SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, MA, Swansea
Joined Oct 2009
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Joao and Ian any videos ??

Hey I'm having problems keeping my quad in a hover, its just too sensitive with the throttle. I will post my first FPV attempt soon and you will see what I mean.

Is there anything I can do with the KK, or maybe end point adjustment on the Tx ? Looks like dual rate and expo is not available
I too am having this issue. My radio is set up for Acro mode so I loose throttle curve/expo. If I use Heli mode then I have access to all that.

Anyone know why you HAVE to run the radio in Acro mode?
WhiteFox50 is offline Find More Posts by WhiteFox50
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox50 View Post
I too am having this issue. My radio is set up for Acro mode so I loose throttle curve/expo. If I use Heli mode then I have access to all that.

Anyone know why you HAVE to run the radio in Acro mode?
What works for me but there is probably a better way of doing it is to lower the EPA of the top half of the throttle to approx 45%.
Like I say their is probably a better way.
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old May 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
You do not have to run the radio on acro mode. Using acro mode simplifies things a bit for beginners, but you can get more control over things like throttle curve if you use heli mode.

Just make sure you disable mixes like revo, and set your radio to 1-servo (or 90degree) and not CCPM.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old May 22, 2012, 05:50 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,083 Posts
Programming KK board

I'm attempting to program a KK board, ver. 5.5, using AVR Studio 5.1 and an AVR USB ISP interface board. Everything goes as expected until I am asked to choose a source file. The program is expecting a .elf file. The only files I can find ver. 1.6 firmware is in .hex format. What am I doing wrong, and/or where can I find a .elf file?

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old May 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
I'm attempting to program a KK board, ver. 5.5, using AVR Studio 5.1 and an AVR USB ISP interface board. Everything goes as expected until I am asked to choose a source file. The program is expecting a .elf file. The only files I can find ver. 1.6 firmware is in .hex format. What am I doing wrong, and/or where can I find a .elf file?

Later;

D.W.
Check out my Flashing KK video at jbalatutube
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Old May 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2009
574 Posts
I finally got some time (and calm air) to fly my Tricopter last wekeend while camping. It was flying great and had it pretty much dialed-in until I decided to try fly around a bit, got confused, paniced, and put it hard into the ground - breaking one of the arms.

I had three battery packs all charged up and ready to spend the afternoon flying my tricopter, but broke it about 5 minutes into the first pack. oh well... need to spend more time on the sim I guess...

One thing I noticed is that I don't have a lot of yaw speed, since the travel of the yaw servo is limited by the way I've set-up my yaw mechanism. I think I'm going to have to find a way to increase the range of tilt. It's okay for small heading adjustments, it just won't do a nice quick spin which would be better while flying in small areas.
aero_k is offline Find More Posts by aero_k
Old May 22, 2012, 08:18 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Hi Group!
I want to share this video that i film with my tricopter in my last vacation to Nuevo Vallarta beach.
Nuevo Vallarta Nayarit Mexico 2 (3 min 51 sec)
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Last edited by jfcomg; May 22, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Check out my Flashing KK video at jbalatutube
Thanks. I've already tried that and the cmd file will not run on my system. That's why I'm trying it with avr studio.

Later;

D.W.
Old May 23, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Feb 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
Thanks. I've already tried that and the cmd file will not run on my system. That's why I'm trying it with avr studio.

Later;

D.W.
Have you installed Java ?
Old May 23, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Feb 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcomg View Post
Hi Group!
I want to share this video that i film with my tricopter in my last vacation to Nuevo Vallarta beach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1jQs39mjAM
Wow that's some high flying !!
Old May 23, 2012, 05:11 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcro View Post
You do not have to run the radio on acro mode. Using acro mode simplifies things a bit for beginners, but you can get more control over things like throttle curve if you use heli mode.

Just make sure you disable mixes like revo, and set your radio to 1-servo (or 90degree) and not CCPM.
Setting up a tricopter in heli mode instead of acro is one of the best things you can do to improve handling. Most radios dont have an adjustable throttle curve for acro mixes but it is very important for smooth steady hovering, take-offs and landings. Thats not to say it cant be done with a linear throttle, its just a bit harder and a small stick movements can cause big changes in altitude. All the KK guides say to setup in acro and I think this is wrong and part of the reason noobies have troubles flying their first tricopter.

This is how I was taught to setup a throttle curve:
(first of all take note of what mattcro said about channel mixes, check your servo monitor page for no channel binding before you proceed)

- put the heli in 0% throttle hold.
- hold the heli and slowly increase the hold % until it feels light and ready to hover.
- take note of this figure, it should be somewhere between 40-60% (this is also a good test to see if your power to weight ratio ie. motor/prop combo is suitable for the flying weight - ideally 50%)
- set this figure as the mid point of your throttle curve.
- set position 2 10% lower.
- set position 4 10% higher.
- set position 5 30% higher.
- leave position 1 at 0%.

So your throttle curve should look something like 0,40,50,60,80. Fly it, hover it, make sure your hover is still around mid stick, test full throttle, and recovery power from fast descents and adjust if necessary. Note that these values will be different when comparing a fully charged lipo to a run down one so its a good idea to up all your values by about 2% so you still have a nice curve as the pack runs down.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old May 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Yes.

D.W.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Yes. However it does not seem to be working. If I type 'java' into a command line, it comes back with "java is not recognized". Maybe I should try deleting and then reloading java.

Later;

D.W.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
If you can't use the LazyZero tool (make sure you have the correct Java type for your system, 32 or 64bit) then you can use AVRStudio to flash a HEX file.

Just use the "Flash" section of the programming dialog, where you can specify the HEX file to use. Make sure you have "Erase device before flash programming" checked. Thsi will also erase your EEPROM (so you lose gyro reversing etc) unless you program the EESAVE fuse.

LazyZero's tool takes care of all this stuff, including getting the firmware files, so see if you can get that working.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old May 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Ok guys, here is the proof that Ian was really here in Germany

We made a couple flights together and we had great fun setting up models and flying them.. Here are a couple of videos. I think Ian might have a few more...

Joćo
Outstanding! Looks like great fun!
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible