HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,475 Posts
My HCity order has shipped. I just made a new lower frame so that I can attach my Askman camera mount. I'll take pictures tonight after dinner.
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:14 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,038 Posts
Hey Bob - Yes I put the camera on it today and got some forward flight - still having issues with trimming - Near the end of my flight I had a crash that broke the tail boom - kinda nice to run to the table saw and make a new one - I am working on the video now - Thanks

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:57 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
The GYROS!! Don't get any other gyros unless you want to end up with a pile of them that don't work with speed controls. I know, I have a pile. The speed controls would be next. Get the SS or turnigy. If you have three castles already, use those.

If you order what I have listed, and follow the plans, your tricopter WILL fly just like mine does. Ask Mike, he'll tell ya'

Bob D
Hi Bob D, thanks a lot for your helpful answers.

Ok the gyros are critical and they are the most expensive component. I have to take into consideration.

Another idea: for indoors flying would it be possible to design a bumper frame around the tricopter to prevent the props stiking people or stationary objects.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:12 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhost View Post
On the Gyros, I alreadfy have one TeleBee on hand and happend to order 2 of Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock Gyro's before the Tricopter bug hit. Will they work or do I need more Telebees's? They are still in transit from HK so I can't test them.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...ead_Lock_Gyro_
I don't know if they'll work. When you get them tell us. I wish I had a better answer. Out of all the gyros I tested the telebees are the best, gws pg-03 is second, and nothing else I had worked.

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:15 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Hi Bob D, thanks a lot for your helpful answers.

Ok the gyros are critical and they are the most expensive component. I have to take into consideration.

Another idea: for indoors flying would it be possible to design a bumper frame around the tricopter to prevent the props stiking people or stationary objects.
I had thought about a bumper too. If you extend the arms a couple inches past the prop arc, then use 1/8" carbon or fiberglass rod to join all the arms in a big circle. It should work, and not weight too much.

Bob D
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:16 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Hey Bob - Yes I put the camera on it today and got some forward flight - still having issues with trimming - Near the end of my flight I had a crash that broke the tail boom - kinda nice to run to the table saw and make a new one - I am working on the video now - Thanks

Mike
cool, can't wait to see it.

Bob D
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
553 Posts
Bob- Thanks for taking the time to detail the build and help everybody. I had seen the multis in the past but always thought they were too "rinkydink" to be useful. Thanks for showing what is possible!

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is offline Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:20 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Whohoo I just won an Esky - EK2-0704 Gyro for 11.99 shipped brand new -
Mike
Please, may I ask where did you find this great deal? I would like to partake also. lol
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
It will slide out of the sky if you don't fly the tail. The tail will not follow the nose like an airplane. You must constantly use rudder ( tail motor yaw) to keep the tail behind the tricopter. This is the same for helicopters. You can add a large fin, that will lighten the workload a bit.

Bob D
thank you Bob. Please, don't get me wrong here, the Y-UFO Flies very well in the Simulator, this was just an observation made.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:41 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,038 Posts
Ebay is where I found the gyro - I was going to post some video - but man it would make you sea sick -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:11 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,485 Posts
signguy, I saw on one of the other threads that you angled the motors to counter the prop torque, do you still do that, and if so please elaborate.
Thanks for sharing your design, and all the help you are offering here.
Dave
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:02 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
signguy, I saw on one of the other threads that you angled the motors to counter the prop torque, do you still do that, and if so please elaborate.
Thanks for sharing your design, and all the help you are offering here.
Dave
No, I don't angle the motors any more. It was just an experiment that wasn't worth the effort. The rear motor is tilted to counter torque, thats all that is needed.

Bob D
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:19 AM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,485 Posts
Quote:
No, I don't angle the motors any more. It was just an experiment that wasn't worth the effort. The rear motor is tilted to counter torque, thats all that is needed.

Bob D
Thanks signguy, that's what I like, the KISS method. Always makes things easier.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
First off - another huge thanks for the thread here!! Never really got involved w/helis but have read a lot of threads on the tri-copters before. They always sounded too difficult to set up; some requiring specially constructed boards/etc... This one looks to be the simplest I have found - as well as cheap to do!! Gotta add this one to my build que.

Just a few quick questions I gleemed out of reading through here... I could have sworn I read someplace in this thread about using a 'reversed' prop on one of the motors? Maybe it was in a different thread though. Regardless - does one of the motors need to turn opposite the others? That would make sense to me (I think)...

There was also something mentioned on the props running in different planes? Was that a design issue or should they actually be in different planes?
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF View Post
First off - another huge thanks for the thread here!! Never really got involved w/helis but have read a lot of threads on the tri-copters before. They always sounded too difficult to set up; some requiring specially constructed boards/etc... This one looks to be the simplest I have found - as well as cheap to do!! Gotta add this one to my build que.

Just a few quick questions I gleemed out of reading through here... I could have sworn I read someplace in this thread about using a 'reversed' prop on one of the motors? Maybe it was in a different thread though. Regardless - does one of the motors need to turn opposite the others? That would make sense to me (I think)...

There was also something mentioned on the props running in different planes? Was that a design issue or should they actually be in different planes?
No need to run one prop the other way, it will limit your prop choices more than any gain in efficiency will be worth. The props running in the same plane, was me talking about a prop I had that was balanced, but still shook like it was out of balance. When viewed while running from the side, one blade was tracking higher than the other ( as if it had more pitch ) . It was probably bent slightly in a crash, and went unnoticed.

Get lots of extra props, and maybe an extra motor ( cheap enough )

Have fun

Bob D