Cheers
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,775 Posts
Just a not on Balance. A really good idea is to get your copter flight ready, batteries and all and do a balance test. This can be done pretty easily.

If you have electronics on the top, then spin the copter over and put a screw right on the centre that is strong enough to hold the weight. Then tie some string to the screw and hang the copter from something. This will give you an exact indication of where the weight is being distributed. Keep making changes to where things sit until you get it as close to the centre as possible.

If you haven't got electronics on top, then put the screw in the top. If you can't screw into your frame, or don't want to, then try balancing the copter on something right in the middle.

Its quick, cheap and easy.

Just make sure you have your battery and camera gear etc onboard, or you will throw it out later when you add them.
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, CA, Laguna Hills
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
Probably not the cable dude. Swap your motors around from arm to arm and see if it follows.
Do the same with your esc's. What esc are you using ? What motors ?
Check you have no sue trims on your mix that you dont know about.is your radio calibrated at mid stick ?

Just some things to think about

using sunnysky 980kv motors, 10x4.5 props, 18 turnigy plush esc's. Radio is rds8000, and i have mixing turned off, set and set to 0. Just always has that tiny bit of tilt. I bought a new set up motors that i will try tonight on it to see if it makes a difference. Don't know why it would but anything can be possible.
faheja is offline Find More Posts by faheja
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
CoG ok? Motors , Props, escs samebrand and free from binding etc? I'm using firmware 1.1 kk with all same rotation props. Gyro problems wouldnt cause a continual lean like that, you'd be getting jerking etc
Maybe your model's yaw and roll are not trimmed properly?
CoG is perfect. I have to keep it trimmed all the way to the right to make it JUST about perfect. Still a dot of drift to the left though. Just don't understand why i'd need to have it set up like that.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
right now on my blackboard 5.5 i have version 1.5. Is v1.6 a lot better?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faheja View Post
CoG is perfect. I have to keep it trimmed all the way to the right to make it JUST about perfect. Still a dot of drift to the left though. Just don't understand why i'd need to have it set up like that.
Have you calibrated the ESCs?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,022 Posts
Both CoG perfect both for pitch and roll?
Picture? Flight video?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Have you calibrated the ESCs?
Yep, Esc's are calibrated
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Both CoG perfect both for pitch and roll?
Picture? Flight video?
Picture and flight video coming!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bstpa...ature=youtu.be
At 30 seconds i let go of the sticks. Hovers pretty good in one spot. Would like that extra click of trim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBjzY...ature=youtu.be
at 16 seconds i let go and you can see it shoots to the left and forward. I have the trim on this video set to the middle on my TX.

Pictures
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63...g?t=1335495801
&
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63...g?t=1335495792

Any ideas?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Have you switched the motors and escs around to see if the problem follows the change. I have had bad motors before that just wont stand up to he other two. Take it outside and goose the power. If it shoots up strait the motors should be good. If it wants to roll hard to that side then the motor may be bad.
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdiver View Post
Have you switched the motors and escs around to see if the problem follows the change. I have had bad motors before that just wont stand up to he other two. Take it outside and goose the power. If it shoots up strait the motors should be good. If it wants to roll hard to that side then the motor may be bad.

So put the trim in the middle and shoot it straight up as fast as i can? So you're saying regardless of the trim it should go straight up right?
I have a set of new motors, diff. ones though. This weekend i'll put those on and see if it makes any difference. I think you're right..It HAS to be one motor not being able to withstand the other two.

Just ordered 3 new motors for spare anyway. Will try all new motors and see if it still does it
Last edited by faheja; Apr 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:54 PM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
So put the trim in the middle and shoot it straight up as fast as i can? So you're saying regardless of the trim it should go straight up right?
I have a set of new motors, diff. ones though. This weekend i'll put those on and see if it makes any difference. I think you're right..It HAS to be one motor not being able to withstand the other two.

Just ordered 3 new motors for spare anyway. Will try all new motors and see if it still does it
Well get it trimmed up so it is flying as level as possible. If its wanting to roll to the left without trimming it I would think it would want to roll really hard left at high power. Try switching to motors around though, and then try switching the esc around. Isolate the problem component and replace it.
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,775 Posts
My only other advice is to fly outside. There is going to be a hello of a lot of backwash in that room. Get it out in the open air - see if that makes a difference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:

I wouldn't do that. I often have to give it a little test lift to make sure everything is lifting squarely. Some times the first lift-off is a little skewed. One arm lifts a little harder than the others. I just give it a little bit of stick to correct it and and land. Then I can lift-off straight up. I don't use ACCs, just multiwii with original WMP.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible