SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
Registered User
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Feb 2010
190 Posts
Wood was good at the a shorter arm length. Once I did the beam analysis and applied it to the motors vibration profile I went with the length for the CF which was 0.45 meters. The transmissibily plot is based of the testing of that length which would not have been ideal for AL or wood. If you look at the graph with the flight envelope, using those motors, wood would ideally be .28 meters and Al .4 meters. I went for the material which gave me the longest arm length for stability.
MIDNCOCO is offline Find More Posts by MIDNCOCO
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
699 Posts
Anyone interested in the candy canes them buy now !!!

H - QuadCopter Overview - GoPro Hero3 Black Edition Footage (6 min 41 sec)
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 PM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Anyone interested in the candy canes them buy now !!!

http://youtu.be/eKB8UoZqbE8
Ha ha I remember you making yours from the candy cane tube
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
Ha ha I remember you making yours from the candy cane tube
I am making a candy tube and post pak quad now. The idea behind this is for low wind profile. Im trying to make a model that flies well in wind, obviously smaller props is the main key. Will post some pics soon

The candy cane stuff is so stiff and light. It must be alien technology
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
I am making a candy tube and post pak quad now. The idea behind this is for low wind profile. Im trying to make a model that flies well in wind, obviously smaller props is the main key. Will post some pics soon

The candy cane stuff is so stiff and light. It must be alien technology
And the contents are so tasty. You had better build fast you have only got till just after midnight he he
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
699 Posts
Ian is your h quad finished yet ? Its just too hot here to do anything at the moment
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Ian is your h quad finished yet ? Its just too hot here to do anything at the moment
No John it's on the back burner at the mo since I had spine fusion surgery a few weeks ago.
However I have bought the multiwii mega board with MTK GPS from HK and ported that with Megapirate NG software.
Works on the couch but don't have it in the frame yet. Might be able in the new year once mobile enough.
I have ordered the APM 2.5 board for Arduflyer or Megapirate with CN06 GPS and 900mhz telemetry from RC Timer which I will ultimately use in the quad.
Really just for something to tinker with.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356273294.979475.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 162.2 KB
Description:
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,390 Posts
I know what he is trying to do.. he attaches the flight controller to his belly with silicone tubing and cable ties. Motors, props and ESCs attached (again with cable ties) to each of his legs and arms, and will let his wife fly him around
Real First Person View.
The new creation is called the iancopter..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Last edited by jhsa; Dec 23, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Lets make it remote control!!!
abletowinginc's Avatar
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2009
998 Posts
big jim hope your surgery goes well do exactly what they say my dad had it done to his lower backand wife to her neck dads was sucessful wife notso lucky she ended up having the stuff come loose because stupid doctor didnt do bone density check to see if she had ummm that disease older people get when bones are soft or brittle and she did! but anyway do what they say and push through the pain to build your muscles up and you be better for it good luck\

on other note i decided to try to turn my rc explorer tris motors to all pushers mounted them on bottom side of arms and i really like the handling of it also noted longer flight times must be loosing some thrust blowing across the arms and the rear one blowing across arm and large servo something changed



Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
No John it's on the back burner at the mo since I had spine fusion surgery a few weeks ago.
However I have bought the multiwii mega board with MTK GPS from HK and ported that with Megapirate NG software.
Works on the couch but don't have it in the frame yet. Might be able in the new year once mobile enough.
I have ordered the APM 2.5 board for Arduflyer or Megapirate with CN06 GPS and 900mhz telemetry from RC Timer which I will ultimately use in the quad.
Really just for something to tinker with.

Attachment 5391265
abletowinginc is offline Find More Posts by abletowinginc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
big jim hope your surgery goes well do exactly what they say my dad had it done to his lower backand wife to her neck dads was sucessful wife notso lucky she ended up having the stuff come loose because stupid doctor didnt do bone density check to see if she had ummm that disease older people get when bones are soft or brittle and she did! but anyway do what they say and push through the pain to build your muscles up and you be better for it good luck\

on other note i decided to try to turn my rc explorer tris motors to all pushers mounted them on bottom side of arms and i really like the handling of it also noted longer flight times must be loosing some thrust blowing across the arms and the rear one blowing across arm and large servo something changed
Thanks. I had the surgery 3 weeks ago and starting to free up a bit now. Had a large blood clot in my back so had 2nd surgery to sort that out. Off the morphine and charging. I'm glad I had it done as I don't limp now and I stand straight. Cool.

Yeah I guess the disturbed wash from the arms being in the way is a big factor. It's a consideration for my H quad.

@Joao

He he I got the wife on a remote control anyway heeeeeeeeeee. Hope she don't see this post ;-)
We thought about the iancopter but I didn't like where she wanted to put the lipo !!
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:21 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post

He he I got the wife on a remote control anyway heeeeeeeeeee. Hope she don't see this post ;-)
We thought about the iancopter but I didn't like where she wanted to put the lipo !!
Muaaaaah ha ha haaa!! You could go fly in cold days then the Lipo wouldn't lose power because of the cold
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
699 Posts
Get well soon Ian !! I want to see this megapirate thing in action... And Merry Christmas all
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Last edited by jbalat; Dec 24, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:16 AM
Registered User
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,926 Posts
Merry Christmas all.

Glad to hear the operation has gone O.K Jim.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:37 AM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Thanks for the kindness guys. Wishing you all a super Christmas and a great new year stacked full of flying madness

Ian
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:46 AM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Happy new year all you guys up there from down here
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Yet another tricopter build. !!Updated parts list!! SebastianJ Multirotor Talk 2669 Dec 30, 2011 05:48 PM
Discussion What to do? Failed tricopter build! Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 9 Mar 07, 2011 09:20 AM
Discussion Tricopter Build Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 21 Feb 20, 2010 08:24 PM
Build Log Tricopter build SebastianJ VTOLs 1 Dec 22, 2008 04:34 PM
Discussion Trying to build a mechanically actuated tricopter, Help! stefalo Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jan 09, 2008 04:10 PM