a piece of cotton over one of the sensors. I haven't tried that yet. I just want a nice stable Tri with return to home features, in case I out distance my video. Also It would be cool to discuss a high end tri and perhaps a mid range tri. With advantages of either? I think the low cost one has been beat to death.
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:30 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadrian View Post
I have an APM2 on my tri right now and am having problems. I would be intersted in what your settings are. One of the issues discussed on Flitetests was to put a piece of cotton over one of the sensors. I haven't tried that yet. I just want a nice stable Tri with return to home features, in case I out distance my video. Also It would be cool to discuss a high end tri and perhaps a mid range tri. With advantages of either? I think the low cost one has been beat to death.
I have yet to get the 2.5 on my tri. Work very busy ATM.
The cotton wool would be over the barometer as they are susceptible to both light and wind. I have used a foam that does not let light in but let's the barometer function. Also be aware that if you encase your FC any air that gets forced into the casing in FFF or descent will increase the pressure within the enclosure and mess up the real baro reading.
This should not effect getting a stable tri though. Once I have it going. ( prob this weekend ) I will post my findings on here and drop you a pm to discuss

Ian
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:34 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
H Quad At Mangere Mountain (2 min 6 sec)

A bit of video of the H Quad
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:11 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,535 Posts
Hey, nice vid mate.. can you please send some of that summer this way??
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:19 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
thats some cool stuff there Big Jim. How's your back? Looks like you're back in business... I wouldn't mind you sending some summer my way too.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:24 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
https://vimeo.com/59979597

hey jim what osd are you using.mine doesnt have horizon line i want one that does but that doesnt cost a fortune
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:25 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
https://vimeo.com/59979597

btw is that a dormant volcano your in?