SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:48 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d-wanna-b View Post
Hi, I'm fixing to take on a tricopter build and was wanting to ask a couple questions. First will any gyros work for the copter? I have 4 Assan GA250 MEM,s gyros I plan to use, will they work? and second what about ESC's will any esc work for the copter? I've got a quad frame I'm fixing to convert to a tricopter. What size props would you recommend for 930kv motors? and what amp esc would be good to go with?
Mate I can't even remember too much about the first gyro tri I made except that some gyros were ok and some not.
The HK SS 25 x 30 esc worked for me with DT 750 motors as did the HK401 gyro. Perhaps a look at the beginning of the thread will help as a bunch of experimenting was done back there with all sorts of gyros. Your motors are 930 kv but what size frame are they ?

Anyone else wanna wade in here
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
Heli Freak
Strawberry, Ar.
Joined Jun 2008
110 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jim.... The frame is a MQ600 Folding Frame With a 568MM Shaft Distance.. The motors are the ones used on the Bumble Bee Quad copter which is a 550 ST2812 930kv and call for a 10x3.8 prop.I have ordered the three carbon arms 2 - 20" front arms and the 18-1/2" rear arm for the tri so it will be much bigger in its tri state than it is now. So what would you recommend prop wise? As for my ESC's I've got 4 new Hobby wing Pentium 40amp so I could use 3 of those.. I've notice looking through the thread that a lot of people are using the KK boards? I've noticed the KK V5.5 and the KK2 with display. I'm liking the KK2 board with display as it seems it be better to program. Are they any major differences between the two boards besides one has the display?
3d-wanna-b is offline Find More Posts by 3d-wanna-b
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Hi wanna-b,
From the questions I am not sure how much experience you have so I will take a guess at answers.

The HW Pentium ESC's may/ may not work it might be worth doing a search on them, alternatively someone may chime in who has them. Esc's are quite different and some types may work where others don't.

Set up each individual ESC for throttle response with your transmitter before joining them all to the control board.

The prop size will depend on... weight of tri, the amount of amps the motor and ESC's can stand and the spacing between props.

A rule of thumb is... if the prop is 10 inches then allow 10 inches spacing between the props as a minimum. If the arms are longer and give greater spacing then the tri could be more stable. Try it and see if it flies the way you want.

The arms on my quads are 15 inches long from the centre of the quad, using 10 inch props these are O.K. Longer would probably still be O.K.

I seem to remember the arms on my tri were also about 15 inches. Easy to do.... draw out the shape of your tri on a large sheet of paper. Draw 10 inch circles centered on each motor shaft and you can then see the spacing between each prop when it's spinning. Do this before cutting the arms to length and you won't have a problem.

I suggest you buy a wattmeter so you can see how many amps are being drawn by your motor and prop combination. Without a wattmeter you are fumbling about in the dark !

If it was me then I would probably buy a KK board rather than seperate gyros. I do however use wii motion plus controllers on my quads as they give amazing control.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
706 Posts
Now that I'm back, I just wanted to say what a pain in the butt it was to try and carry all my gear from the hotel to the beach and back. It was only a 5 minute walk but the return trip took about 2 hrs for a 5 minute flight. 1 bag for TX and GoPro, 1 heavy tripod, 1 box for dismantled h-copter, spare batteries, Video gear and batteries, fatsharks, tools to assemble the quad.....
In my mind I can see all this incorporated in a backpack made from ultra light core flute. The mast could slot into the top. Lots of little compartments for all the rest of the bits like the transmitter, batteries and glasses. Quad strapped to the back with quick foldable legs. Everything is pre connected and ready to go with a flick of a switch...

Anyone come across an easy ground station setup like that ??
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:36 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Now that I'm back, I just wanted to say what a pain in the butt it was to try and carry all my gear from the hotel to the beach and back. It was only a 5 minute walk but the return trip took about 2 hrs for a 5 minute flight. 1 bag for TX and GoPro, 1 heavy tripod, 1 box for dismantled h-copter, spare batteries, Video gear and batteries, fatsharks, tools to assemble the quad.....
In my mind I can see all this incorporated in a backpack made from ultra light core flute. The mast could slot into the top. Lots of little compartments for all the rest of the bits like the transmitter, batteries and glasses. Quad strapped to the back with quick foldable legs. Everything is pre connected and ready to go with a flick of a switch...

Anyone come across an easy ground station setup like that ??
Perhaps a converted golf caddy or the like, something with wheels that you can just wheel behind you
...oh and one of these then you'll blend right in !!

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349426106.297669.jpg
Views: 112
Size: 58.8 KB
Description:
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:44 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
Perhaps a converted golf caddy or the like, something with wheels that you can just wheel behind you
...oh and one of these then you'll blend right in !!
Change into a swimming costume first though. That way you won't look any different to everyone else on the beach.

What about a heavy lift multirotor to transport all the gear ?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:17 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,401 Posts
How does he use the head tracker??
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:11 PM View Post
FPVSCRacer
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while FPVSCRacer edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:30 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVSCRacer View Post
Hello RC Groups members,

This is my submission for a video contest sponsored by the Temecula Wine Growers Association:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_2UOII8XrA

In the video, I utilize RC aerial shots (which I'm sure you all will appreciate), timelapse, interviews and beautiful scenic shots of the valley and all it has to offer.

I'm calling upon the support of my fellow rc enthusiasts to help me win. Please take two minutes to watch my video. If you like it, can you please leave a comment and vote for it here:
http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/...tries/58503087

Thank you,
Will
At work right now but will, no pun, have look later ;-)
Did you do the aerials ?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:34 PM
Rubbin's Racin
USA, Murrieta, California
Joined Oct 2010
341 Posts
Yes, I did it all. Thank you for the support.
www.aerialphotoworx.com
FPVSCRacer is offline Find More Posts by FPVSCRacer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Sometimes fpvin in the yard is not the best

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349847718.624214.jpg
Views: 130
Size: 218.5 KB
Description:
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 5219751
Talk about grow your own !
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:48 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 5219751
looks like a fairly soft landing place. (not for props)
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:32 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Talk about grow your own !
Weeds just love that volcanic soil and tricopters. .....salt water is about 800mtrs away .....
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,401 Posts
Could I have some seeds from that plant??
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa