HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
776 Posts
Something definitely on the to do list, but may want to launch somewhere with 100 kms or so of nothing in any direction and no wind. Hopefully you could glide it down once the balloon pops in you had a uhf set up ?

Hey just an fpv video i did when i was in Wilsons prom a couple of weeks back
Awesome Aerial views from GoPro over Wilsons Prom with FPV Quadcopter (11 min 49 sec)
jbalat is online now Find More Posts by jbalat
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:13 PM
Lets make it remote control!!!
abletowinginc's Avatar
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
new woody building

hey isnt a tri but thought id show you guys.the radio in pic is my new 9xr im so happy with it love it
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:06 AM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Something definitely on the to do list, but may want to launch somewhere with 100 kms or so of nothing in any direction and no wind. Hopefully you could glide it down once the balloon pops in you had a uhf set up ?

Hey just an fpv video i did when i was in Wilsons prom a couple of weeks back
http://youtu.be/ULHn1BQSfpM
Nice video John. What's with bloke with the funny accent ;-)
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:08 AM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
hey isnt a tri but thought id show you guys.the radio in pic is my new 9xr im so happy with it love it
They look like a nice radio. Crazy money even if you have to get a module.
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:39 AM
Registered User
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Is that the Turnigy 9X ? Not sure as the picture is so small.

If it is then.... I have had a couple of 9X for nearly 2 years.

They are a great radio and fantastic at the price.

I flashed mine with the ER9X firmware as the original firmware was not very good.

Good range, works well, cheap and spare receivers are cheap.... what's not to like ?
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Is that the Turnigy 9X ? Not sure as the picture is so small.

If it is then.... I have had a couple of 9X for nearly 2 years.

They are a great radio and fantastic at the price.

I flashed mine with the ER9X firmware as the original firmware was not very good.

Good range, works well, cheap and spare receivers are cheap.... what's not to like ?
Get with it, its a 9xr.. Already flashed, has the port and removable module. No major improvements from what i can tell
jbalat is online now Find More Posts by jbalat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:17 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,471 Posts
No adjustable tension gimbals, Hard to change modes, buttons don't work well and people are having to mod them installing real switches in it, No space inside the radio for more mods if you want to do some.
On the other side, it comes with a programmer port, ball bearing gimbals (bearing on one side of the pot only) and backlight.
Also comes with one of the custom firmwares installed, but a very old version. apparently HK made a couple changes to the er9x firmware. Don't know why the heck they did that, because they didn't make it any better and by doing it they made it incompatible with eepe, which is a computer program where you can program your models, simulate them, and when you're happy just load them to the radio again..
If you buy the radio do yourself a favour and flash it with the latest version of the firmware..

If I'd have to choose between them, I'd get the 9x.. but that's just my opinion.
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:52 AM
Registered User
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Get with it, its a 9xr.. Already flashed, has the port and removable module. No major improvements from what i can tell
I couldn't tell what it was from the photo, too small and fuzzy.

I guessed it was a new version of the Turnigy 9X.

It appears it is not and the port, although fitted is not compatible with the very useful eepe programme

They have also taken all the fun out of it. I wired in the ports and fitted backlights and gained the satisfaction of having done it myself. That way you learn more about the radio and flashing firmware.

Thanks for the update jhsa
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Last edited by sparklet; Jan 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:55 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
abletowinginc's Avatar
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
hey guys i have a brain fart if i want to use just one bec to power reciever i cut all the red wires except onone correct
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:56 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
abletowinginc's Avatar
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
and yes it is the new 9xr and its flasehd er9x and i havent had any issue with gimbalsor switches it works perfectly awesome awesome radio and the price is just icing on the cake
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
Registered User
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
O.K. curiosity got the better of me. I have just been to HobbyKing to have a look.

Interesting.....

They state it is loaded with 9xr firmware - not ER9X.

They imply that the online community developed the firmware for the radios. What they omit to mention is that... the firmware that came with the 9X originally was as buggy as all h*ll and I, like many others, found that it locked up and the transmitter became a doorstop !
That was when jhsa came to my rescue on here and told me about the ER9X firmware and the methods of installing a port.

I see they have set up a website to continue with the development of the firmware... interesting as they didn't have any input into it's development originally !

I can't be bothered to look but I wonder if they have "appropriated" the ER9X firmware, messed about with it and are now claiming it as their own ?
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:23 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,471 Posts
If you guys need a new radio, I think it would be worth waiting for the FrSky radios..
Frsky is doing the right thing and is having the radios tested by people that know what they're doing..
I'm saving for the X12D.. I think it will be an awesome radio. all radios will use the excelllent custom firmwares too and I think they will be affordable.. Not $50 though
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:25 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
I can't be bothered to look but I wonder if they have "appropriated" the ER9X firmware, messed about with it and are now claiming it as their own ?
No they didn't.. but they tried
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
abletowinginc's Avatar
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
O.K. curiosity got the better of me. I have just been to HobbyKing to have a look.

Interesting.....

They state it is loaded with 9xr firmware - not ER9X.

They imply that the online community developed the firmware for the radios. What they omit to mention is that... the firmware that came with the 9X originally was as buggy as all h*ll and I, like many others, found that it locked up and the transmitter became a doorstop !
That was when jhsa came to my rescue on here and told me about the ER9X firmware and the methods of installing a port.

I see they have set up a website to continue with the development of the firmware... interesting as they didn't have any input into it's development originally !

I can't be bothered to look but I wonder if they have "appropriated" the ER9X firmware, messed about with it and are now claiming it as their own ?
i reflashed it anyway may go toopen havent decided.it comes with port already on bottom of radio and uses the kk board plug
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
hey guys i have a brain fart if i want to use just one bec to power reciever i cut all the red wires except onone correct
Yes. Leave just one red wire from the esc. A separate ubec would be preferable
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Yet another tricopter build. !!Updated parts list!! SebastianJ Multirotor Talk 2669 Dec 30, 2011 05:48 PM
Discussion What to do? Failed tricopter build! Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 9 Mar 07, 2011 09:20 AM
Discussion Tricopter Build Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 21 Feb 20, 2010 08:24 PM
Build Log Tricopter build SebastianJ VTOLs 1 Dec 22, 2008 04:34 PM
Discussion Trying to build a mechanically actuated tricopter, Help! stefalo Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jan 09, 2008 04:10 PM