HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Sep 2011
165 Posts
I just completed my first Tcopter build, based on the same dimentions as the rcexplorer v2.5.

I have a problem with the servo (HD-1810MG from HK). It does not appear to go back to centre properly, and also it seems to be "crawling" in one direction with no stick input.

Could RF interference from the esc power cables cause this? Some other remedy perhaps?
Crazy1 is offline Find More Posts by Crazy1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
165 Posts
Almost forgot. I'm using a MultiRC KK 5.5 and HW 25A esc's
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:14 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy1 View Post
I just completed my first Tcopter build, based on the same dimentions as the rcexplorer v2.5.

I have a problem with the servo (HD-1810MG from HK). It does not appear to go back to centre properly, and also it seems to be "crawling" in one direction with no stick input.

Could RF interference from the esc power cables cause this? Some other remedy perhaps?
Does it do the same when you plug it directly to the receiver?
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,679 Posts
Quote:

This could well be normal
the Tail Gyro is normally in "Heading Hold Mode"
It won't return to centre unless the Tri is flying.

To test the servo, as jhsa said
plug it direct to the Rx.
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Sep 2011
165 Posts
I'll have a look. It only starts to move once all the motors are turning. When the throttle is cut its dead stil.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:06 AM
Assault the sky
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
sounds exactly like heading-hold to me. When the servo takes about a minute to get to full deflection, your gain is set correctly.
secretspy711 is offline Find More Posts by secretspy711
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
165 Posts
The servo is 100% when plugged directly into the receiver.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
165 Posts
What does it mean? To get full deflection? Sorry, my English is fairly good, but not 100%. What should or shouldn't happen after about a minute?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
X-Ikarus
Joined Feb 2003
1,679 Posts
Quote:
I'll have a look. It only starts to move once all the motors are turning. When the throttle is cut its dead stil.
You most likely have a Vibration issue then
The vibration is upsetting the Gyro
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
Poway, CA USA
Joined May 2001
197 Posts
Quote:
I believe that is how it's supposed to be, mine is that way. The yaw servo doesn't respond to the stick movements until the motors are armed and above a certain minimum rpm. I fly mine that way and it works fine. Kirk.
atckirk is offline Find More Posts by atckirk
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
[QUOTE=BigJimNZ;20578964]Couple of pics of the anti vibe camera mount for you Sparklet
Might give you some ideas for yours

Thanks for the great photos Jim.
That saves me reinventing the wheel !
It looks a neat idea and should work well for what I want.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Hey guys after 3 hrs of dredging the lake I finally hooked my tricopter !!

As you can see from the picture it was a failed rear prop that caused the crash. Rear motor is stuffed and servo has a stripped gear.

Everything was placed in distilled water and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner spray.. Still drying in the garage so hopefully most of the gear still works (pls??)

Assuming the GoPro works I will need to somehow clean the inside of the lens or replace it. and a new battery of course.. Any tips/links welcome here...

I did manage the get the sd card going and downloaded the footage from the ill fated flight. It was very windy but as you can see I was having a great time out there enjoying the scenery..

(it is un-edited so you will need to go to 43 seconds for takeoff)
Brilliant! Way to stick with the SAR. We just saved my wife's toileted phone by submerging in uncooked rice for about 24 hrs. Maybe you can do the same with the camera after you get the lens off. The rice will absorb any moisture that may still be under ICs. Your ESCs may also be salvageable, if it was fresh water. Fresh water isn't as conductive as brackish or salt water. Strip the heat shrink off and bury them in rice. Motors should be good.

PS. You may be able to speed up the drying by dipping in rubbing alcohol. Alcohol will not hurt anything. (not so sure about the CCD on camera) It will force out any water and dry itself. After that, bury it in the rice.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Last edited by mr.incredible; Jan 30, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:42 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:

I had a similar issue but it straightens it self out while flying.
As long as the gyro is correct and you make sure your motor is pointing straight up when the props are turning you shouldn't have a problem. I tested then realigned the servo and motor and had no issues since.
Good luck
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
So I've been running my tricopter a lot in the cold this winter and I've found some tricks to keep it running well. Thought some of you guys in colder climates might be interested. I use a KK Blackboard with 2.5. Turnigy Plush ESCs, Park 480 motors and a 4000mh 3 Cell.
1) The tri, board and other electronics don't need to be insulated. Insulating just causes the temperature to creep down more slowly but won't take out the gyro drift. Just like all gyros I find if you let the board cool down to temperature you get much less drift. However in very cold temps I find that if I run up the motors at about 25% power for a minute or two the board heats back up and will drift again. So I just unplug and replug then I'm good to go.
2) If it is really cold (below 0 F) the ESCs may not arm. The throttle endpoints need to be reset by turning the yaw gain to zero, starting with full throttle and waiting for the beeps before zeroing the throttle. The throttle endpoints are now good for any temp ABOVE that temp. If it gets colder it needs to be reset again.
3) Big temp changes (going inside to outside then back in) cause hardware to back out quicker. Even with threadlock all the expanding and contracting can cause nuts and bolts to back out so as always give a good preflight.
4) GoPro battery doesn't last as long
5) Interestingly I still get about 12-15 minutes out of a battery. Even though it is cold and the battery charge doesn't last as long my theory is that the increased performance in the dense air offsets this.

So after a rough start to this winter we are now flying our tricopters routinely in -20F and below. The coldest flight so far has been -55F and the thing is a champ. I'm really loving it up here and if I didn't have my tricopter to tinker with I would probably go insane. Video to come
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
X-Ikarus
Joined Feb 2003
1,679 Posts
Question . If you went insane ............ would you know ?