HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:24 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faheja View Post
So put the trim in the middle and shoot it straight up as fast as i can? So you're saying regardless of the trim it should go straight up right?
I have a set of new motors, diff. ones though. This weekend i'll put those on and see if it makes any difference. I think you're right..It HAS to be one motor not being able to withstand the other two.

Just ordered 3 new motors for spare anyway. Will try all new motors and see if it still does it
Just guessing, is it anything to do with the lowpass filter setting ?
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faheja View Post
So put the trim in the middle and shoot it straight up as fast as i can? So you're saying regardless of the trim it should go straight up right?
I have a set of new motors, diff. ones though. This weekend i'll put those on and see if it makes any difference. I think you're right..It HAS to be one motor not being able to withstand the other two.

Just ordered 3 new motors for spare anyway. Will try all new motors and see if it still does it
I had similar issue that was resolved with the transmitter stick centering. I fly a flysky ER9X and with everything balance on the CG I was getting a forward and left drift. Stick centering showed that with neutral trims my sticks were forward and left. Once I centered them in the software in the transmitter, I was golden, no more drifts.
If there was something wrong with the motor or ESC it would be much more dodgy. If the ESC throttle range was wrong you would get a more drastic effect.
My Thoughts,H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
Some of the KK board trim or stick centre problems may be due to the KK board's AVR processor clock. This is a simple internal oscillator that has fairly loose tolerance and the clock frequency can be off by several percent, leading to incorrect stick position measurement. On my HK KK 2.1 board with KK v1.6 firmware, the firmware thinks my sticks are centred (1500us) when my TX/RX actually put out 1465us pulses.

I've got the mechanical CoG about right, but to make it hover nicely I need about 24 ticks of subtrim forward elev, left aile and left rudd (70% travel, 100% rate, 20% expo) on my DX6i, only because the board is "misinterpreting" the stick positions.

This is a fair bit of permanent correction, and requires subtrim (not trim) to shift the entire stick output to match what the KK board expects. I use a couple of clicks of trim to compensate for small amounts of drift.

The "correct" solution is to tweak the processor's clock oscillator frequency in software, which requires a couple of extra lines of code and a bit of trial and error. The oscillator is actually calibrated to within a few percent during manufacture, but this is at 3V supply. At 5V supply (like the KK board uses) the oscillator actually runs a bit fast, but it also varies a bit with temperature.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,928 Posts
Hadn't flown a tri for quite some time as I normally use a couple of quads.
Decided it was time I built another tri for old times sake.

This is a video of the maiden flight which took place some time ago.

Flying with just a basic wii motion plus setup. It also has accelerometer and magnetometer but these were switched off for the first flights.

Flew the tri several times and then......... took it apart and decided to make a folding quad !
It was very stable, especially with auto level and heading hold but...... I just like quads more.

I guess it's an age thing !

http://vimeo.com/41210412
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Search of down plane

Chipped a prop on the first flight...sorry for the jello
I have flown slope for many years in a small town of Fults Illinois. The hill is a Bluff, and as you can see every hill in the Mid West is covered with trees. Two weeks ago my buddy and I were racing our slopers on the hill. We collided on a turn. I was able to fly it out down to the farm land. My buddy flew off back into the hill. We spent several hours looking for his plane. I went back with the FPV Tricopter for a search of it, and had some fun.
If your interested in slope soaring check out my video #64 "Nose into the wind"

FPV FULTS (4 min 11 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
845 Posts
Nice videos. I just bought a speedo from r2hobbies looking forward to some sloping soon. Some really high flying with the Tricopter, you must have nerves of steel !
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Chipped a prop on the first flight...sorry for the jello
I have flown slope for many years in a small town of Fults Illinois. The hill is a Bluff, and as you can see every hill in the Mid West is covered with trees. Two weeks ago my buddy and I were racing our slopers on the hill. We collided on a turn. I was able to fly it out down to the farm land. My buddy flew off back into the hill. We spent several hours looking for his plane. I went back with the FPV Tricopter for a search of it, and had some fun.
If your interested in slope soaring check out my video #64 "Nose into the wind"

http://vimeo.com/41267081
That video looks good. Did you get that focus issue sorted or is this pre issue time
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old May 01, 2012, 01:08 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Nice videos. I just bought a speedo from r2hobbies looking forward to some sloping soon. Some really high flying with the Tricopter, you must have nerves of steel !
LOL!
I love flying that high, I wish sometimes I would slow down some and take in the view a little longer. I was a little over a mile out at times, and 600' - 800'. I use the Skylark AAT tracker with Trace OSD. There was a group buy, and I was able to get it for 100.00 discount and free shipping. It's been nice to work with so far.
http://www.skylarkfpv.com/store/inde...&product_id=71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
That video looks good. Did you get that focus issue sorted or is this pre issue time
The one that is giving me issue's is my oldest Go Pro with sunnex lens. My wife gave me the Go Pro 2 as my Birthday, Valentines, and Anniversary gift. She works at Target and was able to get her discount. The Go Pro 2 sure has some nice clarity to it. Easier to work with, with the extra features.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
I have started to build a tricopter now and I received my Hobbyking v2 board today.

When about to flash the firmware there were a lot of options and I wonder which one to pick. Is it v1.6 or v2.5? or maybe another version?

Here is a screenshot showing some of the options:
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan
Old May 04, 2012, 08:31 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
I used KapteinKuk 1.6 and had gyro reversing issues with 2.5 Kr-XX. 1.6 is easy to set up and configure. flies great.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old May 04, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
845 Posts
While we are at it which one do you recommend for xcopter hkss25 esc's ?
I had issues with kk4.7, I have loaded minsoo 2.5 but haven't fired it up yet
Old May 05, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2011
845 Posts
Just as I thought I finished my tricopter I broke the servo arm. I decided to rip the servo out which was really struggling in there and add another motor.

Hopefully it will work as a Y4

UPDATED Sunday 6-May...........
Guys if you can have a look and recommend what I have done wrong here. The Y4 did not want to fly
Like I said I lowered my P values down to 3 because I was getting some oscillations at 4.2. Not sure if I went to low or whether there are other factors at work here?. Maybe arms are too short (about 29cm) BTW I really hate to rear prop being so close to the ground.
Failed attempt at MultiWii Y4, P Value too low (0 min 45 sec)
Last edited by jbalat; May 06, 2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2005
934 Posts
There has been a lot of time since this thread was started. Does anyone have a updated list of Hobby King parts that are most current and proven?
GallopingGhost is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhost
Old May 06, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
187 Posts
Well, I have gathered all of my parts almost, waiting on some to be shipped, and here is my list of things, I hope I chose wisely
3x 30A ESC's
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mystery...s-34338?item=6
3x 2830-8 motors
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...0&productname=
5.5 KK Blackboard with usb programmer,
3x 1/2" basswood square rods from hobby lobby
1x 12g TP metal gear servo
10x 8/32 bolts with lock nuts from home depot
rcexplorer cnc cut body from rcgroups.
tarheal63 is offline Find More Posts by tarheal63
Old May 06, 2012, 11:27 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,087 Posts
Did everyone find the best esc placement was on the arms near the hub? Was FPV EMI any challenge. Any alternate designs that work well?

Also, what color schemes did you find optimal for orientation?
I imagine 3 colors each for arms, plus maybe top/bottom differentiation, such as black bars on the bottom.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy