HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:58 PM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Thanks for the radio advice.

Got another question. I was gonna order the 18amp Turngiy Plush esc's, but hobbyking is out of stock. Can anybody recommended me another esc that could work out and is hopefully in stock at hobbyking?
I have Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs on mine. I run Park 480s and it is a rocket. It's a bit overkill but if they are in stock they are only a couple bucks more expensive.
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdiver View Post
I have Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs on mine. I run Park 480s and it is a rocket. It's a bit overkill but if they are in stock they are only a couple bucks more expensive.
almost none of the plush esc are in stock

What about the hobbyking brand esc's? Any idea how to tell if an esc will work with the kk board?
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
almost none of the plush esc are in stock

What about the hobbyking brand esc's? Any idea how to tell if an esc will work with the kk board?
These will do nicely. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html But then again most all of them in the 20-39 Amp section of HK would do well. The controllers are not that picky. I have run the SS series just fine. I am currently using this. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html They are just a little bit bigger but they never get warm no matter how hard I push it.
mr.incredible is online now Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
These will do nicely. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html But then again most all of them in the 20-39 Amp section of HK would do well. The controllers are not that picky. I have run the SS series just fine. I am currently using this. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html They are just a little bit bigger but they never get warm no matter how hard I push it.
Thanks. I read on rcexplorer here (1/3rd way down page)
http://rcexplorer.se/projects/TriV2/TriV2.html

that the controller could not keep up with the ppm signal of the esc. But it does look he is using a different board than the hobbyking KKboard in that write-up.

ya, I'm new to this....
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I read on rcexplorer here (1/3rd way down page)
http://rcexplorer.se/projects/TriV2/TriV2.html

that the controller could not keep up with the ppm signal of the esc. But it does look he is using a different board than the hobbyking KKboard in that write-up.

ya, I'm new to this....
I'm not sure about the hobbyking kkboard but I've built a bunch of tris using David's board or the kkblackboard and the rc-timer esc's work well. I've had one or two burn out on me so I've found it's good to order a few extras from Timer
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:36 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,868 Posts
Quote:
...and the rc-timer esc's work well. I've had one or two burn out on me...
Sounds like they dont really work that well !!
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
First open field footage of my tricopter filmed a couple weeks back.
Tricopter RCExplorer.se V2.5 Field Test (3 min 28 sec)

HK KK Board V2 with KUK FW1.6 on DT700 with Sentry 18A ESCs on 3S 200mAh 40C. I'm learning.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Sounds like they dont really work that well !!
Well I've put a lot of time on them and they are reliable enough. Especially for the price. I prefer the the Plush but if he can't find them they could be a good option.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuttry View Post
well i am pretty sure this isnt gonna work for my computer cause i dumb as a box of rocks on this stuff dont even know how to unzip files specially on windows 7 and all of these different programs are driving me nuts and my computer hates half of these files on here i put in the usb adapter and it lites up and computer says cant find drivers for this hardware then it kicks it out saying unable to install hardware get this out of my port ... or write with any periods or anything
Mate I know where you're at I been there too but I reckon between the lot of us we can get you sorted.

If anyone wants to step in and help or correct me then feel free
Start at the top

What board are you using ? HK KK or KK ?
Did you download AVR 4. I can't even understand AVR 5
Windwows 7 can be a p.i.t.a have you got anything with XP on it ? it's a doodle with XP
If HK KK did you download the manual for the board ? The directions for prog going are in there for AVR4
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:32 AM
Near Cape Town South africa
Joined Mar 2006
221 Posts
Hi Opus
Thats exactly what I do,,,, fling happily then I panick and cause I fly planes "the first no No" is I shut the throttle... I love the bell motors just hate the crappy soft shafts. I am thinking of changing to Carbon steel 3mm shafts from old Stiffy drives and prop adaptors as close to the bell as possible.
My Bloody tail Gyro insists on waggeling up and down and is driving me nuts, I will have to try and adjust it.
But I do love flying the Tri, way more than my mini heli.
Frans Cubitt is offline Find More Posts by Frans Cubitt
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
Near Cape Town South africa
Joined Mar 2006
221 Posts
Shelterock how did you reprograme the HK board for a TRI? as hey say Quad only?
Isnt the genuine KK board supposed to be better?
I want to either go Wii Ardino or KK whichever is the best
Frans Cubitt is offline Find More Posts by Frans Cubitt
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:22 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Cubitt View Post
Fran's I have flown and own both Arduino wii and HK KK.
IMHO the HK KK is quite flyable and for the money is a great starting board.
The arduino wii is the better to fly.

The HK KK is easy to prog for tri and the instructions are on the HK page for that product
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:24 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
First open field footage of my tricopter filmed a couple weeks back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncur6S3e-aw

HK KK Board V2 with KUK FW1.6 on DT700 with Sentry 18A ESCs on 3S 200mAh 40C. I'm learning.
H
Lookin good
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Cubitt View Post
I Bought the V2 board from HobbyKing, and they offer a USBasp programmer also, $20 for both total. There is a V2.1 for $14!!! I bought my USBasp from Ebay for $7 delivered. There are many choices and they differ by how friendly they are to install, USB driver specifically, on your PC or may work straight on a MAC. I used Windows 7 PC. You need a 10pin to 6 pin ISP converter or fidget with making your own. My $7 jobby had one on a nice circuit board offering both 10 and 6 pin capabilities for future proofing.

Then, I got Lazyzero.de KK multicopter Flash tool and used Tricopter Firmware 1.6 from KUK not XX.KR. 2.5. I did try 2.5 but it was problematic to configure the Gyros and KUK1.6 was straight forward.

I don't know the Wii platforms but they provide auto leveling which the KK doesn't, but is 3-7 times the price! I added an FY-20a from Feiyu Tech, we flew with on planes, and it levels the Tricopter. It is surprisingly stable without the auto leveling. Some say it is a crutch to fly with self leveling. I still crash a lot with it.!!! Doesn't stop you from doing stupid things or loosing orientation.

I fear it is a window Vs. MAc choice of Wii Vs KK. KK is cheap and a great way to know if you dig the platform. Wii is more involved and seemed more problematic to get all the pieces together. Prebuilt boards can run $150 and thats a lot. these Paris boards seem very good and add crazy gadgets. OpenCopter and other to check out if Money is no object.

I got my Tri in the air for $120!!! Yea. If you're new to Multirotors then the KK is probably your best learning experience and cheapest if you hang it in a tree and can't get to it!!
Happy Trails
H
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdiver View Post
I use Sentry 18A ESC and cut off the 2-3-4S balance plug that is attached to the ESC if you don't like them. They have Switched BEC circuits and just as good as the Plush for same Money! May find them in stock.
H