HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:40 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinthesky View Post
Hi Big Jim and all. What kind of shop has the silicon tube for vibration isolation? On eBay there's lots of "vacuum" silicon tube for cars, would that work?
Like the good Capt said. Medical grade tube is pretty much what I use. It can be found on peristalsis
pumps.
I got real about 10 meters left from a clean out at work.
It's about 10-12 diameter x about 1.5 wall.
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
BigjimNZ I just joined your elite club. You guys aren't going to believe this but I just lost my tri.. Yep lost it all GoPro, FPV, the lot !!!!! I was so looking forward to this trip and now my pride and joy is at the bottom of the lake
The Last Tricopter FPV Flight (2 min 30 sec)
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:28 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
BigjimNZ I just joined your elite club. You guys aren't going to believe this but I just lost my tri.. Yep lost it all GoPro, FPV, the lot !!!!! I was so looking forward to this trip and now my pride and joy is at the bottom of the lake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX57yLOVV-A

Sorry for your loss. That really hard, especially since it looked like it wasent too far from shore. That had to be frustrating.

But also a good lesson to others. It wouldnt have taken much time to strap on a piece of foam to your tri and save you a bit of time and heartache. Piloting a non-buyant $400+ r/c craft over open water is a bit of a risk.

BTW- any guess as to what went wrong? ESC cutout? Dead Battery?
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
Thanks for you condolences..

Im still trying to come to terms with losing all my gear. Something as simple as attaching a piece of styrofoam would have made all the difference.

I just got so confident over the last few fpv flights I forgot that trying to defy gravity with 3 rotors is like a time bomb that could go off at any time...

I suspect maybe the rear ESC blew and caused a short because I also lost video at the same time. I guess we will never know ??

As you said the tri fell only 10-15 meters or so from the shore but visibility was less than a meter and the lake bed drops off very rapidly. So much so I would swim down for a while but could not touch the bottom nor even see where the bottom was. Unless I was standing on it I dont think I would have found it. One idea I had was to cast out a lead weight and hook along the lake bed then draw it back to shore ? Im not sure how much value it would be to try and recover it anyway. I didnt even have the waterproof case on the GoPro (bugger)...

If that sd-card ever turns up I swear it was the most awesome fpv footage you would ever see !!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Sep 2009
25 Posts
Jbalat - ouch, got to hurt, I hope you can come back from that.

Thanks BigJim and Capt for the details on the tube, I think I can find it now.

Next question - I started getting bits for my tri way back, based on the signguy BOM on post 1 or 2, including the 401B gyros and the non programmable SS ESCs . Then I left the project aside for 18 months. Coming back I saw the HK KK controller was cheap so I got one, and I've built a frame from rc-explorer.com. But - I am stuffed if I can get the throttle calibration to take, either via the FC or doing it one by one directly. The motors still start at different throttle stick levels and even look to be different speeds, at low throttle levels. I can see a few threads in various places about similar problems with the non-programmable SS ESCs. I'm thinking I should just replace them with a better set of ESCs? Just about talked myself into it, but the delay is annoying, and all the obvious options at hobbyking seem to be on back order, I guess due to Chinese new year.
flyinthesky is offline Find More Posts by flyinthesky
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for your lost jabalat
The psicological damege it's the most dificult part of the situation, i lost ones a fpv plane . I know exactly how it feels.
Maybe you can try, contacting a diving school and they can help you
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:

Aaarrghh....no mate. I know exactly how you feel.

I'm gutted along with you brother. It's not a nice club to belong to and the subscriptions very large.

Sad day
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for you condolences..

Im still trying to come to terms with losing all my gear. Something as simple as attaching a piece of styrofoam would have made all the difference.

I just got so confident over the last few fpv flights I forgot that trying to defy gravity with 3 rotors is like a time bomb that could go off at any time...

I suspect maybe the rear ESC blew and caused a short because I also lost video at the same time. I guess we will never know ??

As you said the tri fell only 10-15 meters or so from the shore but visibility was less than a meter and the lake bed drops off very rapidly. So much so I would swim down for a while but could not touch the bottom nor even see where the bottom was. Unless I was standing on it I dont think I would have found it. One idea I had was to cast out a lead weight and hook along the lake bed then draw it back to shore ? Im not sure how much value it would be to try and recover it anyway. I didnt even have the waterproof case on the GoPro (bugger)...

If that sd-card ever turns up I swear it was the most awesome fpv footage you would ever see !!
I feel for you man. I haven't had a complete loss yet (knock wood) I will not fly near water. Murphy loves water. If something can go wrong, water will multiply that chance. Just like golfing, if there is water around, the ball will find it. It did look to be a smooth flight right up until the loss.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
Thanks guys.. perfect day for flying tricopters outside today
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,847 Posts
Sorry for your loss jbalat. I guess that just something you have to prepare yourself for when flying fpv multi-rotors - there are so many things that can go wrong.

On a brighter note if you want to buy a RTF tricopter ive got one for sale
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=385
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys.. perfect day for flying tricopters outside today
I have been thinking about recording my video at the base station.
Need to see what the video is like from the RCV922 camera then find a portable
DV recorder
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
Groton NH USA
Joined Feb 2002
238 Posts
Off topic plus....

Oh dude now that really sucks losing a machine that way. I am used to trees and buildings and heavier than usual gravity fields but water???? dam

off topic
I dont really like my HK401B gyros so I am going to switch for something else for my tri build, can I at least use these for airplanes or delta wings or anything else? They are too
twitchy for me to trust to a heli or tri.

Thanks in advance
Toywizard is offline Find More Posts by Toywizard
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
I have been thinking about recording my video at the base station.
Need to see what the video is like from the RCV922 camera then find a portable
DV recorder
Funny Ian I was thinking the same thing and save on buying another GoPro until the gopro3 comes out just so I can one-up everyone haha..

Btw my hk gyros are just sitting back in the garage now, I won't do another multi wii, the v3 hk kk board is out now
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:10 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toywizard View Post
Oh dude now that really sucks losing a machine that way. I am used to trees and buildings and heavier than usual gravity fields but water???? dam

off topic
I dont really like my HK401B gyros so I am going to switch for something else for my tri build, can I at least use these for airplanes or delta wings or anything else? They are too
twitchy for me to trust to a heli or tri.

Thanks in advance
The 401B's are quite adequate for a heli etc. There a few in use at the field where I fly and I have also used them on 450 builds
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Funny Ian I was thinking the same thing and save on buying another GoPro until the gopro3 comes out just so I can one-up everyone haha..

Btw my hk gyros are just sitting back in the garage now, I won't do another multi wii, the v3 hk kk board is out now
I wonder what is different on this board compared to the V2 ?
If you find a good portable recorder please let me know